Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting old(er) added air now fuel injection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
So after 2018 the wife and decided that we just didn't want to drive in the heat any more. So last year I install air... It's so nice driving with the windows up and cool! The only issue is the carbs. We have to turn off the AC at stops and stop and go traffic. Now we are looking at fuel injection kits. We are leaning towards a kit from CB Performance: https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7075.htm

Here's some photos of the AC. I modified the underdash unit as I did not want to cut my center console.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
akellym
Click to view attachment
akellym
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
akellym
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
akellym
I will upload more pics as soon as I can find them! So much for Google photos.
BeatNavy
Nice! I've got an AC kit that I haven't installed yet. I have had a lot of other projects, and I'm a bit hesitant to start cutting up the car. Plus I installed a center console a year or so ago and wasn't sure how to handle with the condenser. I may ask you for some more pics on how you modified it at some point.
76-914
AC is a must down here. So much more civilized. My wife persuaded me also. biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
Thank you for posting.
I'm interested in installing AC in my 6 conversion.
All usefull info.
akellym
I found a few more pics. I apparently lost all the other other photos! If you look close you can see where I routed the duct hose over the top of the center console.

Click to view attachment
akellym
Click to view attachment
akellym
Had to cut engine tin to get the compressor to fit. I kept all the tin I cut out just in case. Modifying the underdash was easier than I thought it would be. I write up a "how I did it".

The Engine didn't seem to run any hotter with the AC on.

Click to view attachment
akellym
We bought the AC kit from https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1973-po...tioning-system/

The customer service was beyond bad... and their statement:

INSTALLATION’S A BREEZE!
The RetroFit™ 1973 Porsche 914-4 LHD air conditioning system is designed specifically to bolt into your 1973 Porsche 914-4 LHD with minimum modification to your vehicle. Each kit comes with detailed, easy-to-follow installation instructions and mounting template.

Not so much. I guess you can say it was worth it for the main parts.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
For AC you are better off running a plenum induction system. If your engine is basicly stock with carbs the plenem will be just as powerful and easier to tune. Performance engine will lose some but may be worth it for drivablity and ease of maintenance.

Cb system IIRC is modified GM unit, works but not my favorite.

SDS is the simplest system to tune and has an AC fast idle relay. They work good on stockish engines you can run fuel only with a stock ignition and save install time. Con is it costs more and you have to run TPS only for ITB's and healthy cams.

MS will also work with your AC, can be cheaper, but con is the tuning is a steeper learning curve.
akellym
Our current engine setup is 1.911 with 44 Weber's Web cam and lifters. We like the look and sound of the dual carbs, so that is one of the reasons for looking at the CB kit or kits like it.

Mark Henry
Do a search and visit thesamba.com for reviews on the CB system. If you decide on a different system you can still use the CB TB's like the system from Dubshop uses.

akellym
I have talked with Mario at the Dub Shop he say they don't currently have a system for AC but are working on one but it's months away from being ready.

I also talked with Steve over at Top End Performance and they recommend this kit: https://www.racetep.com/914-type4-itb-iac.html This kit seems like a better kit but the price tag is up there.

thelogo
QUOTE(akellym @ Feb 22 2020, 12:28 PM) *

So after 2018 the wife and decided that we just didn't want to drive in the heat any more. So last year I install air... It's so nice driving with the windows up and cool! The only issue is the carbs. We have to turn off the AC at stops and stop and go traffic. Now we are looking at fuel injection kits. We are leaning towards a kit from CB Performance: https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7075.htm

Here's some photos of the AC. I modified the underdash unit as I did not want to cut my center console.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Dont strain the brain truss but

There has got to be a low /tech /dead/tech solution
To this . ( /6 style) adjustable hand throttle ?
Maybe.

Cant you just run a/c on low .in stop and go ?

Shout out to the cheap sob

Literati914
So whats the issue, does the carbs (and ITBs) cause the idle to drop too low during stop lights & stop-in-go situations? confused24.gif

BTW, Akellym, what color is your car?
akellym
The AC puts enough load on the engine that it can't idle and kills it sometimes without increasing the idle speed.

Lapis Blue Metallic
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(akellym @ Feb 24 2020, 06:45 AM) *

The AC puts enough load on the engine that it can't idle and kills it sometimes without increasing the idle speed.

Lapis Blue Metallic

Do you know how to heel/toe the brake and accelerator? That is a zero dollar fix to keep it from dying.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(akellym @ Feb 22 2020, 06:56 PM) *

I found a few more pics. I apparently lost all the other other photos! If you look close you can see where I routed the duct hose over the top of the center console.

Click to view attachment

i know some people would think its not necessary in MN, but having grown up in So.MN i know how hot and humid a MN summer can be! We've been in SC for 30 years now and i really don't drive the 914 in the summer but i have 10 other months to drive it happy11.gif . anyway wanted to say that i really like your center console and cushion and wondered who recovered it for you? Looks awesome! I do want A/C but might not be on this car, unless i can do a fan/condenser unit somewhere else than the front trunk and i can modify a stock blower box to put the fan in to look stock. Otherwise i will just go back to having a boxster or a aircooled 911 with a.c, for the summer. - either way thanks for sharing your experience.
Do you ever take the car to the Cars and Coffee that was in Chanhassen now at Shokopee former Valley Fair lot?

Phil
(formerly from New Ulm)
akellym
Yes we have done the heel toe thing, but that gets a little old after the 1st 1000 miles.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(akellym @ Feb 24 2020, 11:00 AM) *

Yes we have done the heel toe thing, but that gets a little old after the 1st 1000 miles.

Best advice is to do your research on the different systems and also what's your skill level. Most systems require a lot of time learning how to tune the system or you have to have deep pockets to pay a shop/dyno to tune it for you. There's also a fair bit of "Not included" items that will add to the price creep.

When looking at systems you must remember everyone will say they're the best. You want a system with a proven track record, lots of support, forums, lots of users, preferably T4 users, etc.
For this reason alone I'd stick with MegaSquirt or SDS, as there's a larger number of members here who have experience with these two systems and can help.
akellym
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 24 2020, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(akellym @ Feb 22 2020, 06:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

i know some people would think its not necessary in MN, but having grown up in So.MN i know how hot and humid a MN summer can be! We've been in SC for 30 years now and i really don't drive the 914 in the summer but i have 10 other months to drive it happy11.gif . anyway wanted to say that i really like your center console and cushion and wondered who recovered it for you? Looks awesome! I do want A/C but might not be on this car, unless i can do a fan/condenser unit somewhere else than the front trunk and i can modify a stock blower box to put the fan in to look stock. Otherwise i will just go back to having a boxster or a aircooled 911 with a.c, for the summer. - either way thanks for sharing your experience.
Do you ever take the car to the Cars and Coffee that was in Chanhassen now at Shokopee former Valley Fair lot?

Phil
(formerly from New Ulm)

We just reupholstered it last year before parade. Everything in leather expect for the seat inserts. One of my high school friends does upholstery, he does spectacular work: https://www.shoprobs.com/upholstery We have https://craftcustoms.com re wrap our steering wheel as well.

It's been a while but we have been to the Chanhassen gatherings... now those are some nice garages!

Click to view attachment
thelogo
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 24 2020, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(akellym @ Feb 24 2020, 11:00 AM) *

Best advice is to do your research on the different systems and also what's your skill level. Most systems require a lot of time learning how to tune the system or you have to have deep pockets to pay a shop/dyno to tune it for you. There's also a fair bit of "Not included" items that will add to the price creep.

When looking at systems you must remember everyone will say they're the best. You want a system with a proven track record, lots of support, forums, lots of users, preferably T4 users, etc.
For this reason alone I'd stick with MegaSquirt or SDS, as there's a larger number of members here who have experience with these two systems and can help.

My system is the best!!! And cheapest
hand throttle .
Make it like a trim wheel on a p51
Mustang. Couldn't cost more then a few hundred.

Once you have it adjusted ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.