Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Goes Between Rear Main Seal and Flywheel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorvated
My engine came with the flywheel detached so I'm not sure what goes where. Haynes manual mentions a felt washer and the exploded view from Autoatlanta shows two "sealing rings". My flywheel has a pilot bearing and my gasket kit has a new plate that goes on the outboard side of the flywheel under the five bolts. After installing the correct crankshaft shims and the new rear main seal, what goes between it and the flywheel and how do they fit? If the felt washer is one of the two "sealing rings" depicted in the exploded view, where/how is it fitted and is it saturated with oil first or left dry. Is the other "sealing ring" an o-ring and where/how is it fitted. Thanks.
motorvated
QUOTE(motorvated @ Feb 16 2020, 06:30 PM) *

My engine came with the flywheel detached so I'm not sure what goes where. Haynes manual mentions a felt washer and the exploded view from Autoatlanta shows two "sealing rings". My flywheel has a pilot bearing and my gasket kit has a new plate that goes on the outboard side of the flywheel under the five bolts. After installing the correct crankshaft shims and the new rear main seal, what goes between it and the flywheel and how do they fit? If the felt washer is one of the two "sealing rings" depicted in the exploded view, where/how is it fitted and is it saturated with oil first or left dry. Is the other "sealing ring" an o-ring and where/how is it fitted. Thanks.

For those who might be interested, since I got no replies on this thread, I found a thread on the Pelican site. It shows that the o-ring is fitted in a groove on the inside of the in-board side of the flywheel hub, and the felt washer is fitted beneath the retainer plate through which the flywheel bolts go on the outboard side of the flywheel. No mention of saturating the felt washer with oil, so I'm assuming that it goes in dry.
davep
Um, NO. The felt washer is supposed to retain oil to lubricate the pilot bearing behind it. Has the pilot bearing been replaced???
The big washer and the 5 bolts are really considered to be one time use items. I have reused the bolts in the past but one time the bolts came loose as did the flywheel, so the resulting damage was extensive. Bolts are cheap insurance; besides the are supposed to be stretch bolts, thus the one time use. Some mechanics use Loctite on the threads to prevent loosening.
motorvated
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 18 2020, 08:13 PM) *

Um, NO. The felt washer is supposed to retain oil to lubricate the pilot bearing behind it. Has the pilot bearing been replaced???
The big washer and the 5 bolts are really considered to be one time use items. I have reused the bolts in the past but one time the bolts came loose as did the flywheel, so the resulting damage was extensive. Bolts are cheap insurance; besides the are supposed to be stretch bolts, thus the one time use. Some mechanics use Loctite on the threads to prevent loosening.

The new flywheel that I am installing has a good pilot bearing in it already. I have a new big washer and have ordered the felt washer. If the washer arrives dry, are you saying that I should oil the pilot bearing and the felt washer prior to installing it? No grease in the pilot bearing, just oil?
Mark Henry
Use grease on the pilot bearing, just a small dab. A very thin coat of hi-temp grease on the input shaft will lube the felt seal. You want to use the grease sparingly as not to contaminate the friction surface, just a thin film.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
rear main, flywheel o ring, needle bearing, felt washer, flywheel five hole lock washer, flywheel bolts

QUOTE(motorvated @ Feb 16 2020, 06:30 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.