Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ?'s For people running Diamond Racing Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
What size wheels and what backspacing are you running with the Diamond Racing wheels and standard GT flares? Also what size tires?

I am planning to use these but I want to get a little edumacated first.
nine14cats
Hi Jason,

I test fit my Diamond Racing Wheels with Hoosier slicks on JLO. Here is the thread:

Diamond Wheels

The flares on JLO are about 1.5 inches wider front and back than standard GT flares. My Diamond wheels have a 5.25 inch back spacing but a 5.5 backspacing will work as well. Mine are 16x10's all around.

I hope this will help for a point of reference.

Thanks,

Bill P.
jasons
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jul 5 2005, 02:52 PM)
Hi Jason,

I test fit my Diamond Racing Wheels with Hoosier slicks on JLO. Here is the thread:

Diamond Wheels

The flares on JLO are about 1.5 inches wider front and back than standard GT flares. My Diamond wheels have a 5.25 inch back spacing but a 5.5 backspacing will work as well. Mine are 16x10's all around.

I hope this will help for a point of reference.

Thanks,

Bill P.

Thats a start. I want to run 15x8's. So lets see if this makes sense...

I would have a diff of -1.5" on the GT flares. And a diff of -2" for 8" wheels.

Using your numbers, "if" I wanted to run 10" wheels under the standard GT flares, I would need about add 1.5" to your 5.5" for 7" BS. Since I want to run 8" wheels under the GT flares, I could subtract the 2" from the 7" BS approximation.

That would put me about 5" backspacing? Diamonds limit on the Avengers is 4.5" so perhaps that is where I will wind up.
J P Stein
By guessin' & by gollyin' on wheel fitment can get you in trouble. 5.5 backspace on my front wheels caused them to rub on the brake caliper....I went with a .100 spacer....any farther, the tiars would rub on the fender.

My 7 x 15 & 225 wheels/tires (5 in backspace) needed a 7mm spacer to clear the inner fender. 10 X 16 (5in backspace) & 10 in slicks cleared with no problem & no spacer....even with -2 camber.....why? Cause the slicks side wall is verticle rather than bulging inward....so you have to worry about the tire, also.

Enjoy ! biggrin.gif
jhadler
I have 15x8 diamond's on my car, running with 225/45-15 Hoosiers. The wheels have 5" backspacing.

No flares on front, they fit perfectly. Only rub at full lock. The rears, I just massaged the fenders with a 2x4 (really, it looks better than it sounds), and got an extra 1-1/2 clearance.

Nice thing about running the same wheel/tire at all four corners is that I can rotate them around to even out the wear...

-Josh2
nine14cats
The whole wheel fitment thing is a bugger... laugh.gif

Here's another thread where I test fit up some 16x10 inch HRE's with 5 5/8 " backspacing. There are some pics of the inner clearance.

Again, these are slicks...Goodyear 23.5x1.05x16's, so the sidewall clearance is relatively up and down.

The street tires on JLO (non slicks) are on 17" rims. The sizes are:

Front = 215/45/17
Rear = 255/40/17

They are on 17x8.5's and 17x10's.

There is a ton of room under the flares. These look like they would clear standard GT flares. For the street I have spacers to fill out the wheel wells.

Here is the thread for the above:

More wheel fitting with JP and Bill P.

Enjoy! beer.gif

Bill P.
jasons
QUOTE (jhadler @ Jul 5 2005, 03:37 PM)
I have 15x8 diamond's on my car, running with 225/45-15 Hoosiers. The wheels have 5" backspacing.

No flares on front, they fit perfectly. Only rub at full lock. The rears, I just massaged the fenders with a 2x4 (really, it looks better than it sounds), and got an extra 1-1/2 clearance.

Nice thing about running the same wheel/tire at all four corners is that I can rotate them around to even out the wear...

-Josh2

hmmmm.... That would probably put me in the 3"-4" range.... I would like to run the same wheels front and rear.
Joe Ricard
My red neck racer has 15 X 8 Diamond rims Pro series. 4 1/2" back space with 205/50-15 Hoosiers. I got enough clearance with the inside to run 225/45-15 A compound Hoosiers. Still eating my wheeties before I apply another 10,000 whacks to the rear fenders.
grantsfo
QUOTE (jhadler @ Jul 5 2005, 03:37 PM)

-Josh2

I like the idea of running 225/45/15 Hoosiers on my 15x8" wheels. Once I get some more power think I'll go up a size.
scottb
along this theme, is there a place with a calculator to get the proper offset/backspacing for different fenderwell widths? heck, even a place that will show a visual reference so a fairly well educated guess can be made....

or if there is a list of what has worked for others using a particular setup.

ie - 4 lug std fenders
- 5 lug std fenders
- 4 lug fiberglass gt flares
- 5 lug fiberglass gt flares

etc.. etc..

seems like it can be a lot of trial and error judging from jp's thread.

muchas gracias...
J P Stein
QUOTE (scottb @ Jul 5 2005, 05:12 PM)
along this theme, is there a place with a calculator to get the proper offset/backspacing for different fenderwell widths?  heck, even a place that will show a visual reference so a fairly well educated guess can be made....

ie - 4 lug std fenders
   - 5 lug std fenders

etc.. etc..

muchas gracias...

I agree.
At some point you gotta make a SWAG (scientific wild assed guess.. for the acronym challenged) and go for something.
I've mounted a fair amount of different combos on my car, so I had a clue.....but still had a couple nasty surprises. They just made my bald spot a bit larger. We need a headscratching smiley. idea.gif
jasons
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jul 5 2005, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (scottb @ Jul 5 2005, 05:12 PM)
along this theme, is there a place with a calculator to get the proper offset/backspacing for different fenderwell widths?  heck, even a place that will show a visual reference so a fairly well educated guess can be made....

ie - 4 lug std fenders
   - 5 lug std fenders

etc.. etc..

muchas gracias...

I agree.
At some point you gotta make a SWAG (scientific wild assed guess.. for the acronym challenged) and go for something.
I've mounted a fair amount of different combos on my car, so I had a clue.....but still had a couple nasty surprises. They just made my bald spot a bit larger. We need a headscratching smiley. idea.gif

Thats why I want to get a handle before I take the plunge. I should mock it up before I get the wheels. Right now, I don't even have the flares. Just plans and a budget.

But if I can get good input, at least I can get a baseline to work from.
Brett W
Buy my two wheels. They are 15x8 with a 5in backspace. I ran them with the GT flares from AIR. With a 9.5 inch slick they rubbed a little on the inside of the body but with 225-50/15 tires I had no problems.
jasons
QUOTE (Brett W @ Jul 5 2005, 06:15 PM)
Buy my two wheels. They are 15x8 with a 5in backspace. I ran them with the GT flares from AIR. With a 9.5 inch slick they rubbed a little on the inside of the body but with 225-50/15 tires I had no problems.

Whats the condition of them? I'm not looking for perfection, I just want them to more or less match the other 2 I would have to buy. Which model Diamonds are they?
J P Stein
OK, here's what I had to do to get 225s on 7s. I woulda needed another 1/2-3/4 inch to get 8s on there on this side...more on the other.
Brett W
They are straight. Black, I think they are the avenger series. 4x130 pattern.
Brett W
That would be dust on the wheels. I have 2 for 50$ They weigh 19lbs each.
jasons
QUOTE (Brett W @ Jul 5 2005, 08:17 PM)
That would be dust on the wheels. I have 2 for 50$ They weigh 19lbs each.

$50 for the pair? Did you have to use the 45 degree lugs also?
Brett W
Yes for the pair. NO I just used the factory style acorn seats. No it probably wasn't a good idea, but I did it anyway. Never had any problems. The wheels never loosened and there were never any weird vibrations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.