Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking oil temperatures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I'm using a gauge I got from George that fits correctly with a 60mm core, but it doesn't have a scale. I was thinking I'd get a meat thermometer with a long cord and dropping it down the oil tank. If I did it before and after a drive, I could kind of calibrate the gauge My concern is that the tank temperature would be significantly different than the case.
wes
I bought a dipstick thermometer from one of the members here, sorry don’t remember who but someone might chime in.
IronHillRestorations
You can get a non contact infrared thermometer pretty cheap these days, it comes in handy for a lot of stuff
PanelBilly
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Feb 25 2020, 06:11 PM) *

You can get a non contact infrared thermometer pretty cheap these days, it comes in handy for a lot of stuff

But where do I take the reading. Is the body of the case good enough?
Tbrown4x4
I would think the sump plate would be the best place, but not the easiest to get to.
GregAmy
QUOTE(wes @ Feb 25 2020, 09:09 PM) *

I bought a dipstick thermometer from one of the members here, sorry don’t remember who but someone might chime in.

Used to be Mainely Custom. They were purchased by Precision Matters.

https://precisionmatters.biz/type-4-dipstick-thermometer.php

Shows in stock.
IronHillRestorations
Get it up to temp and pull the dipstick
rgalla9146
Oil tank ?
Six cylinder temp is measured with a sender threaded into the block near the fan.
Gauges with a numbers are available for Porsche instruments, VDO aftermarket
and others.
Or....do you have a dry sump 4cyl. ?
Mark Henry
Point the infrared at the bottom of the case, it doesn't have to be at the plate. A thermometer would need a long lead to reach the oil in a tank, plus a small head you risk dropping it into the tank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.