Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disaster barely averted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Headed to the Hill Country Rally in Kerrville Tx and half way there one carb caught on fire.
Fresh carb rebuild too. Luckily I got off the road and shut off and the car is ok. Melted the filter and probably the carb too. Car is ok though.
Dion
Glad you caught it in time. Just the carbs coughing or fuel line come undone?
At any rate glad your safe.
stownsen914
Fires are scary … the carb may not be damaged from the fire other than some cosmetic damage to the velocity stacks, but you'll want to figure out why the fire happened of course. Was it popping or backfiring a lot? Or fuel leak is an obvious possibility.
SirAndy
unsure.gif
914Sixer
Yep, you dodged a bullet. Good to know everybody is ok.
ValcoOscar
Oh Man.... sad.gif

You running dellortos, right?

Oscar

SO GLAD YOU'RE OKAY!!!! drunk.gif
jesse7flying
Man Bill, that could have been serious. Glad you and the car are OK.
wes
Wow a very rude surprise! Sounds like you handled it well.
bandjoey
Flatbed of shame. It was riding like new. Pulling strong. 75-80 mph suddenly Explosive heavy pop pop pop. Fire was inside the drivers carb. Shut off the key. Coasted got a stop. Dellortos. Still look perfect outside but the wire air filter is melted and all the way down the throat is black. Got lucky is right
theleschyouknow
thats terrible news but glad to hear you and your car are ok Bill
But Bob Weir would call it a tragedy narrowly averted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmYfjlr0GFA

beerchug.gif

cjl
porschetub
Wow scary,did the fuel bowl overspill ?,had a near miss myself with one carb...lots of backfires and found the problem.
Click to view attachment
Your carb should be ok,unless things got really hot you should be ok.
Good luck.
Cairo94507
I would have run right out and spent $50 on lottery tickets! Thank God you caught it immediately and the fire was extinguished. None of our cars should be driven around w/o a good fire extinguisher on board. beerchug.gif
78PanamaBrown
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 27 2020, 03:26 PM) *

Headed to the Hill Country Rally in Kerrville Tx

Sorry to hear about your car. Hope you get to drive the twisted sisters next time you get to KerrvilLe. Those roads are made for 914’s
bandjoey
Something inside broke and dumped loads of gas in the carbs. No backfire pop but explosions boomed boom. Now hoping it didn’t crack something in the motor. Let you know after the autopsy.
bandjoey
Forgot to thank Haggerty. They paid 150 miles of the tow home
76-914
I love that part of Texas. Damned shame about your car! beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 27 2020, 07:22 PM) *

Wow scary,did the fuel bowl overspill ?,had a near miss myself with one carb...lots of backfires and found the problem.
Click to view attachment
Your carb should be ok,unless things got really hot you should be ok.
Good luck.

agree.gif

The float is stuck or it's waterlogged or the gross float valve is sticking open or the fuel level is wacked. The gas overflowed the bowl, it would flood the carb top, just like in the pic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.