Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK, I'm ready to start putting it back together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
I'm retired and now have time to put the 914 together. it has had a rotisserie restoration on the body and painted a nice Signal Orange.

I've got the suspension and wheels on. I'm guessing starting at putting wire harness back in, getting the instruments in, and the dash squared away.

What should do next? Put things in groups (interior, front trunk, engine, etc.)?? or just start finding parts and get them back on the car?

Thanks!
bkrantz
Yes, probably harness and related stuff next. What about new fuel lines? Brake lines?

As for all the rest, a plan sounds good, but I will bet that a plan could easily derailed by missing or delayed parts. I say, do what seems most fun on a given day.
falcor75
Electrical harness and then the wipers and front hvac stuff because its all downhill from that point.
cwpeden
Put doors on last, cause if you haven't got the dash/interior together you will curse them.

And ditto to falcor75
76-914
Do those 2 damned springs on the glove box door. I'm pretty sure everything else follows. lol-2.gif
Front yard mechanic
The sooner you get the steering wheel on the sooner you can make vroom vroom noises
Type 47
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 2 2020, 08:06 PM) *

Yes, probably harness and related stuff next. What about new fuel lines? Brake lines?
As for all the rest, a plan sounds good, but I will bet that a plan could easily derailed by missing or delayed parts. I say, do what seems most fun on a given day.

Fuel lines yes, have SS brake lines for the calipers...the car only had 62k on the clock when I took it apart so I will have to inspect the hard lines close; they are probably good. doing what is fun is good advice b/c you will see more progress and keep motivated.

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 2 2020, 08:40 PM) *

Electrical harness and then the wipers and front hvac stuff because its all downhill from that point.
Makes sense.

After the dash/gauges it makes sense to do the wipers, hvac stuff and the fuel tank next...good advice.
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Mar 2 2020, 09:47 PM) *

Put doors on last, cause if you haven't got the dash/interior together you will curse them.
And ditto to falcor75

The doors never came off so I will just have to deal with them

here is what it looks like so far...well I will post when I refigure out how to do that on this site...it's been a while since I posted a pic here.

cary
Harness and center tunnel lines.
Type 47
here are some pics
Click to view attachment

Type 47
current state with suspension/wheels on
Click to view attachment
Type 47
my goal is for it to emulate my 1st 914...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Type 47
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 3 2020, 09:57 AM) *

Harness and center tunnel lines.

OK, that make sense. Get the brake lines, pedals, calipers, and rotors buttoned up
bbrock
Delete - double post
bbrock
Good tips so far.
- Definitely harness and tunnel lines first.

- Dash is a piece of cake to assemble OFF the car (upper dash pad, glove box, cigar lighter) and install as an assembly. Much harder to assemble with the metal frame already in the car.

- Stubbing screw driver goes a long way to deal with doors on during dash install.

- I like the sequence I used for the front trunk assembly:
1. air diverters with bowden cables attached.
2. Antenna.
3. Wiper assembly.
4. Fresh Air box.

cary
Lots of blue tape anywhere your tool can slip off.
Especially screwdrivers.

How old is the paint job ?
mbseto
That's awesome, I'm jealous - can't wait to be at that point.
Type 47
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 3 2020, 10:25 AM) *

Good tips so far.
- Definitely harness and tunnel lines first.

- Dash is a piece of cake to assemble OFF the car (upper dash pad, glove box, cigar lighter) and install as an assembly. Much harder to assemble with the metal frame already in the car.

- Stubbing screw driver goes a long way to deal with doors on during dash install.

- I like the sequence I used for the front trunk assembly:
1. air diverters with bowden cables attached.
2. Antenna.
3. Wiper assembly.
4. Fresh Air box.

Excellent, I will start documenting this. It's the gauges and electronics I'm most concerned about.

QUOTE(cary @ Mar 3 2020, 10:31 AM) *

Lots of blue tape anywhere your tool can slip off.
Especially screwdrivers.

How old is the paint job ?

about 3-4 years, kept in the garaged. I've already got a nick by the door handle. lots of wide blue tape, indeed.

Morph914
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Mar 3 2020, 01:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The teener looks good but I’m loving the Camaro under it!
Type 47
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Mar 3 2020, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Mar 3 2020, 01:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The teener looks good but I’m loving the Camaro under it!

Here's a better look at it.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.