Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mxkinn01
Hello All,
I may be looking for a silver dot 150 mph speedometer.
I was out on a long drive in my 73 and the speedometer started bouncing (from 0 to 150), then started howling and then screaming. I pulled over and pulled the speedometer out of the bezel and unscrewed the cable from the back of the gauge. No more noise, no more bounce and of course no more working. When I pushed the gauge back into the bezel I noticed the needle was almost off and just dangling/resting on the stop.
Question, fixable or just find another one?

Thanks in advance
Mike
RickS
Definitely fixable. Try either North Hollywood Speedometer, Palo Alto Speedometer or Seattle Speedometer.
914Sixer
Check your cable, should turn freely by hand. after disconnecting it from transmission drive. Fix it first.
jdamiano
I had the same problem with my 73. I drove with the howling all the way home. It’s on its way back from Palo Alto now and I’m replacing my cable today. 300 bucks for the speedometer repair and 45 for the cable.
jdamiano
So if you decide to replace your speedometer cable it’s more than the 15 minute job some of the other posts here describe. My car required the center console be removed so the tie ties that captured the wiring harness and cable could be cut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.