Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: From the 914 Kit car archives.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914forme
I found these in Dad's collection, and figured they should be uploaded to help somebody out, or at least add historical reference to the 914 being used a chassis for kit cars.

First up Eagle
914forme
Next Rayco

Click to view attachment
914forme
Mitcom Stuff

Click to view attachment

Order Form just incase they honor the price confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
914forme
Chalon Instruction Booklet.

Click to view attachment
barefoot
Good stuff !!! as a Chalon bodied owner. Mine is further modified in a couple areas, i think are well done:

Click to view attachment
Barefoot
Retroracer
Stephen - thx for sharing.

The Chalon instruction photos were harrowing to look at - taking a jigsaw to a real -6....! I may have teared up a bit while scrolling through....

- Tony
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Mar 4 2020, 01:43 PM) *

Stephen - thx for sharing.

The Chalon instruction photos were harrowing to look at - taking a jigsaw to a real -6....! I may have teared up a bit while scrolling through....

- Tony

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif
914forme
Dad had a parts car 1.7l -4 he wanted to do something with. I remember picking up. It sat off to the side of a gas station for years, it was rough and previous owner had pimped it out. It had purple seat inserts. Not nice looking, it was like fake fur.

I found a dead fish behind the back pad, by the time we got the car, it was a bit a less smelly, but someone must not have liked the person who owned the car, to take the seats move them forward, loosen a few screws and toss a fish behind the back pad and button it all up.

Maybe it was a John, or a hooker that hated their pimp. confused24.gif

Needless to say we never cut into any of the cars to make them any of these, but Dad collected the materials. Glad it helped someone, or at worst provided an emotional release.

Unobtanium-inc
My dad did an Eagle.
Chris H.
That's some cool historical info Stephen. Always liked that Eagle, and Chalons that are done right are cool too. Certainly a place for them if you have a shell that isn't easily restored for one reason or another.
IronHillRestorations
I'm pretty sure John Burnham is who developed the Eagle, which IMHO is the best re-body for a 914, is on one of the 914 Facebook groups.

I've always wanted to build an Eagle
Teen Hulk
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 4 2020, 04:28 PM) *

My dad did an Eagle.

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Mar 4 2020, 06:16 PM) *

I'm pretty sure John Burnham is who developed the Eagle, which IMHO is the best re-body for a 914, is on one of the 914 Facebook groups.

I've always wanted to build an Eagle

PatW, an active member here, used to own the molds.

Edit, damn wrong laptop, this is Ethan's dad.
914forme
Found the original photos that where sent with the letter today for the Eagle.

Might as well add them here, to keep it all together.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
i have always wanted an Eagle
914Sixer
Yep, the Eagle is what the 914 should have looked like to start.
Unobtanium-inc
Years after my dad sold his Eagle it popped up for sale a couple of blocks from my house, but it was real rough. Smashed in the back, etc. Had my dad still been alive I might have bought it to re-do with him, but he had already passed. One time he did have a funny thing happen after he sold it. A few years later it popped up for sale and the seller had this long story about how the body was made in Germany and it was super rare, blah-blah. My dad said he was wrong, he had built the car, the body came from Eagle in FL. The guy was incredulous, how could my dad know it's the same car. My dad asked him if the hold down for the trunk said Samsonite on them. The guy turned red on that one, yup, because my dad ripped up his old luggage for those hold downs.
Root_Werks
Wow, that is probably the coolest 914 rebody I've seen! Too bad no one makes them anymore.
GeorgeRud
How about Auto Atlanta’s 9014? There were also some full convertible versions by Beach Boys Rac8ng in Venice, Ca.
IronHillRestorations
The Beach Boys Racing Monterey is another rebody. I think the Monterey looks better in pictures than in person, but that's just me.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes back when 914s were not worth much and no one wanted to purchase 8000 dollars worth of sheetmetal, so we came up with a fiberglass kit where only the fenders had to be removed not the rest of the structure cut. Sold a lot of them until we made the steel gt flares and the cars became more valuable. The GT flares actually killed the market for the kit!!!

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 16 2020, 07:09 PM) *

How about Auto Atlanta’s 9014? There were also some full convertible versions by Beach Boys Rac8ng in Venice, Ca.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Tdskip
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 4 2020, 03:28 PM) *

My dad did an Eagle.

Ferrari called, they want their Dino 246 prototype back.
Spoke
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 16 2020, 10:09 PM) *

How about Auto Atlanta’s 9014?

A few years back a Porsche 356 restorer in Allentown, PA had most of the body panels for the 9014 sitting around in his shop. He said he had worked or dealt with George to acquire/produce the kit.
mbseto
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 17 2020, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 4 2020, 03:28 PM) *

My dad did an Eagle.

Ferrari called, they want their Dino 246 prototype back.

The Carrera GTS came first. I've read that it was the inspiration for the Dino (and half a dozen others) but have seen no proof of that other than the chronology.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree that the Eagle looked great, the only problem being that one had to cut away a lot of the body work and the kit was very very complicated to install. That was one of the things I considered when designing the 9014. It used the stock doors and kept the two trunks intact (the eagle did not) just replacing the fenders and bolting on new bumpers

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 4 2020, 01:28 PM) *

My dad did an Eagle.

sfrenck
Looks good enough that I turned to Google. Found a website with pictures and information - but the links to the enlarged pictures are broken

Eagle GT website
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.