Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firewall carpet option?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellowporky
I remember a while back people were discussing carpeting the firewall in place of the back pad and could not remember if anyone was making a kit of decent quality carpet.
Any insight would be appreciated
Thanks
Chris
n2j2ryan
I just ordered extra perlon carpet from 914rubber and cut to fit. Really easy job and turned out quite nice (I think).

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Feb 27 2020, 07:54 PM) *

I remember a while back people were discussing carpeting the firewall in place of the back pad and could not remember if anyone was making a kit of decent quality carpet.
Thanks
Chris
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Matt did the same thing using the back pad base we make so it was removable. It also lets you keep the light
Mikey914
Got the back pads bases in stock. If you buy one I;ll throw the Perlon in for free.
Just let me know,
Mark
Sprout
I really like the look of the carpet on the base, with the light still intact. Will have to keep that in mind!
GregAmy
There's a guy selling them on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-914-6-...et/380792474228

I bought one several years ago, never used it. Would be willing to part with it.
abes914
QUOTE(Sprout @ Feb 28 2020, 05:37 AM) *

I really like the look of the carpet on the base, with the light still intact. Will have to keep that in mind!

I am interested in this as well.
popcorn[1].gif
abes914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 28 2020, 01:29 AM) *

Matt did the same thing using the back pad base we make so it was removable. It also lets you keep the light

This looks sharp! I like it
wes
I’ve always liked the look and the light makes it even better but have wondered what the difference in engine sound might be.
BeatNavy
I bought the one from the guy on eBay last year. It's not a 100% perfect fit, but you can make it work. I'm trying to use only the center section of the backpad, along with the carpet, but I'm not tremendously happy with how it turned out. It's mainly due to my skills (lack thereof).

In terms of noise, until recently I ran without an engine bay pad OR the firewall mat. I just had the backpad and a layer of dynamat on the firewall. It wasn't quiet with top on, but with the top off it's not bad at all. I recently put back the engine bay pad, and that dampens a lot of the noise. I may try to put the firewall mat back on (although it's pretty crusty) just to see how much difference there is in terms of noise. If I like that, I may try to figure out how to make this all work together (with those "mad skills" of mine dry.gif ).
Chris914n6
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Feb 27 2020, 07:54 PM) *

Thanks
Chris

Usually available at your local auto upholstery supplier for like $12/yd and in a handful of colors. Commonly used for as trunk carpet as it will stretch and mold to irregular shapes.

You will still want to apply sound deadening to the firewall before the carpet.
Coondog
Love my carpeted firewall. Just that little bit of extra room makes a Hugh difference and I honestly think it’s quieter. It’s even hard to tell I have a access panel cut out. I put self dimming interior lights in my center console but they could easy be installed under the dash. I also attached a black battery push light on my removable top. Easy to take off using Velcro and you don’t even see it when you put it by the rear window.
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I can sell the carpet you need at $25 + shipping. Will fit better than the sewn one.

Just let me know.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 28 2020, 11:34 AM) *

I can sell the carpet you need at $25 + shipping. Will fit better than the sewn one.

Just let me know.

Hi Mark,

are you selling a pre-cut carpet for the inside firewall? something like this pic? (borrowed from a member here posted above)

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Glue on?
yellowporky
Thank you guys for all of the replies. I too like the idea of the base being carpeted so it is also removable.
Not worried about the engine noise in the car that this will be going in.

Mark,
I will be buying one of the carpet kits from you for the floor and would then be interested in the firewall carpet to match.
Mikey914
Thank,
and to answer the $25 kit is not pre-cut.

BUT- if you give me until this next Wednesday. I will do up some back pads and attach the perlon to them, that way you will not have to mess with it.
Camaro Mike
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 29 2020, 01:37 PM) *

Thank,
and to answer the $25 kit is not pre-cut.

BUT- if you give me until this next Wednesday. I will do up some back pads and attach the perlon to them, that way you will not have to mess with it.

I'd be interested in that as well.
Mikey914
I'll post up some pics Wed
Tdskip
Keen to see how this looks too
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 29 2020, 11:48 AM) *

Thanks again Mark!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 28 2020, 01:17 PM) *

Love my carpeted firewall. Just that little bit of extra room makes a Hugh difference and I honestly think it’s quieter. It’s even hard to tell I have a access panel cut out. I put self dimming interior lights in my center console but they could easy be installed under the dash. I also attached a black battery push light on my removable top. Easy to take off using Velcro and you don’t even see it when you put it by the rear window.
Click to view attachment

love those seats too!!!!
Tdskip
One thought on this, which may be unfounded, is that it may be harder to hide any noise insulation applied to the firewall.
Larmo63
I used the black "diamond" sound deadener which I bought on Amazon (made in Russia) under a sewn Perlon carpet piece I bought on eBay from Rennspeed in Duarte, Ca.

The noise difference with the insulation was remarkable. It was like a different car inside. I liked the fact that the sound proof material wasn't shiny silver foil.

Great product, and easy to use/apply.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Deadening-auto...0TY748N4GMGF8Z4
Mikey914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 29 2020, 12:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 29 2020, 11:48 AM) *

Thanks again Mark!

Working on it now
n2j2ryan
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 4 2020, 06:10 AM) *

One thought on this, which may be unfounded, is that it may be harder to hide any noise insulation applied to the firewall.

I have sound deadening under the perlon. Hard to tell the difference visually but big difference on a sound level.
Mikey914
Actually, didn't get finished, but will be at it again in the morning.
Mark
Beeliner
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 4 2020, 07:58 AM) *

I used the black "diamond" sound deadener which I bought on Amazon (made in Russia) under a sewn Perlon carpet piece I bought on eBay from Rennspeed in Duarte, Ca.

The noise difference with the insulation was remarkable. It was like a different car inside. I liked the fact that the sound proof material wasn't shiny silver foil.

Great product, and easy to use/apply.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Deadening-auto...0TY748N4GMGF8Z4

It arrives next week....
Jsebben

Click to view attachment

How did you attach the top of the carpet at the rear window ?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
our lady sue makes the GT backwall carpet kit out of the original perlon

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Feb 27 2020, 08:54 PM) *

Thanks
Chris

Geezer914
Another vote for Perlon carpet.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Jsebben @ Aug 10 2023, 10:00 AM) *

Click to view attachment

How did you attach the top of the carpet at the rear window ?

I am going to do this soon, just plan to glue it up by the rear window (and entire thing) with some weldwood contact adhesive. Between the window and carpet I will get a rubber weather strip to trim it out.

I like how @n2j2ryan install turned out.

This one in the pic looks like they hemmed on a trim to the perlon itself.
euro911
I purchased a length of anodized aluminum 'L' extrusion to finish off the top of the carpet

Click to view attachment

https://orangealuminum.com/A63500063/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.