Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My air compressor is toast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
16 y.o. Craftsman. The motor and compressor are one assembly and the motor is throwing sparks. Craftsman/Black and Decker does not sell a replacement motor. I called a shop in my town that rebuild electric motors and he said it's a throw away. The windings are bad. The motor/compressor bolts on a flat plate and has only the electric supply line and air line on it. I hate throwing things out and replacing them. Any ideas on another motor/pump that I can bolt on top to replace? Other solutions? Who wants my tank to add capacity to their set up laugh.gif I wouldn't mind a quiter set up. This mofo was loud...
barefoot
How much capacity do you need ?? if not much Harbor freight sells one i have for just over $100 on wheels
Mitox
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 26 2020, 09:57 PM) *

16 y.o. Craftsman. The motor and compressor are one assembly and the motor is throwing sparks. Craftsman/Black and Decker does not sell a replacement motor. I called a shop in my town that rebuild electric motors and he said it's a throw away. The windings are bad. The motor/compressor bolts on a flat plate and has only the electric supply line and air line on it. I hate throwing things out and replacing them. Any ideas on another motor/pump that I can bolt on top to replace? Other solutions? Who wants my tank to add capacity to their set up laugh.gif I wouldn't mind a quiter set up. This mofo was loud...

Unfortunately, the most economical solution is likely an entirely new unit. You can get low cost motors and pumps at Harbor Freight and Northern Tool, but I don’t think you’ll be able to use them on your unit.

SteveL
I have that exact same compressor. Bought it, umm, 1998?
Krieger
I used this to for my glass bead cabinet occasionally. I had a feeling I'd need to buy a whole new set up. This one has performed flawlessly with almost no maintenance. I washed the filter a few times and drained the water from the tank.
914Sixer
Everything is now designed to be thrown away. Replacement parts for most items have been NLA for at least 10 years from Craftsman.
Mark Henry
Keep the tank, buy a new (or new to you) compressor, hook the old tank in series adding 30 gallons to the new compressor. You could hang the old tank above the new compressor to save space.
Krieger
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 27 2020, 06:24 AM) *

Keep the tank, buy a new (or new to you) compressor, hook the old tank in series adding 30 gallons to the new compressor. You could hang the old tank above the new compressor to save space.

I was wondering if it could work that way. Maybe I could by a smaller quieter one with similar output connected to my 30 gallon.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 27 2020, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 27 2020, 06:24 AM) *

I was wondering if it could work that way. Maybe I could by a smaller quieter one with similar output connected to my 30 gallon.

No! If anything go bigger.

Putting the extra tank in only adds volume, you have to keep up with that extra volume or your new compressor will cycle too long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.