Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Advice for selling 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Edge
Considering selling one of my cars. 1973 914, a beautiful car and driver. Basically completely rebuilt, everything new. Should I figure in any kind of discount on sales value for such things as:
1. Complete color change, from Silver/black to Dark green/brown.
2. All rust cut out, metal patches welded in, visible through undercoating. Mostly in rear floor pans. Structurally strong.
3. Original engine was 1.7(available long block rebuilt ) replaces with 2.0.
Trying to get a handle on pricing before placing any advertising.
Thanks for any input.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Feb 24 2020, 02:37 PM) *

Considering selling one of my cars. 1973 914, a beautiful car and driver. Basically completely rebuilt, everything new. Should I figure in any kind of discount on sales value for such things as:
2. All rust cut out, metal patches welded in, visible through undercoating. Mostly in rear floor pans. Structurally strong.
Thanks for any input.

Bruce,

Prices are all over the place and just depends on who's in the market at the timeyou are selling, but without pictures, $20k -$30k range for a nice car with mostly new stuff. if your motor and trans were numbers matching original and no color change, could be $40-$50k.
I have agreed value insured for $50k and they said based on other factors of the restoration and COA info, rare color, etc that the would insure it for more with no issues. I probably would not take less than that for it really and you know what you have into it and what its worth to you.
you can always pick a starting point and lower if no interest .

Phil
RandyK
QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Feb 24 2020, 02:37 PM) *

Thanks for any input.

I am looking to buy a 914-6 in excellent condition, if you are for sure selling. Thanks.
914_teener
av-943.gif
mepstein
I'm guessing around $15K. Maybe 18K if it shows well. Everyone's definition of a driver is different. What an insurance company will let you pay to insure your car and what a buyer will pay are two completely different numbers.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 24 2020, 12:15 PM) *

I'm guessing around $15K. Maybe 18K if it shows well. Everyone's definition of a driver is different. What an insurance company will let you pay to insure your car and what a buyer will pay are two completely different numbers.

agree.gif In fact, 15K might be top money.

The color change is going to knock a lot of buyers out unless it was done with the car completely disassembled and painted on a rotisserie.

Repaired rust is better than rust, but it is going to turn off a lot of buyers...especially if the repairs are amateur and obvious.
thelogo
QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Feb 24 2020, 11:37 AM) *

Thanks for any input.

Do you wanna price it to sell or price it to sit around.
If your trying to get the most money out of it
Then you will need to be patient.
If its priced fairly then it will move faster .

People are asking crazy numbers for stock cars.
But you can ask anything you want.

Buyers who pay cash will be in touch with reality.
So you might wanna be too.

Your description sounds like car is worth between
9 and 19 k ....?
914werke
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Feb 24 2020, 12:28 PM) *
The color change is going to knock a lot of buyers out unless it was done with the car completely disassembled and painted on a rotisserie.

agree.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 24 2020, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Feb 24 2020, 11:37 AM) *

Thanks for any input.

Do you wanna price it to sell or price it to sit around.
If your trying to get the most money out of it
Then you will need to be patient.
If its priced fairly then it will move faster .

People are asking crazy numbers for stock cars.
A( red 2.0./4 On here guy was asking like 79k )
He should lay off moonshine.!
But you can ask anything you want.

Buyers who pay cash will be in touch with reality.
So you might wanna be too.

Your description sounds like car is worth between
9 and 19 k ....?

Cairo94507
We are all just throwing darts at the wall blindfolded without a lot of pictures to determine condition. beerchug.gif
Bruce Edge
Thanks everyone, back story on this car I bought it a couple year ago. It was a failed restoration. The amateur metal work had be already done on bottom of car. Po had purchased a lot of new parts, so I thought I would put it together and make a driver out of it. Two year it turned out to be a very nice car. In hindsight I wish I had taken care of amateur metal work. There for I know I can’t get top dollar for it. So I was trying to figure out a fair price to ask before I take it to Werks Reunion next week. I’ll try and send some pictures.
Thanks again.
thelogo
QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Feb 24 2020, 06:12 PM) *

Thanks everyone, back story on this car I bought it a couple year ago. It was a failed restoration. The amateur metal work had be already done on bottom of car. Po had purchased a lot of new parts, so I thought I would put it together and make a driver out of it. Two year it turned out to be a very nice car. In hindsight I wish I had taken care of amateur metal work. There for I know I can’t get top dollar for it. So I was trying to figure out a fair price to ask before I take it to Werks Reunion next week. I’ll try and send some pictures.
Thanks again.

If you into putting cars together and selling them for top dollar .
Then you should realize its narp... smoke.gif

And i personally think its appalling to ask for top dollar when the car is on empi wheels.but .wtf
Bruce Edge
Sorry last post went too soon. Sending more pictures.
Bruce
Jett
Hard to determine price on this one without more pictures and information, like COA.

That said, I imagine that the bottom pan of this car along with the color change, overspray, and missing FI, would put-off most buyers.
DickSteinkamp
It is a pretty car. Maybe an auction like BaT or eBay would be the best bet if you are unsure of the value. Set a reserve for the lowest number you would take for the car. Not what you (or anybody else) think it is worth, but what you would take rather than keeping it the rest of your life. Then hope for the best.
Larmo63
It looks nice.
mepstein
$12K
EdwardBlume
Just be honest about what it is and isn't and price it where you think it deserves. The market will meet you somewhere. GLWTS
911GT2
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 24 2020, 07:33 PM) *

$12K

That seems a bit steep to be honest. The floor is the main issue in my opinion.
Bruce Edge
Thanks to everyone, This information really zero's me in on what is a fair asking price.
I knew the amateur metal repair was going to be the problem, just didn't know how much.
Basically I'm trying to keep the wife happy, I inhered another car that I had always wanted which (according to wife) puts me over the limit. The pricing makes me rethink the situation, I would sure be better off to keep this car as a driver and have fun with it..
Will keep informed on saga.
Optimusglen
IMO, put $1000 into a set of 4-lug Fuchs and increase the price (whatever number you land on) by $2000.
Tdskip
QUOTE(RandyK @ Feb 24 2020, 02:00 PM) *

I am looking to buy a 914-6 in excellent condition, if you are for sure selling. Thanks.

Did you even bother to read what he wrote? Cripes man.
thelogo
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Feb 25 2020, 07:12 AM) *

IMO, put $1000 into a set of 4-lug Fuchs and increase the price (whatever number you land on) by $2000.

Ass clown
jagalyn
I would be concerned with the floor pans...
Amphicar770
The color change and carbs will definitely limit the buying pool. Anyone who does look at it will be quickly but off by what looks like floors made out of a really thick layer of undercoating. If poor metalwork is obvious then even worse

I think $9-$12k is about right. Then again, if you find the right ebay buyer ....
Big Len
Ask $17K, see what offers you get. You'll know what it's worth by being patient and the responses you get. Take good pictures, not in your driveway, but in a nice setting from every angle. Be honest, but don't have too long a write up. Replace or fix any obviously known faults and give it time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.