Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 914 versus 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andreic
What would you take: a well sorted out 1972 914 1.7L with no rust and everything running perfectly, or a 1976 911S 2.7L with unknown history, but generally good appearance. (Nothing known on the history of the engine.)

I have the opportunity to trade, and am debating if getting into the 911 world is a nightmare waiting to happen. (I don't have thousands and thousands to spend on fixing lots of things up...)

Curious to hear people's opinions.
Coondog
911 all day long. Then backdate the bumpers...... idea.gif
Beebo Kanelle
914 - There is no substitute.
mepstein
Value wise it’s the 911 all day long. There’s always been a strong market for the 911 vs 914. But you are the one who has to like what’s in your garage.
PanelBilly
Is this for a car to drive or an investment?
horizontally-opposed
Not enough information/would want to see pics of both.

"Price" favors the 911 all day long, but "value" is a funny thing. And the potential repair cost for that 911 engine is well in five figures should you need to address anything major.

On the other hand, you could probably still sell or even part out that 911 on your way back into another 914.

On a wholly different level: When it came to selling a really nice 911 SC coupe or selling my 914 in order to purchase a wedding ring, it was the SC that left the stable. Yes, it was worth more (and therefore more helpful in terms of $ while getting ready to get married), but even back then something felt more special to me about the 914. I felt like I would always be able to find another nice 911, but that I wouldn't be able to replace my 914. In the end, it comes down to the connection you have with your 914…but 914s feel more special to me now than they did back then. OTOH, 911s are very special things...and icons for a reason.
Unobtanium-inc
The 911 will be worth more but will also cost more to maintain. It really depends on what you want to drive. Personally a 914 is in some ways funner than a 70s 911, at least in autocross. So yes a better long term move because the 911 will continue to appreciate at a faster clip than the 914, but you are the one who will have to drive, insure, and maintain either car. A 911 is a bigger commitment and an unknown.
Mark Henry
Depends on the car, personally I'd keep the "rust free" 914 and build a 2.0 "fun engine."

I'm assuming the 911 is a targa, so both the 914 and 911 are the lowest value examples. Most of the car from a full on resto to regular daily driver maintenance it's about the same.
Engine is the big question, all /6 suffer a set of issues. Diving into a top end may not be too bad, but as soon as you split the case you're likely into $10K.
I'd definitely have a PPI on the engine condition.
thelogo
Let talk regular maintenance

911 maintence not cheap

914 /4 maintence dirt cheap

As explained to me by my mechanic ( nice guy )
when
He forbid me to get a /6 $$$$$

Shout out to the cheap sob
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the 74-77 911s were the WORST of the breed, the 964 being second. However the 72 914 is not the best of that breed either, and lets face it, the 911 is worth more.
I would have the engine leaked down (differential cylinder pressure test) and if the leakdown is good, make the trade.

QUOTE(andreic @ Feb 21 2020, 09:37 AM) *

What would you take: a well sorted out 1972 914 1.7L with no rust and everything running perfectly, or a 1976 911S 2.7L with unknown history, but generally good appearance. (Nothing known on the history of the engine.)

I have the opportunity to trade, and am debating if getting into the 911 world is a nightmare waiting to happen. (I don't have thousands and thousands to spend on fixing lots of things up...)

Curious to hear people's opinions.

sb914
Ask @larmo63
Unobtanium-inc
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Feb 21 2020, 02:24 PM' post='2787945']
the 74-77 911s were the WORST of the breed, the 964 being second.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah, but the mid-70's 911's are also 40+ years old, so all the problems they had as newer cars have all been dealt with by now. I would think most of the bad head studs have been taken care of in 40 years. It's like in 20 years someone out there will be bashing 996's, saying beware of the IMS.
Saying a 76 911 might be bad news in 1984 makes sense, in 2020 it looks out of touch.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 21 2020, 02:24 PM) *

the 74-77 911s were the WORST of the breed, the 964 being second. However the 72 914 is not the best of that breed either, and lets face it, the 911 is worth more.

What's the matter with 964's? I love mine. I'm not in love with the bumpers but (IMHO) it's a much better car than model it replaced. Better engine, transmission, suspension, ventilation
Ansbacher
Let's see...Porsche built 1,049,000 911s so far and only 118,978 914s forever. The rare bird is always the more interesting- stay with the 914!

Ansbacher
mepstein
Ever since Singer used the 964 as a base, the prices have gone through the roof. Unless a customer wants a RS or RSR tribute, the builds all get 964/993 engines. I drove a beautiful RSA that could perform at the track but still get groceries. It’s not my dream car but I wouldn’t kick it out of the garage.
Larmo63
I love my 911. I loved all of my my 914s, especially the 6 conversion I built myself. I loved all of the 356s I owned and my 912s too. I may be buying a '69 912 sunroof soon. Basically, I have loved every Porsche I've ever owned, and the '78 SC Targa I have now is one incredible car. Life is short, variety is the spice of life. I'm glad I made the trade, and I don't really like to look back.

The factory Slate Gray 356 coupe I sold may be the exception. headbang.gif
billh1963
[quote name='Unobtanium-inc' date='Feb 21 2020, 05:46 PM' post='2787953']
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Feb 21 2020, 02:24 PM' post='2787945']
the 74-77 911s were the WORST of the breed, the 964 being second.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah, but the mid-70's 911's are also 40+ years old, so all the problems they had as newer cars have all been dealt with by now. I would think most of the bad head studs have been taken care of in 40 years. It's like in 20 years someone out there will be bashing 996's, saying beware of the IMS.
Saying a 76 911 might be bad news in 1984 makes sense, in 2020 it looks out of touch.
[/quote]

Exactly. The mid-years (as the '74-'77 is called) have gained quite a following in the last couple of years. Narrow body like the early cars but later model bumpers (unfortunately) with some of the refinements.

I sold my three 3.2 Carrera's but kept my '76!

Click to view attachment

RolinkHaus
The essence of Porsche is the 911. I love the 914 because of its rebirth between VW and Porsche, such a beautiful legacy between the two companies. As a child my first memory of Porsche was hearing that flat6. Enuff said

Watch this video and you will quickly make your decision.

https://youtu.be/VBxaiNvYrcI
johnlush
Totally depends on the condition of the 911. Sounds like you know your 914 pretty well. I'd much rather have a nice '72 914 than a ratty mid-year 911. What's the motivation of the 911 owner to do the trade?
eric9144
QUOTE(johnlush @ Feb 21 2020, 07:16 PM) *

Totally depends on the condition of the 911. Sounds like you know your 914 pretty well. I'd much rather have a nice '72 914 than a ratty mid-year 911. What's the motivation of the 911 owner to do the trade?

agree.gif
I've had multiple 914s and a really awesome 6 along with an exceptional 84 911...like one the story's above when the time came, the 911 was sent on its way and I kept the 914 because I knew it would be harder to replace and honestly it was more endearing to me on many levels. The '76 911 was two years into big bumpers, catalysts and non-dipped bodies...the 2.7's pull studs, if the condition was unknown, I'd personally opt for the 914.

Really though its up to you and what you want to do with it!
PlaysWithCars
Wow, tough call. The 911 is refined and more comfortable, the 914 raw and honest. If I could keep only one it would be the 914. I love the driving experience and am constantly amazed by the packaging done by the engineers. Passenger compartment is comfortable (even for my 6'4" frame), the top stores in back w/o compromising any trunk capacity and the spare can go in the front or rear to suit your needs. Absolutely amazing.
914-300Hemi
The issue is the 914 is a 1.7 and you will want more performance after a while.
The 911 is more comfortable then a 914. If you are married your spouse will appreciate the 911.
There is always something special about driving both.
I would drive both and get the best Porsche that fits you.
You can’t go wrong with either decision.
Good luck on your decision.
Steve
This is a 914 website, so we might be a little biased. I personally didn’t like my 993 and sold it. It was heavy, bulky and I didn’t like the lift throttle oversteer. My 914 has a 3.2 drivetrain with 916 gearbox, so performance was better than the 993 with 4 speed tiptronic. However I wish I would of also kept the 993 and convert it to a Manuel gearbox. If I had to choose between both cars I would still keep my 914. Now choosing between a four banger 914 and similar condition 911, I would choose the 911. The 911 is worth more money and I don’t like gutless cars. People drive crazy in so cal. If I can’t get to 80mph by the end of the on ramp, I won’t drive it.
Rleog
I think that you need to have that 2.7 L assessed very carefully.
Jett
Recently bought a 77 Targa because we loved the narrow body and color. The 2.7 was rebuilt by a highly reputable builder and the thermal reactors were already replaced. That said, because the G body cars were not very expensive, over time the car was neglected. As you can see we are replacing the stock suspension, and every mechanical system rebuilt... brake hoses and shocks were original, wheel bearings and axles needed replacing. The interior was also original and fully worn out, which also needed attention.

All that said, we love this car because of the color and uniqueness (the Bamberg radio has a microphone that dictates to tape), but would sell it long before we considered selling the 73 Delphi 2.0 914.

Btw. The 2.7 is surprisingly fast, and kinda feels like an early muscle car, but if you want to go fast then a 2001 996TT is the best choice (IMO) for the money smile.gif no IMS issues but make sure that the water hoses have been pinned.
sixnotfour
But those 911 fenders from the drivers seat, make me cross eyed... wacko.gif
Jett
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 22 2020, 10:59 AM) *

But those 911 fenders from the drivers seat, make me cross eyed... wacko.gif

Next time you are in town, you can take it for a spin.
andreic
Well, I don't know much about the 911, its owner passed away and it is being sold as an estate sale, with no history of work done on it. They claim they had an offer of $22k for it, but they'd like to see if they can get more.

From the pictures it looks like a car that is in good condition, but was not a show car. I may try to go have a look at it tomorrow, it is 2 hours away.

What I do know is that my current 914 took almost two years to get sorted out. It was in "running condition" but that meant I needed to redo brakes, fuel lines, fuel pump, paint job, new clutch... all costs added to around $8k on a car that cost $6k originally. I don't regret it, it now drives very nicely, but I can't afford buying a $22k car that will need another $20k in repairs...
billh1963
That 911 has sports seats...which is a premium
horizontally-opposed
Sport seats a big plus, but…

The vent windows (trying to remember when those stopped being available, even by special order), some of the wear and tear (which indicates neglect and, possibly, a 911 that might need "everything" to be nice), and visible rust on some undercarriage stuff (may be superficial, but I'd want to poke around) would probably have me take a pass.

Targa v targa, I'd take the targa. Porsche learned a lot from the 911 Targa and applied it to the targa-topped 914. And yours is nicely sorted while this 911 comes with a largely unknown history? Yep, 911s are cool but I'd probably keep the 914. Just my two cents...
mepstein
If you can’t afford $20k in repairs, definitely get a real PPI.
Front yard mechanic
That car running is worth 22 all day long. Just look on the bird and compair
IronHillRestorations
The 911 looks decent, but the ice pick is the true test.

If you are happy with your 914, stick with it. Car for car the 914 wins this one IMHO; better useability, better handling, and it's more of a known quantity.

If the 911 is a solid chassis and the engine isn't worn out, you might be able to come out ahead on it, but if it's going to push your pocketbook, it could be an expensive albatros.

I'm a 914 lover, but I got a 964 targa about three years ago, and I'm happy with it. The 3.6 is fun, and the modern ventilation is nice. I miss the luggage space the 914 has, and the 914 roof is a better design and easier to stow. I think the 911 targa might leak less than a 914, but that's a toss up.
barefoot
Starting in 1976, Porsche started using fully galvanized bodies on the 911's.
When I got my 1980 Targa, while there was lots of road rash on the front valance & bumper, there was NO rust on the body. This from an Ohio car that may have been subjected to heavily salted roads in the winter.

76 was a bad year for the thermal reactors that resulted in extra heat exposure to the motor and some pulled head studs but the underside shot looks as it may have been updated ??.. Have somebody who knows to a PPI by all means.

God luck
Superhawk996
Easy choice for me.

Real sports cars are mid-engine and don't have back seats. happy11.gif
thelogo
Something about a red 911 or (mustang ) that just rubs me the wrong way

If your jane fonda or Goldie Hawn thats one thing
But a red 911 would be the last car id go near

Unless it was wine red... smile.gif
RickS
QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 23 2020, 02:59 PM) *

Couldn’t agree more. Wine red is gorgeous but I got stuck with this POS with Goldie wheels 7s and 9s.

Click to view attachment

As far as choosing between the 914 and a 911, I would strongly recommend getting a PPI. A complete engine rebuild is now about $15K. Tranny rebuild figure $3,000. You know what you are getting with the teener, but without a PPI on the 911, you could end up paying more than you ever bargained for. If it needs body work.....

I dig my SC EFI for long haul drives because it is so comfortable but appreciate it because it is so difficult to drive well at the limit. The power can not be denied as a big plus.

Love my 914-6 conversion but it’s too brutal a ride for more than 4 hours at a time. I was underwhelmed with the 1.7 but the carbed 3.0 transformed it to being a real blast.
cali914
911 all day long
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 23 2020, 02:59 PM) *

I'm a firm believer that Ferrari's should be red, and Porsche's should be silver. I put my money where my mouth last year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.