Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 A-Pillar VIN plate with two different fonts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Is this normal or is there something bad going on here?
idea.gif

IPB Image

bandjoey
Interesting to see the reverse side to look at the stamp. Of the hundreds of vin plates seen on this site, none look like that.
banananose914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 24 2020, 08:54 PM) *

idea.gif

Every one of the 6 A-pillar VIN plates I have seen look like this. Mine included. It appears that the factory stamped them with the 914 and then later on stamped the rest of the numbers. I have seen this on early steering wheels as well, where a 3 was stamped over with a 4 that didn't match the existing 4 stamped on the wheel. I thought it was an anomaly, until I saw another steering wheel with the same stamp. Jim
sixnotfour
Real Deal beerchug.gif I have 390
EdwardBlume
Looks like 3 different 4's.

We all know that Germans are really that precise.... lol-2.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Feb 25 2020, 01:36 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 24 2020, 08:54 PM) *

idea.gif

Every one of the 6 A-pillar VIN plates I have seen look like this. Mine included. It appears that the factory stamped them with the 914 and later on stamped the rest of the numbers. I have seen this on early steering wheels as well, where a 3 was stamped over with a 4. I thought it was an anomaly, until I saw another steering wheel with the same stamp. Jim

They did it a lot with the steering wheels. Makes them look fake if you just see one.
sbsix
Agree with banananose914, all the 914-6 VIN pillar tags I have seen are punched that way. Although I have seen repro tags that are too uniform and really look odd.
I have a euro-spec 914-6 that does not have the pillar tag but I had one made by Car Bone in Poland that’s perfect, just to have one. I won’t ever put it on the car.
914Sixer
914-6's were finished by Porsche so they used 911 style not the kind used by Karmman . Looks real to me.
SirAndy
Thanks folks, move along, nothing to see here ...
biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
davep
Yes, the 914 is different from the rest of it.
Mikey914
My guess is this is how they designated the build was a 6. Porsche then finished the tag when it was "born"
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 25 2020, 07:36 PM) *
My guess is this is how they designated the build was a 6. Porsche then finished the tag when it was "born"

I doubt it since the A-Pillar tags were US only and Karman made the bodies for both the ROW /6 and US /6 cars.

All /6 cars were finished at Porsche ...
shades.gif
Mikey914
It is interesting, in that the process was broken up. I wonder when in production the tags were actually attached? We may never know.
gandalf_025
Never mind
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the 914-6 plate looked always like it was hand made, the four cylinder plate had a sculpted perimeter and looked machine made, but the one pictured, has clearly had the numbers modified.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 24 2020, 09:54 PM) *

idea.gif

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2020, 08:48 AM) *
... but the one pictured, has clearly had the numbers modified.

@dr914@autoatlanta.com

confused24.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes clearly modified and so are these! (especially that LAST one!!!!& #33;)Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmenti
d=732080]

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 26 2020, 11:36 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2020, 08:48 AM) *
... but the one pictured, has clearly had the numbers modified.

@dr914@autoatlanta.com

confused24.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
notice that the 71 has three DIFFERENT "ones" on the tag
Johny Blackstain
Looks like I've got 2 different font fours, ones and nines. First four numbers are askew and a larger size compared to the next six
blink.gif confused24.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
wow just amazing how many of these sixes have had the numbers modified! Wonder if there is even ONE out there where all of the numbers match? Of course none of the 72 models were exported (we have two here) so cannot look at those, and this other 71 we have here is a euro edition so it too does not have a windshield plate
rudedude
my first 2 4s and 2 0s look different from each other just like the original posters. I've had it from way before anyone would have thought to modify them
lalee914
My database has photos of 95 VIN tags. Its surprising how much they vary. All of them have 2 different 4's, the same as the one that started this thread. The spacing of the numbers also varies quite a bit. Some are quite evenly spaced while others look like someone had a few too many beers at lunch. Also, in all cases the 1 in 914 is different from any other 1s that follow. They look like they are hand made.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.