Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: air tubes (hoses ?) and heaterblower on a 1974 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
Hi guys,

I tried the search function but for some reason it doesn't work. If below was posted before then sorry, can't find it.

My 74 is currently crossing the ocean but I am already ordering some parts.
When previous owner had the engine out and cleaned up the enginebay he did not re-install the heater box. The part comes with the car and it is my intention to put it back in place.
I am looking online for the airhoses (no idea what the proper name is) and I see all kind of materials... fm silicone over aluminium... Also I sometimes see 1 hose/tube and sometimes 2 ...

Questions :
* what is the best hose to use on a 1974 2.0. Certain partnr or just buy some hoses and cut them to length ?
* is there one or are there 2 hoses ?
* if 2, is the passengerside hose just routed over the engine ?
* any pics available of a stock 1974 2.0 enginebay ?

remark : I saw even people installing an additional heaterblower on the passengerside squeezed between the battery and the ECU

I am talking about this hose/tube

Click to view attachment

But I also see this

Click to view attachment

I know that a lot of Cali/desert/Florida guys just have no heat at all ... lucky bast*rds biggrin.gif

Thks for your help

Dax

note : pictures posted are fm the "originality" section

Mikey914
The "correct" hose is a paper tuber with aluminum foil. It's easily damaged. We sell a flexible PVC tube with a wire reinforcement that is difficult to damage and will hold up for this application.

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/h...blower-hose-set

There is at least 1 hose. If your blower has a second port, you can utilize a second hose.

I may have a spare if you need to upgrade to the dual hose option.

For some reason we don't have a picture of the hose in the engine compartment, but it looks like this
911GT2
I have pretty much the same question. Only for the 1.8.

It seems my 1.8 has one outlet. But somebody hacked up a creative solution for that.
Click to view attachment
barf.gif

I know AA sells a conversion piece for two outlets. But I'd like to know how it would have come stock. And if the other port would have been blocked off?
dax1969
There is at least 1 hose. If your blower has a second port, you can utilize a second hose.

Thks, didn't know that.... Think I have to wait till the car is here so I can have a look at the blower if it has one or two ports.

Damn, waiting waiting ... hope the vessel has wind fm behind biggrin.gif

rgds
Dax
911GT2
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Feb 21 2020, 02:43 AM) *

Thks, didn't know that.... Think I have to wait till the car is here so I can have a look at the blower if it has one or two ports.

Damn, waiting waiting ... hope the vessel has wind fm behind biggrin.gif

rgds
Dax

You got lucky... I just got the news that due to a new law cars from New York can't be exported anymore. So now it takes at least additional 15 days to get a new (non Ney York) title.
TheCabinetmaker
55, or 60 mm hose. Available new from any vw supply house. Vans use the same hose. I get mine from the Bughaus, because they are two miles from me.
TheCabinetmaker
The dual outlet is an adapter, or splitter.
dax1969

[/quote]
You got lucky... I just got the news that due to a new law cars from New York can't be exported anymore. So now it takes at least additional 15 days to get a new (non Ney York) title.
[/quote]

I know, received a newsletter fm my shipper.... Luckily I only looked buying a car out of Cali or Florida. Vessel is halfway and should arrive Rdam 27/2
dax1969
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Feb 21 2020, 02:59 PM) *

55, or 60 mm hose. Available new from any vw supply house. Vans use the same hose. I get mine from the Bughaus, because they are two miles from me.

thks for the info...will check that route

bye
Dax
Rob-O
Early cars had the blower on a mount over the fan housing. It had two outlets, one going to each exchanger. The later cars had the blower on the drivers side in the engine bay. It had one hose going to the drivers side exchanger. The passenger side exchanger was just blocked off. There was an adapter that you could buy that attached the the single style, late blower, that split the one outlet into two. It came with a short hose and a long hose. Short side to drivers side exchanger and long hose to passenger side exchanger.

As a side note the blowers were really just to help move air at idle. The majority of the air flow is coming from the engine cooling fan housing while the car is at speed. While my preference is to get the small fan operational and correctly hooked up, if everything else is in place on the exchanger system, the small fans really aren’t needed. Running heat with just the exchangers themselves will burn the hair off your legs...
bbrock
Did all come with the same hose material? In the 80s, I bought a couple of Genuine Porsche replacement hoses and they were black plastic like the first pic in the original post. I've also seen pics of cars with the black paper and foil hoses so wonder what was original for a given model year.
Rob-O
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 21 2020, 07:02 AM) *

Did all come with the same hose material? In the 80s, I bought a couple of Genuine Porsche replacement hoses and they were black plastic like the first pic in the original post. I've also seen pics of cars with the black paper and foil hoses so wonder what was original for a given model year.

Not sure about that but I thought Mark answered above. Seems they were paper with foil inside. Personally I don’t recall seeing anything but paper with foil inside on all air passages on the car.
DRPHIL914
Dax, for the front if you want the OEM stuff I just installed these and I got them on Amazon made by URO.
The correct tubing is 60mm. They are the correct dimensions and length. 914rubber has the rubber gasket that goes into the front bulk head where the tubes go thru.
Also I sourced a 60mm tube from Porsche carried by Stoddards and it’s black you will see in in my pictures -
914werke
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Feb 21 2020, 07:05 AM) *

Not sure about that but I thought Mark answered above. Seems they were paper with foil inside. Personally I don’t recall seeing anything but paper with foil inside on all air passages on the car.

Mark was inaccurate and Rob-0 your memory is correct by 74 those tubes in the cowl were changed to an accordion formed plastic. The ones in the cabin were always the paper foil type
bbrock
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Feb 21 2020, 08:05 AM) *

I think I found the answer at least for my car. There are some good engine bay shots of two 73 and one 76 cars in the survivors thread in the originality forum http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...101921&st=0

They all have the black plastic hoses like the Genuine Porsche hoses I used to buy. Here's an example from @smg94 's car.

IPB Image

And then in the engine bay thread there is an exchange starting with this post that makes me wonder if early were black plastic too? confused24.gif http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=959985

I believe all the hoses up front were always paper/foil but am thinking at least for my car, black plastic is correct for the engine bay blower hose.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
With the advent of the bigger blower motor in 1973 the factory thought that they could eliminate the second hose and just use the left drivers side j pipe as the aux blow entry (remember that fan is to help the impeller flow the heat to the front. By 75.5, an extra hose to the right was again added for extra blowing power.
Your car only has one hose and since the factory has long discontinued the original hose we use a very high quality aftermarket blower hose in its place. Looks well enough there so if someone did not know they would think it original.
We also had made the branch like the factory had, to turn the blower into a dual hose arrangement.

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Feb 21 2020, 02:24 AM) *

Hi guys,

I tried the search function but for some reason it doesn't work. If below was posted before then sorry, can't find it.

My 74 is currently crossing the ocean but I am already ordering some parts.
When previous owner had the engine out and cleaned up the enginebay he did not re-install the heater box. The part comes with the car and it is my intention to put it back in place.
I am looking online for the airhoses (no idea what the proper name is) and I see all kind of materials... fm silicone over aluminium... Also I sometimes see 1 hose/tube and sometimes 2 ...

Questions :
* what is the best hose to use on a 1974 2.0. Certain partnr or just buy some hoses and cut them to length ?
* is there one or are there 2 hoses ?
* if 2, is the passengerside hose just routed over the engine ?
* any pics available of a stock 1974 2.0 enginebay ?

remark : I saw even people installing an additional heaterblower on the passengerside squeezed between the battery and the ECU

I am talking about this hose/tube

Click to view attachment

But I also see this

Click to view attachment

I know that a lot of Cali/desert/Florida guys just have no heat at all ... lucky bast*rds biggrin.gif

Thks for your help

Dax

note : pictures posted are fm the "originality" section
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.