Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help. Ideas to use stock 3.2 Motronic air-box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hello all,

I would like to run the stock ('87 Carrera) Motronic air (filter) box on my 3.2 in my Six instead of the usual K&N air filter cone.

I was at the Phoenix Club swap/show over the weekend and the 3.2 cars that were there, that I saw, had the K&N cone right behind the driver's head essentially. I really want to try to minimize the noise in that location (old guy).

I called and talked with Patrick Motorsports, I figured they would already have a kit to do that since they do so many of these swaps, but alas, nope.

Does anyone have a car with the 3.2 Motronic injection where they are running the factory air box? If so what did you do to make it fit? I would love pictures of course.

Any help would be appreciated. We are so close to being done.

Thanks,
Michael beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Yes, I did it and it was very easy. I took the suggestion of people here, went to my flaps (pep boys) and got a 4" extension with a rubber sleeve. It was $12. It was plastic and had a bend on one end so I cut off the bend with a chop saw.

I then used the extension between the AFM (air flow meter) and the rubber inlet. Since the afm now sits about 10" to the left, I made a bracket out of metal that I got from home depot. About 3/4" wide, maybe 1/8 thick. It might have two brackets, I don't remember. But I just bent the metal in the vice with a hammer and drilled holes to fit. It just helps to support the afm, nothing super fancy. Now the air box sits all the way to the front left, above the oil filter. I might be able to put the curved snorkel on it if I really tried but since the opening was under the shelf at the rear window, I left the snorkel off.

It was an easy project for me so it's really easy for most people. Once I knew the brackets fit, I hit them with some black paint. They only had a chrome extension but even that looks fine in the engine bay.

Sorry, no pics of mine but here's Jim's car that has the same idea. You do NOT need to flip the intake or anything silly like that.
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
Cairo94507
See, I knew this could be done and it would not mean breaking the bank. I appreciate the photos. Anyone else who has done this and has pictures, please post them or get a hold of me on a PM and I will give you my email address. I appreciate the help Mark and sixnotFour. beerchug.gif
mepstein
PMS used to sell an adapter kit for $75 but it was just like what everyone here was already doing.
Cairo94507
Thanks Mark. Yeah, my first call was to PMS and they told me they had nothing and would just make something on the fly as needed. I was surprised to hear that as I believed they have done so many of these they would have a readily available kit.
sixnotfour
PMS, Did this canister type,,With air intake Right side...................do I sound fast ?
Or is that a heater blower on the right side ??
Cairo94507
Anyone else? I like seeing how others have done stuff before we tackle it.
beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
ss6
Michael, that is a spiffy clean engine compartment!

Where did you get the oil hoses to the side tank?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 7 2020, 11:21 AM) *

beer3.gif

Clean A/C install in a 914? That's just mean...in a good way.
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 7 2020, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 7 2020, 11:21 AM) *

beer3.gif

Clean A/C install in a 914? That's just mean...in a good way.

He was at Hershey last year. Said it was a great working system. I think it would be terrific on a typical east coast hot and humid day.
Cairo94507
Some cool ways to make this work.
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
Steve
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 12 2020, 09:38 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Looks clean, but it would make it harder to get to the fan belt.
Steve
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 3 2020, 03:12 PM) *

beer3.gif

This is my car before I added heat exchangers and the right side early air ducting instead of that electric fan mess. I recently switched back to a k&n air cleaner and heat shield to make it water proof. The stock air cleaner makes it harder to check the oil, but it is much quieter.
Cairo94507
Reviving this thread as I am approaching this swap on my list of things to do. So, if you are running a motor with Motronic injection and the factory 3.2 air-box, let me see how you installed it. I have seen a few examples and just want to be sure I am not overlooking something.

Ideally, I would like the air-box to live over near the battery on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I want to be able to check the oil easily.
Coondog
Your engine is beautiful
Cairo94507
Thanks Greg. beerchug.gif
mepstein
I didn’t flip the injection. Just the $10 flaps extension. It’s still easy to get to the oil cap. A little harder to get to the oil filter but removing the air box from the maf is only 4 Allen head bolts so not really an issue. It’s one of the easier things to do.
scallyk9
I did exactly as mepstein has done. I also purchased PMS kit when it was still available but only used the tube and clamps as their kit was for a larger cone filter. I would like to add that the K&N cone filter that was on it was too small in order to clear the engine lid so I am actually moving air more easily using the stock 3.2L airbox with snorkel turned away from the fan. I have generally better function and induction noise is quieter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.