Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New transaxle options for V8 and /6 powered 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
It appears these things are fairly strong as is, there is a company making a "race" wet clutch assembly as well.

The PDK logic is pretty neat and I think another stand alone controller will be seen in the near future along with the Auto Bionic version.

http://www.autobionics.co.uk/#buildingyourdreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3mkiKhW7as

Great thread on how they work.
If I read 1 post correctly you can read the voltages/signals real time with the Porsche tool (or knock off version of it)
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/11728...ansmission.html
sixnotfour
those strap angles ?

how trans works..wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGUVLBhzOE
]
Andyrew
Curious on the costs. I really think the next step for 914 guys so going to be a pdk of some kind. That will bring us back into line with these modern day supercars..
Mueller
I agree, this is some next level gear.

$7K-ish not including the adapter and shipping.

horizontally-opposed
PDK…

Awesome on track, autocross, or the autobahn—and pretty nifty upon first and subsequent exposure on the street. But for those who truly enjoy shifting for themselves, and that interaction with a car, it may only be a matter of time before they find themselves missing 2 of the 5 major control inputs available to a driver.

Still, a high-powered 914 with PDK would be a killer app for closed courses if the car was built around the technology. Its shift speeds, ability to access a gear up or gear down whenever, ability to shift with the throttle pinned, and tight gear stack are all super appealing. Downsides are weight and complexity. Not sure what PDK weighs against a 901 or 915/916, but it's 60-70 pounds heavier than a corresponding MT.
Cairo94507
I would certainly be interested in driving a 914 with a PDK. My brother's C4S had a PDK and I drove it often and really liked it. My S3 has the Audi version, DSG and I love that transmission- probably the best I have ever driven. I love shifting but the reality of getting older becomes an increasing factor in cars. I just pray my knees don't fail me so I can drive my Six when it comes home.
Mark Henry
Here PDK p-cars aren't selling too well, most enthusiasts still want a 5-6 speeds even though they know the PDK is faster on the track.
I read in pano (or the local PCA club mag Provinz) that Porsche will be selling sports cars with a 6 speed or PDK as a no charge option.
tygaboy
Delete
gandalf_025
Has anyone checked the fit of a newer GM front wheel drive setup.?

Back in the day, people were using the Toronado drivetrain in Corvairs.

425 ci engine with it's matching trans.. It was only a 3 speed automatic I think, but it could withstand the HP of a V8..

Must be something newer that could work..?? and not cost a fortune....

.Here is a Toronado trans....

Maybe too wide...??

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
^^
My Nissan v6 and trans is about 2" too wide to fit between the susp ears. Plus I'd have to cut up the trunk and lose top storage.
Andyrew
^ Biggest issue with a rear mounted engine is the loss of targa storage. and the weight bias change which really does affect handling.

Most v8's and such the firewall can be notched and have enough room for targa storage.

Roadkill Garage took a late model Impalla SS and pumped some power through it and drag raced it... THEN stuck ANOTHER engine/trans in the back and did it again.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1000hp-twin...ing-9s-ls-fest/
Mueller
Found another controller that claims to control the PDK, their videos show other types of DCTs.

$975EUR

http://htg-tuning.com/

sixnotfour
Clutch-by-wire or Virtual Clutch
idea.gif popcorn[1].gif type.gif
ClayPerrine
A few years ago, when Porsche released the new GT3 with the PDK, Betty and I were at an IMSA race at COTA. Porsche sent a couple of engineers to give a talk in the PCA hospitality suite. One of the questions from the assembled Porsche owners was "Does the new GT3 come with a manual transmission?" The response from the Porsche engineers was "No. The PDK is much faster." From the back of the crowd came a loud shout.... "IT'S BORING!" The engineers were taken aback. They could not understand why any sports car owner would not want the fastest car they could get.

After the GT3 came the GT4. And Porsche owners looking for a new GT3 got a GT4 instead. Because the GT4 was considered a "lower level" car from the GT3, the PDK was unavailable in it. The GT4 out-sold the GT3, and the majority of the GT4s sold had a manual transmission. That got the message through to Porsche. The latest GT3 is available with a manual transmission.

If I was racing professionally, I would want the GT3 with the PDK. As the engineers said, it is much faster. As a professional driver, I would be paid to win races. Unfortunately, I am not a pro driver. As a Porsche enthusiast, part of the experience of driving is the ability to shift for myself. Yes, the PDK can do it better. But I don't want one in my street car.

Click to view attachment

SAVE THE MANUAL!!!

theer
agree.gif

The "it's faster and thus better" argument kills me. Manual gearbox is another way to connect with the car. For me that's vitally important. Paddle shifting is not the same.. not even close. With a stick, I rarely forget what gear I'm in, with my 8-spd Audi SQ5 I NEVER know what gear I'm in without looking at the display. (Yes, I know the Audi is not a PDK unit, but it is a pretty quick & crisp shifting autobox).

PDK (and other dual clutch units) are superb, but just another insulator, removing yet another piece of driving enjoyment. For me. Glad to hear there are enough others that feel the same way to encourage some manufactures to keep offering a stick shift in sports cars.
thelogo
QUOTE(theer @ Feb 26 2020, 06:55 AM) *

agree.gif

The "it's faster and thus better" argument kills me. Manual gearbox is another way to connect with the car. For me that's vitally important. Paddle shifting is not the same.. not even close. With a stick, I rarely forget what gear I'm in, with my 8-spd Audi SQ5 I NEVER know what gear I'm in without looking at the display. (Yes, I know the Audi is not a PDK unit, but it is a pretty quick & crisp shifting autobox).

PDK (and other dual clutch units) are superb, but just another insulator, removing yet another piece of driving enjoyment. For me. Glad to hear there are enough others that feel the same way to encourage some manufactures to keep offering a stick shift in sports cars.

So when did the true manuel trans reach its zenith
And manufactures stop trying to improve it....?
Carrera gt ?

Acura nsx ?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(theer @ Feb 26 2020, 06:55 AM) *

agree.gif

^ Fully agreed.

After thinking about why I felt the way I did, I realized a sport car driver really only has five primary controls available: steering, shifter, and three pedals. An automatic transmission (which is what PDK really is) aces two of those—or 40% of a driver's interface with the car...or 50% of a car's hand controls and 33% of its foot controls. For some, this is a non-issue. And, on a track or autocross course or autobahn, I prefer PDK. There are also some cars that are either so fast or simply more in the character of PDK where PDK makes sense...but none of them appeal to me as much for fun driving as a car with three pedals. It's a very personal thing, and I can see where a V8 914 with big power and PDK could be an absolute blast[u]. It's a ton of power in such a light car...there will be plenty to keep on top of mentally, and that's where PDK really helps...this besides its speed of shifting, availability of gears, tight gear stack, etc.

QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 26 2020, 07:03 AM) *

So when did the true manuel trans reach its zenith
And manufactures stop trying to improve it....?
Carrera gt ?

Acura nsx ?

CGT shifter is kinda neat, being short side to side and long in the fore-aft movements...but I wouldn't say it's Porsche's greatest, or one of the greatest. Among those I've tried, four stand tall above the rest in terms of feel of shifter/fun in use:

Porsche GT4 (sublime, but you rarely need to use it with 2nd good to 82+ mph and 3rd good to 112 mph)
Honda S2000 (the gold standard until GT4, and maybe still equal despite being different)
Audi R8 (prefer to Ferrari gated shifters)
Jag E-type (I was amazed by this...)

There are some other great ones, but these really stood out to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.