Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got new battery installed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
wieghs 12 lbs mueba.gif
I also relocated the battery from the rear trunk to the engine compartment.
Made a bracket from steel strip 1 1/2" wide and mounted the battery to the engine shelf passenger side next to the firewall.

Last year I had to tear out the orginal battery tray and repair the hell hole. When I did I just made the shelf straight across to the inner fender well.

Got plenty of power to roll engine over easily either hot or cold.

I 'll get pics tonight so hang on OK?
nebreitling
interesting idea.gif

is this a sealed battery?
drew365
This is the one I put in my car about 8 months ago. Never had a problem with it, even when the car is slow to start the battery has kept cranking.
drew365
Don't know if you can see it in this picture but I built a holder for it out of foam and balsa wood so it can sit in a full size battery holder in case I ever need to swap in a full size battery while at the track.
Joe Ricard
Yes Nathan it is sealed. Lead tin. heat, vibration, and spill proof.
got it on Ebay for like 75.00 shipped.
J P Stein
Cheepest way to loose 25lbs you ever find....cept goin' on a diet.
J P Stein
Oh wait...a pic. This spot is like it was made for it...or vice versa
bd1308
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jul 5 2005, 07:38 AM)
wieghs 12 lbs mueba.gif
I also relocated the battery from the rear trunk to the engine compartment.
Made a bracket from steel strip 1 1/2" wide and mounted the battery to the engine shelf passenger side next to the firewall.

Last year I had to tear out the orginal battery tray and repair the hell hole. When I did I just made the shelf straight across to the inner fender well.

Got plenty of power to roll engine over easily either hot or cold.

I 'll get pics tonight so hang on OK?

dare how much i ask? I'm going to relocate my battery....but I am not really excited about cutting holes in my rear trunk or lengthening the battery cables.
neo914-6
Is the PC 680 the model of choice?
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 5 2005, 11:07 AM)
[/QUOTE]
dare how much i ask? I'm going to relocate my battery....but I am not really excited about cutting holes in my rear trunk or lengthening the battery cables.

Just go take a peak at EBAY. search PC680.

Dang JP that is an awefull PURDY car ya got there. Must make ya whince real good if'n you hit a cone.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jul 5 2005, 11:12 AM)
Is the PC 680 the model of choice?

Seems to be the popular choice. plenty of power for a 4 banger 7.8 : 1 compression.
nebreitling
7.8 to 1 compression? are you running 56 octane fuel or something?

n (9.65:1, and i think it's too low)
bd1308
9.5:1...what do you run, jet fuel?
nebreitling
just CA 91. it's kind of on the "edge" for the gas we get out here. i like to add a little octane boost, just for peace of mind.

keep thinking that i should've gone 10:1, but don't know if the cam would've been happy. oh well.
Joe Ricard
Bus pistons that's as high as I can get it. But yea I'll race ya. I ain't scared to turn 7K RPMS either. I can whip the Cooper S all day long. Well at least to 100 MPH.

9.5 :1 would be the sweet deal for power
bd1308
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jul 5 2005, 01:58 PM)
just CA 91. it's kind of on the "edge" for the gas we get out here. i like to add a little octane boost, just for peace of mind.

keep thinking that i should've gone 10:1, but don't know if the cam would've been happy. oh well.

so you dont have 93 out there? hmm...i now run my engine with mid-grade...bc i dont want the engine to detonate..
lapuwali
No, the best we have at the pumps is 91. btw, jet fuel has very low octane... wink.gif
bd1308
hmm....i thought i recalled seeing 110 octane for jet fuel when i flew the cessna....I loved doing that
brant
I like that battery!

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 5 2005, 01:10 PM)
hmm....i thought i recalled seeing 110 octane for jet fuel when i flew the cessna....I loved doing that

thas AVgas - piston engine craft......

AA
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 5 2005, 01:10 PM)

you get hit in the head by the prop??? biggrin.gif laugh.gif

avgas is totally different than "jet fuel"

I think Jake recommends running a compression higher than stock in our /4 motors from what I've read....
bd1308
i think I did...i saw alot of blood from something. that would explain alot fo things now wouldn't it?

can't hide from the cops if you leave a blood trail
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 5 2005, 04:50 PM)
can't hide from the cops if you leave a blood trail

ask OJ ...
bd1308
i see a red light going off in my head....so i'm not gonna touch the OJ stuff.
J P Stein
QUOTE (brant @ Jul 5 2005, 12:43 PM)
I like that battery!

I coulda guessed that...you painted your car to match laugh.gif
Highly inefficient mounting, tho.....2 straps vs my one ...tho they are thinner + 2 more fasteners....trade off as your mounting position is superior for CG, it's a push wink.gif
Joe Ricard
Yup 1 strap very low and forward of the rear wheels.
Joe Ricard
Man I really nee to get my shit together and clean that engine room. rolleyes.gif
brant
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jul 5 2005, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ Jul 5 2005, 12:43 PM)
I like that battery!

I coulda guessed that...you painted your car to match laugh.gif
Highly inefficient mounting, tho.....2 straps vs my one ...tho they are thinner + 2 more fasteners....trade off as your mounting position is superior for CG, it's a push wink.gif

JP,

you crack me up.
I'm going to give you the strap victory..

but I was trying to save extra hardware in my ground wire department...

ha....

brant
grantsfo
oooh another excuse for me to use my new grinder! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.