Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ian's Project Bumblebee Resto Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

Excited to FINALLY be starting this project.. I've got a bumblebee roller that needs everything. Paint and body work will be done by a pro, but I'll tackle everything else and shoot videos of the process. The first episode is up...

Upcoming eps will cover prepping for paint, upholstery, sourcing parts, brakes and suspension, steering, glass...everything. Please subscribe and follow along. As usual, feel free to suggest things you'd like to see..and let me know when I'm screwing something up smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYF6koDUhY

PS: The Newbies series will continue as soon as the bumblebee is off the lift...
914werke
1st correction Phoenix Red over Lt Ivory smile.gif
iankarr
Ha!...For that matter it's sunflower yellow.
simonjb
Great start and video !
JeffBowlsby
I think it will be a "honey" bee Ian. Great to see continued enthusiasm for the LE cars.
morsmanlaw
Ian Karr - the Franco Zefirelli of 914s.
brcacti
VERY COOL piratenanner.gif cheer.gif
iankarr
QUOTE(morsmanlaw @ Feb 25 2020, 01:07 PM) *

Ha! Hopefully you’re referencing his directing and not the Harvey Weinstein stuff he was accused of smile.gif
Sprout
Awesome! Look forward to watching your progress, and learning some things along the way. Learned a lot from your other videos already. Thanks for doing them! pray.gif first.gif
Johny Blackstain
popcorn[1].gif creamsicle914.jpg
morsmanlaw
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Feb 25 2020, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(morsmanlaw @ Feb 25 2020, 01:07 PM) *

Ha! Hopefully you’re referencing his directing and not the Harvey Weinstein stuff he was accused of smile.gif

Directing only, of course! How about George Lucas, or Martin Scorcese?
iankarr
Episode 2 is up!
– Backpad, dash assembly, engine grille removal and a few more bits...

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6B3gKW9nPA

911GT2
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 1 2020, 02:31 PM) *

Episode 2 is up!

Enjoy!

Great vid thanks.

As feedback I would like to comment that the POV style filming makes for a lesser viewing experience. Why don't you just use a tripod and point out where the screws sit. It's easier for you to work and in my huble opinion it's better to look at from the viewers perspective.

But thanks for these vids man! clap56.gif
iankarr
Thanks for the feedback. I do use a tripod and/or stand where I can (like in the switch removal process), but it's not always practical to use camera support, given the tight spots and weird angles involved in working on a 914 (the dash nuts under the cowl, for example).

I frequently find that the best clear shot at something is from my POV. Otherwise, hands or tools block the action. Or the tripod prevents me from actually doing the work safely.

What exactly is it about the POV that you don't like? Is it too close? Shakiness?

Would love to hear others chime in on this. I want these videos to be as watchable and helpful as possible to the community. All feedback welcome.
Sprout
Thanks for another great video! Personally, I like the POV, because I can see exactly what you’re doing and it’s a closer view than if the camera were further back. Just my two cents!
911GT2
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 2 2020, 02:59 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback. I do use a tripod and/or stand where I can (like in the switch removal process), but it's not always practical to use camera support, given the tight spots and weird angles involved in working on a 914 (the dash nuts under the cowl, for example).

I frequently find that the best clear shot at something is from my POV. Otherwise, hands or tools block the action. Or the tripod prevents me from actually doing the work safely.

What exactly is it about the POV that you don't like? Is it too close? Shakiness?

Would love to hear others chime in on this. I want these videos to be as watchable and helpful as possible to the community. All feedback welcome.

Mostly the Shakiness.
But to be honest it's in the nitpicking range. I mostly enjoy the vids, and now I understand the reason behind some choices I can understand them better.

That being said, I do always give the thumbs up for the vids because I know how much time it takes to actually make and upload this stuff. pray.gif And more subscriptions and thumbs-up will help you gain traction on YT!
Morph914
I think you do a great job! I have used many of your videos to help me along the way with my restoration.
Thank you for all the time you invest in making our lives easier!
Keep up the good work!
By the way, I like your choice of rides. I had a 65 GT fastback, and a 75 308 GT4 that I wish I still had.

Cheers,
John
Jamie
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Mar 3 2020, 05:05 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 2 2020, 02:59 PM) *

Mostly the Shakiness.
But to be honest it's in the nitpicking range. I mostly enjoy the vids, and now I understand the reason behind some choices I can understand them better.

That being said, I do always give the thumbs up for the vids because I know how much time it takes to actually make and upload this stuff. pray.gif And more subscriptions and thumbs-up will help you gain traction on YT!

Since I'm a retired photographer I understand the problems encountered with moving action camera placement. But there are some places where your single hand held camera becomes awkward, mostly for you, and the solution might be a head/helmet or chest mounted camera, allowing 2 handed action. It takes much practice and attention to movement to capture stable video with a helmet cam, and I don't know if there is a consumer grade camera with adequate image stabilization?
simonjb
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 1 2020, 04:31 PM) *

Episode 2 is up!

Enjoy!

Loving it !!!!
brcacti
Oh I wish I had a bumblebee sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.