Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front suspension removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jockellis
I need to take my the front suspension off down to the steering box so I can repaint that area and replace much of the rest. What would be the most apropos schedule? Outside first, inside or some other place. Speaking of places, sitting on the concrete floor or laying on the creeper are painful positions.
SirAndy
You can drop the whole thing in one piece if you lift the gas tank and undo the clamp that holds the steering shaft coupler.
smash.gif

IPB Image

mepstein
I did it recently lying on the gravel outside my house.
Remove the front wheels.
Remove the brake lines
Jack up the front.
Secure the front suspension
Using an impact wrench where ever you can, remove all the bolts holding the suspension and steering rack to the car, including the top strut nuts.
Undo the connection on the steering rack under the wheel.
Entire suspension should drop.
Probably takes a half hour if you use the impact wrench so not much time on your back. Wear glasses since rust and dirt will fall into your face.

My better impact gun wasn't charged up so I used my $25 harbor freight plug in one. Worked fine. When you want to break down the front suspension further, make sure you have a MAP torch. Heat is your friend.

Edit - Andy reminded me about the steering coupler clamp behind the gas tank.
jockellis
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 25 2020, 10:58 AM) *

Remove the front wheels.
Remove the brake lines
Jack up the front.
Using an impact wrench where ever you can, remove all the bolts holding the suspension and steering rack to the car, including the top strut nuts.
Probably takes a half hour if you use the impact wrench so not much time on your back. Wear glasses since rust and dirt will fall into your face.

My better impact gun wasn't charged up so I used my $25 harbor freight plug in one. Worked fine. When you want to break down the front suspension further, make sure you have a MAP torch. Heat is your friend.

Thanks, I’ll try that. My only impact wrench is a 1500 ft/lb. monster from HFT that ended in about a quarter second my eight year attempt to remove the rear axle nuts.
Now if I could just get the dual taper stud out of the shock absorber strut.
mepstein
QUOTE(jockellis @ Mar 8 2020, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 25 2020, 10:58 AM) *

Remove the front wheels.
Remove the brake lines
Jack up the front.

Thanks, I’ll try that. My only impact wrench is a 1500 ft/lb. monster from HFT that ended in about a quarter second my eight year attempt to remove the rear axle nuts.
Now if I could just get the dual taper stud out of the shock absorber strut.

I use a MAP torch. get the housing hot and as it cools, touch an old candle to the edges of the taper pin. The heat will wick the wax into the crack and help the pin slide as you tap it. Repeat once or twice and it should come out. Don't be afraid to get parts really hot to break the corrosive bond.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.