Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat exchanger delete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RolinkHaus
Looking to delete my exchangers, running header pipes out connecting to my exhaust. On a 75' can I turn my exhaust manifolds in the opposite direction?

Is there a company that sells the extensions for the manifolds?
bdstone914
You can turn them around but those do not flow well. You would be better with a complete header system. Is it a stock engine?
RolinkHaus
75' 2.0. I need headers that will marry to my muffler.
Mark Henry
That's a real hack so no one sells them, but a local muffler shop should be able to cobble something together.
barefoot
Here's my old stuff you can have cheap. Other side is mirror image.

Barefoot

Click to view attachment
RolinkHaus
If I just turn the header pipes facing out the back of the vehicle would that not be efficient? The problem is I spent far too much money on my muffler to not use it.

Isn’t back pressure the issue?
mb911
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Feb 18 2020, 04:56 AM) *

If I just turn the header pipes facing out the back of the vehicle would that not be efficient? The problem is I spent far too much money on my muffler to not use it.

Isn’t back pressure the issue?

They are not equal length which reduces low end TQ.
rhodyguy
What make of muffler do you own?
RolinkHaus
It’s a Leistritz muffler
rhodyguy
for what model year HE? Start figuring out what you're going to use for the rear hanger. You can't go straight back with those manifolds flipped.
RolinkHaus
I may just find some good exchangers, make it simple or headers, then sell the muffler.
mb911
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Feb 18 2020, 10:19 AM) *

I may just find some good exchangers, make it simple or headers, then sell the muffler.

Thats what I would do
rhodyguy
I think that would be a smart move. Look for a rotten set of 2.0 heat exchangers and remove the casings if you don't care about heat. They should be dirt cheap. There are a number of muffler/exhaust options with the 2.0s. 914rubber has the block off items you'll need for the holes in the engine shelve.
Brian914T
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Feb 16 2020, 08:27 PM) *

Looking to delete my exchangers, running header pipes out connecting to my exhaust. On a 75' can I turn my exhaust manifolds in the opposite direction?

Is there a company that sells the extensions for the manifolds?

I turned mine around, bolted cat bypass pipes to them.
Then fitted Harley Davidson mufflers onto them. Seems to breathe better and no problems beerchug.gif
drem914
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Feb 17 2020, 03:31 AM) *

what is the connection type to your muffler? Is it the triangle flange with one outlet each side or the trapezoid with two outlets from each of the headers?
drem914
QUOTE(drem914 @ Feb 9 2021, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Feb 17 2020, 03:31 AM) *

what is the connection type to your muffler? Is it the triangle flange with one outlet each side or the trapezoid with two outlets from each of the headers?

Just saw the orig. post is over a year old.
Probably a dead issue, but if anyone needs some headers with outHE's let me know.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.