Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauges with green needles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgarrison
Hi,

I'm new here. I just picked up a 71 & 74 rollers in Tucson, AZ. The 71 has VDO gauges with green needles, including the center console.

Does anyone have any idea how/why the needles would be green?

The car looks like it was originally yellow. I also found a small notebook in the car that indicates it was picked up in Pensacola in December 1991.

I'll try to attach a couple pics of the car and the gauges.

Thanks,

Mike

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Someone opened the gauge and painted the needle.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 18 2020, 08:32 AM) *

Someone opened the gauge and painted the needle.

agree.gif
mgarrison
Ok, thanks. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to!

Mike
PanelBilly
Makes the car faster....
bretth
Maybe painted with glow in dark green paint? That might be useful.
Chris914n6
Likely color blind. Red looks like black.
ctc911ctc
POST MORE ABOUT THE ROLLERS!

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Feb 18 2020, 11:17 AM) *

Hi,

I'm new here. I just picked up a 71 & 74 rollers in Tucson, AZ. The 71 has VDO gauges with green needles, including the center console.

The car looks like it was originally yellow. I also found a small notebook in the car that indicates it was picked up in Pensacola in December 1991.

Thanks,

Mike

Click to view attachment

mgarrison
Not sure how to get more pics of the rollers. It would not let me add another pic - newbie mistake I am sure...

The color blind comment is too funny I'm red-green color deficient and did not even notice the gauge needles were green! My wife had to mention it to me!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
maybe someone had them changed for st patties day, but certainly not stock

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Feb 18 2020, 09:17 AM) *

Hi,

Thanks,

Mike

Click to view attachment

mgarrison
My browser hangs every time I try to add another pic...

Got both rollers from a guy named Tim in Tucson, AZ. Tim also has a running 1973, but dont know any details on it. I was looking into building a Factory Five 818, but the price of the kit was a bit too much for me. Using a Subaru flat four mid-engine got me thinking of the 914, so I started watching Craigslist for any cheap 914's without an engine, etc.

The green car with green gauges is a 1971. It seems pretty rusted out which makes me a bit sad. To my untrained eyes it looks like it needs front & rear trunk floors, rocker panels, and most if not all of the main floor pan.

The red car is a 1974 that has been stripped for an electric conversion, so the story goes. It has very little rust, but the front trunk floor pan was cut out and they attempted repair by robbing the front trunk pan from the green car! The welding job is horrific, if you can really call it welding. I plan on ordering the AC repair front trunk pan and welding it in properly.

I had a friend in HS that drove a 914. Always liked that car. My first car was a 1969 Saab Sonett V4 that was in our back yard. The engine & trans were in the garage. Took me about a year to get it squared away pretty well. Restored it more completely years later.

I needed a new project to keep me off the streets.
Costa05
Mike
I am also doing a 73 subie conversion in Laveen Az. Not too far from you. Shoot me a PM if you want to see my build sometime and/or hear about my challenges. Assuming you are not paying the
professionals to do your conversion for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.