Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Fingerprint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914sgofast2
Check out this rant on the Autoextremist website about Porsche's new "Fingerprint Program" for diminishing your bank account.

http://www.autoextremist.com/
914Sixer
confused24.gif headbang.gif shades.gif lol-2.gif WTF.gif
Cairo94507
OK, even I have to agree that seems like a way to just further deplete one's bank account when ordering a new Porsche. Additionally, My finger prints are not that big anyway! How big was the dude that ordered that car? Like 60 feet tall? beerchug.gif
SirAndy
WTF.gif
Superhawk996
Love the Extremist - usually spot on assessment of what goes on within the industry!

I’ll gladly sign up to be the first to have my bootyshake.gif print put on the hood of a Macan. That would be oh so appropriate!
horizontally-opposed
Never thought they'd be able to outdo the "911 safety stripes" of the 1970s, but those look positively tasteful by comparison.
Unobtanium-inc
Porsche has always been known to do whatever it took, to make the customer happy, as long as that customer was willing to pay. A friend was taking a Factory Tour in 1985 and there was a guy in the parking lot doing a photoshoot with a new 928, when he got closer he realized the guy's suit matched the interior. He never did find out if they got the interior to match the suit or the suit to match the interior, but cool either way.
worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 25 2020, 03:28 PM) *

WTF.gif

Yeah. That pretty much sums it up. Oh, my goodness.
davep
Meh, whatever. WE have 914's; nuf said.
dax1969
My wife personalised my car...

Click to view attachment

By the way... perhaps your name is on this one

facebook 911

biggrin.gif

Ansbacher
Yes its ridiculous, yes its greedy, but actually the finished product looks pretty good. But, selling a finger-printed car later on in a private sale might be a challenge. Who wants a car with someone else's fingerprint on it, especially when it's the size of the Jolly Green Giant's?

For me, Porsche ceased to exist after 1996, so it's easy to ignore insanity like this.

Ansbacher
Mark Henry
For years Porsche had little in the way of merchandise, now everything from keyfobs, coffee cups, oil and now an almost full line of clothing.
You had to figure the Porsche trademark crackdown was going towards this. It must piss Porsche off to see the classics and classic aftermarket raking in all the dough, so they're trying to get their finger in the pie.

Here the local dealer is even advertising restoration services.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 26 2020, 10:59 AM) *

Would you trust a "mechanic" that only knows how to plug in the connector to the computer and replace what the onboard computer tells him to setup and tune an MFI system on a 1973 911S? Or to fix wiring issues on a 356? Or adjust the points and set the timing on a stock 914. I doubt they would even know how to diagnose a dead DME relay on a 80s 944.

In my head, I can see a dealer technician searching in vain for OBD2 plug on a 1970 914-6! LOL!

pete000
I'm always trying to wipe away fingerprints off my car...lol
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 26 2020, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 26 2020, 10:59 AM) *

Would you trust a "mechanic" that only knows how to plug in the connector to the computer and replace what the onboard computer tells him to setup and tune an MFI system on a 1973 911S? Or to fix wiring issues on a 356? Or adjust the points and set the timing on a stock 914. I doubt they would even know how to diagnose a dead DME relay on a 80s 944.

In my head, I can see a dealer technician searching in vain for OBD2 plug on a 1970 914-6! LOL!

agree.gif lol-2.gif
sixnotfour
Made the Utah news on TV... screwy.gif

Who was doing the booby prints in the dew on 914s ? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
StarBear
Yeah, made local news this morning here in NJ. The newspeople had pretty much the same opinion and comments are folks here. They noted a cost of $8100. Oh, and they suggested folks could photograph YOUR fingerprint off YOUR car hood - really swift for privacy issues.
Big Len
QUOTE(pete000 @ Feb 26 2020, 03:57 PM) *

I'm always trying to wipe away fingerprints off my car...lol

So true lol-2.gif
Mueller
I think Andy Warhol would approve, I think it is kinda neat.

Not something I'd want unless I used my finger that has a big scar right in the middle of the finger print.

RolinkHaus
Porsche is owned by Volkswagen that has a lot to do with everything. I love German cars but another problem with Volkswagen is that it has become more Americanized. Yay!!! Capitalism
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.