Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center console rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stuckon914
I’ve searched but can’t find anything; does anyone have a write-up on how to replace the vinyl and restore the center console/dash that holds 3 gauges.
StarBear
Can't say that I have either. Several vendors sell reproduction units though don't know which ones are best (just starting that road myself...).
914Sixer
What makes them difficult is the pieces are heat sealed on. Closest process for doing this is the home food bag sealer. Always though the sides should have been done it carpet and just the center in vinyl.
Stuckon914
Hard to do and reproductions are available; sounds like a good combinations to keep DIY activity low
jagalyn
There are no good reproductions of the original console. All have seams that do not replicate the factory seams. That is the reason the original console values are so high... there are in great demand for a perfect one. Many of the used ones for sale have burns, tears or the seams coming apart. If you can find one in excellent condition, it is the exception and not the rule.
bkrantz
I would like to know, too. My console is in good shape except where the PO cut holes in the sides for speakers.
Mark Henry
The hard part is it's a fitted cover, the factory does this with molded vinyl and a faux stitching along the edges.
A higher end car would have done this in leather with real stitching along the outside edge. Unfortunately vinyl doesn't stitch well, even heavy cloth backing doesn't sew well on the top of the edge, as it pulls the holes too big and looks like crap. You can stitch from the inside, but the seam isn't correct and can bunch up in hard spots.
iankarr
I bought a console from @mikey914 a few years back. I don't know if they still make em. Not quite OEM but close. And they had them to fit the original gauges or modern ones, which are a bit smaller.
Mikey914
Ours are not thermally sealed but do look close. We are in production of another group of them now.
Mark
DucRS
Not concours but good enough for me. Had a local gal cover it for $60 bucks confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Stuckon914
QUOTE(DucRS @ Feb 18 2020, 07:32 PM) *

Not concours but good enough for me. Had a local gal cover it for $60 bucks confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Looks really good.
StarBear
Very nice!
QUOTE(DucRS @ Feb 18 2020, 07:32 PM) *

Click to view attachment

StarBear
Would be great to be able to match the faux top seams. Mine split many years ago; wide black electrical tape used since then - most people don't notice, except other 'teeners.
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 18 2020, 06:12 PM) *

Ours are not thermally sealed but do look close. We are in production of another group of them now.
Mark

morsmanlaw
Because I wanted to experiment with a 911-style rubber shift boot, I remade the horizontal portion of the console, using MDF and some extra door material I had. Not correct, of course, but doesn't look too out of place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.