Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: DC area early March?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave_Darling
So, I'm going out to the Washington DC area in early March. I'll be staying out near Dulles airport, and wandering through the Air & Space museum facility around there. As well as heading down to the Mall at least once to hit up the main Smithsonian A&S museum.

Is there anything 914-ish going on the 7th/8th?

--DD
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 23 2020, 05:42 PM) *

So, I'm going out to the Washington DC area in early March. I'll be staying out near Dulles airport, and wandering through the Air & Space museum facility around there. As well as heading down to the Mall at least once to hit up the main Smithsonian A&S museum.

Is there anything 914-ish going on the 7th/8th?

--DD

My Virginia home is about 15 minutes from the Dulles airport, but I (and my running 914), spend most of my time in MD now. I do have a 914 roller project in my garage there. If you're having 914 withdrawal on your trip maybe you could swing by and do some chassis repair for me biggrin.gif

Udvar Hazy is an awesome place. If you've never been there before, budget yourself plenty of time.

Have a good trip beer.gif
VaccaRabite
In fact I'd go to Udvar Hazy instead of going to the old location for the Air and Space museum. Its that much better.

I'd go to UH, Skip A&S and check out some of the other fantastic museums around the DC mall area. International Spy Museum, Holocaust, any of the other Smithsonians.

Zach
Dave_Darling
The Udvar-Hazy is why I am staying out at Dulles. smile.gif I plan on spending at least a couple of days there.

Any 914 stuff going on in the area, though?

--DD
VaccaRabite
Anyhting 914 related would be a few states south at Amelia Island for the Porsche Werks Reunion 914 50th birthday party.

Zach
Racer
There are Cars and Coffee nearby - There is one Sunday in Sterling at Dulles Landing. I've taken my 914/6 once or twice. I am about 10 min from U-H as well. Check as well for one at Intersport Performance in Ashburn Va (Just north of U-H). Not 914 centric, but Porsche centric. They've just opened this location and have had a few on Saturdays.

But if you are going to hit just "one" cars and coffee - it would be Katies ( https://oldbrogue.com/event/katies-cars-coffee/all/ ) , early Sat AM in Great Falls. Lots of monied folks and some nice old classics usually are in attendance.. Porsches, Lancias, Alfas, Ferraris, stately benzes etc. Its not california, but its how some get by wink.gif

No real local PCA events - not til 3/22 and later (AX, and DE events)

As others mentioned, the U-H facility is fantastic. My son loves going there so we've been several times. $15-20 to "park", but then the exhibits are free... Downtown is nice too, but it feels cramped in comparison, but they have some nice stuff to check out.
BeatNavy
Good call on Katie's cars and coffee. If you go, you need to go early (e.g., NLT 7:30 am). Parking is limited, and it's very well attended when weather is nice. There's more money than brains there, in general. More than one guy has totaled his Ferrari (or Lambo...or Mustang) heading out of there on the twistys around Great Falls.

Did Intersport finally move? I've been meaning to check out the new location, and I'm in NoVA for a few days...
JmuRiz
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 2 2020, 12:02 PM) *

Good call on Katie's cars and coffee. If you go, you need to go early (e.g., NLT 7:30 am). Parking is limited, and it's very well attended when weather is nice. There's more money than brains there, in general. More than one guy has totaled his Ferrari (or Lambo...or Mustang) heading out of there on the twistys around Great Falls.

Did Intersport finally move? I've been meaning to check out the new location, and I'm in NoVA for a few days...

They have a 2nd location in Ashburn off of Rt7...still have the place in Tysons for the time being. I haven't seen anything about a GTG there this weekend, but it's still early in the week.
https://www.intersportperformance.com/

Katie's is fun, just too damn early for me. Last time I went was when I was trying to find a buyer for my '74 911 flip-project
BeatNavy
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 2 2020, 04:58 PM) *

Katie's is fun, just too damn early for me. Last time I went was when I was trying to find a buyer for my '74 911 flip-project

Yeah, I'm with you, Nathan. I went a couple of times, but I like to move slowly on Saturdays (after weekdays of trying to get out the door early to beat DC traffic). Last thing I want to do is fight traffic/people on a Saturday. That, and the "more money than brains" crowd smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.