Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Huge Porsche gift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
Looks like Cal State Fullerton is getting a huge gift, a car collection including 904-076 and a Speedster.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/10-milli...car-collection/
911GT2
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 3 2020, 05:00 AM) *

Looks like Cal State Fullerton is getting a huge gift, a car collection including 904-076 and a Speedster.

That makes me sad.
Those cars shouldn't be in a 'collection' they should be on the road. Driving! A car in a museum is like a body without a soul to me. Just a vehicle. They come to life when driven.
Gatornapper
COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

[/quote]
That makes me sad.
Those cars shouldn't be in a 'collection' they should be on the road. Driving! A car in a museum is like a body without a soul to me. Just a vehicle. They come to life when driven.
[/quote]
ClayPerrine
agree.gif

At the Porsche parade in Fort Worth in 2004, Peter Porsche was looking at the Concour field. He was asked if he loved all the beautiful Porsches displayed. He said he would rather see them driven.

A beautiful car that is not driven is not a car. It is an art exhibit. An auto museum is a mausoleum, where you go to look at past glories of cars, never to see the road or track again. The only difference between a museum and a wrecking yard is that the cars in the wrecking yard were never historically significant. I always look at both with sadness. The museum is the state funeral for historic cars that never ends. The wrecking yard is the potter's field, where no one cares anymore.

So.. get off your butts and show your 914 the appreciation it deserves. Work on it and dream of driving it when its finished. Otherwise, get out and drive it, even if only to work. Go find some twisties this weekend and carve up the road.

CARPE VIAM!!
Mueller
The school will be selling off the collection in the future from what I read.

Only time will tell if the new owners will take them out once in a while for a good flogging.

iwanta914-6
Looks like they will be sold, presumably at auction. Now why is there no mention of the BMW 2002 'roundie' in this "15 car" collection? That's the only one I could maybe afford anyway unless it's a Tii.

The collection is testamentary and will be sold by the Cal State Fullerton Philanthropic Foundation at the proper time. It is the objective of Nicholas Begovich that the university obtains the maximum value of $10 million or more for the cars. Begovich would prefer buyers who will keep large parts of the car collection together.
Unobtanium-inc
The only bonus to cars going to a museum or non-profit is that they will be accessible to the public, unlike private collections. I have a neighbor with a multi-million dollar Porsche collection, guess how many people get to see it, about 3.
I agree they should be driven, I drive all my cars, even trash my Roadster at autocross, sometimes causing damage, but my rule is never to have a car or a dog you're afraid of, so I drive my cars and have little dogs.
Jett
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 3 2020, 07:23 AM) *

The only bonus to cars going to a museum or non-profit is that they will be accessible to the public, unlike private collections. I have a neighbor with a multi-million dollar Porsche collection, guess how many people get to see it, about 3.
I agree they should be driven, I drive all my cars, even trash my Roadster at autocross, sometimes causing damage, but my rule is never to have a car or a dog you're afraid of, so I drive my cars and have little dogs.

Agreed that all cars should be driven but sometimes folks hide their collections so that others don’t misunderstand why or how such a collection is built.

btw. Those are some viscous looking dogs smile.gif

thelogo
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Mar 3 2020, 05:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 3 2020, 05:00 AM) *

That makes me sad.

Exactly why id never be intrested in a 100k original/6

eric9144
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 3 2020, 08:21 AM) *

agree.gif and the reason I got a hot conversion car, I want to drive it and not just stare at it in the garage.

Man that 904, the Miura and that ATS wub.gif drooley.gif
The Talbot Lago in that collection is also a stunner yet they don't even show pics of it.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 3 2020, 06:46 AM) *

agree.gif

At the Porsche parade in Fort Worth in 2004, Peter Porsche was looking at the Concour field. He was asked if he loved all the beautiful Porsches displayed. He said he would rather see them driven.

A beautiful car that is not driven is not a car. It is an art exhibit. An auto museum is a mausoleum, where you go to look at past glories of cars, never to see the road or track again. The only difference between a museum and a wrecking yard is that the cars in the wrecking yard were never historically significant. I always look at both with sadness. The museum is the state funeral for historic cars that never ends. The wrecking yard is the potter's field, where no one cares anymore.

So.. get off your butts and show your 914 the appreciation it deserves. Work on it and dream of driving it when its finished. Otherwise, get out and drive it, even if only to work. Go find some twisties this weekend and carve up the road.

CARPE VIAM!!

Cannot agree more. Very few museums (or collections, for that matter) keep each car ready to go and really put them out there. A few manufacturers really put their old cars to work, but the sad reality is so many great cars become 1:1 models. That leak oil.

Far better that they're out there, and a driven hot rod is always more interesting to me than a static former hero.

Will say that this is a good end to a car collection, however—particularly if the university benefits (which it certainly will) and more so if those cars make it out into the world in the hands of someone like this...

driving-girl.gif
RickS
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Mar 3 2020, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 3 2020, 08:21 AM) *

agree.gif and the reason I got a hot conversion car, I want to drive it and not just stare at it in the garage.

Man that 904, the Miura and that ATS wub.gif drooley.gif
The Talbot Lago in that collection is also a stunner yet they don't even show pics of it.

Exactomundoly!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.