Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 oil leak drivers side
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dt4
Evening all
Your thoughts and pointers as to the likely source of the oil leak please
Only noticed it since starting the car at the weekend after resolving the battery screw up problem Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
porschetub
Might pay to start with valve cover gaskets,then check pushrod tube seals,report how you get on beer.gif .
BeatNavy
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 17 2020, 03:55 PM) *

Might pay to start with valve cover gaskets,then check pushrod tube seals,report how you get on beer.gif .

agree.gif with P'Tub. You should be able to get a light on the valve cover edges and the pushrod tube ends and see if you see any drips or seepage. Valve covers and pushrods are the normal suspects with oil on HE's.
dt4
Is this with the engine in situ?

I shall consult my Hayes manual / google / youtube

thanks
BeatNavy
Yes, both can be done with engine in. Valve cover replacement / reseal is part of normal maintenance with valve adjustment. Pushrod tube seals are a little trickier, but there are plenty of threads here about how to do it. To do the pushrod tube seals you need to remove valve cover, so plan accordingly.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup like everyone said, left front leak valve cover gaskets or pushrod tube seals. The only other two possibilities are:

left front breather hose leaking
thermostat roller stud loose and leaking
dt4
thanks Rob and George
ClayPerrine
On the passenger side it could also be the oil pressure sender or oil cooler seals.

porschetub
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 19 2020, 07:31 AM) *

On the passenger side it could also be the oil pressure sender or oil cooler seals.

agree.gif ask me know how I know that on the oil pressure sender on my last overhaul biggrin.gif .
Motor otherwise looks tight and dry but yes cooler seals could be an issue but not worth checking yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.