Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Cheap tools in important situations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight, but there are times when cheap tools are a bad idea. I grabbed the wrong jack before a road trip a few weeks ago. So here I am, 1000 miles from home, looking for the plug that flew out of my cheap HF jack, damn you Harbor Freight!
davep
Nothing like such a situation to drive home the message that good items can be cheaper in the long run.
Root_Werks
There's a few things I'll get from HF. Usually furniture dollies or other similar items. No jacks or power tools.
mepstein
I really don’t think there is much difference between the made in China tools from harbor freight and the made in China tools from everybody else.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 29 2020, 11:48 AM) *

I really don’t think there is much difference between the made in China tools from harbor freight and the made in China tools from everybody else.

The problem with HF is that they actually have decent stuff, but it costs more, sometimes a lot more, so you invariably roll the dice on the cheap one, and pay the price. For example, this jack was under $100, I bought it on the road one time when we needed one in a pinch, but when I went to replace it I bought one from HF for almost three times as much. Northern Tool has China stuff too but usually doesn't have the really cheap option. Another example, you can buy a cutting wheel at HF for $9, but the one I used cost about $150, from HF.
I just have to remind myself to not fall for the okey-doke low price.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Who cares when you won that great 356!!!!!! The agony of harbor freight makes the experience of the "barn fine" much more gratifying! Congrats rescuing that car!

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 29 2020, 07:49 AM) *

I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight, but there are times when cheap tools are a bad idea. I grabbed the wrong jack before a road trip a few weeks ago. So here I am, 1000 miles from home, looking for the plug that flew out of my cheap HF jack, damn you Harbor Freight!

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 29 2020, 02:01 PM) *

Who cares when you won that great 356!!!!!! The agony of harbor freight makes the experience of the "barn fine" much more gratifying! Congrats rescuing that car!

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 29 2020, 07:49 AM) *

It's a pretty cool car, Euro-delivery, with sunroof. It was a two-fer, got a 68 912 too.
Bleyseng
Should've grabbed that Westy too
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 29 2020, 08:17 PM) *

Don't know anything about those, I only buy what I know, Porsches that are older than me, I was born in 74.
Literati914
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 29 2020, 03:43 PM) *

..you can buy a cutting wheel at HF for $9, but..

I buy a lot of things from HF but PLEASE take it from me and DO NOT use a cut off wheel/blade from them! Use only the best you can get. Had one blow up on me, stitches to the face.

HF has a 10" Sliding compound chop saw at the moment for $95 ... and It's more robust than the $238 Ryobi version at HomeDepot. Problem is I have a HomeDepot store credit headbang.gif .
saigon71
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 1 2020, 12:33 AM) *

I buy a lot of things from HF but PLEASE take it from me and DO NOT use a cut off wheel/blade from them! Use only the best you can get. Had one blow up on me, stitches to the face.

HF has a 10" Sliding compound chop saw at the moment for $95 ... and It's more robust than the $238 Ryobi version at HomeDepot. Problem is I have a HomeDepot store credit headbang.gif .

I'm a HF fan for many items. But not the chop saw. I tried picking up one for a project several years ago. After screwing around for a few hours trying to get it to cut square (and keep cutting square), I took it back and bought a Dewalt, which I am very happy with.
mepstein
I think the stuff at HF is a lot better now than a couple years ago. I’m sure not all their stuff is better but a lot of the tools I’ve purchased there recently work great. But I understand everyone has their preferences and that’s fine. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 29 2020, 11:28 PM) *

Don't know anything about those, I only buy what I know, Porsches that are older than me, I was born in 74.

Funny... I always got the impression that you were the same age as Al Zim..... poke.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 1 2020, 05:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 29 2020, 11:28 PM) *

Funny... I always got the impression that you were the same age as Al Zim..... poke.gif

The last pic I took of Sir Zim, at his place.
bandjoey
OT Just wondering if you saw this one? At Mebane NC Copart this one on Facebook today
Blue6
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 1 2020, 05:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 1 2020, 12:33 AM) *

I'm a HF fan for many items. But not the chop saw. I tried picking up one for a project several years ago. After screwing around for a few hours trying to get it to cut square (and keep cutting square), I took it back and bought a Dewalt, which I am very happy with.

agree.gif I bought the 10” sliding chop saw. It was cheap and very good for rough construction. When I was building a decorative fence, I could not get a square cut. The tolerances were just not there.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 1 2020, 06:05 PM) *

OT Just wondering if you saw this one? At Mebane NC Copart this one on Facebook today

Part of the explosion.
Porschef
Brick walls like that don’t come cheap; that, your distance estimate and the pines make me think an affluent area outside Atlanta?

confused24.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 2 2020, 03:21 AM) *

Brick walls like that don’t come cheap; that, your distance estimate and the pines make me think an affluent area outside Atlanta?

confused24.gif

Close, but nope, this was South Cakalaka.

I grew up in Buckhead, only saw one 356 growing up. I did find my first barnfind in Peachtree Hills, a 190SL.
eric9144
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 1 2020, 09:12 PM) *

Part of the explosion.

Man that's painful to look at icon8.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.