Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help needed: Panel dimensions to make carbon parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
Hi World -
I'm looking into having a set of high quality molds made so we have the option of buying carbon fiber parts that are essentially ready to paint / bolt on. No muss, no fuss.
Specifically, the hood and trunk lids.

My concern is that with the variation we know our cars have, I want to submit the "biggest" panels for use in making the molds so that, if needed, the parts could be trimmed down for that perfect fit! aktion035.gif

In order to do this, I wanted to get a feel for what sort of variance there may be in the panels. Here's where I'd really appreciate your help:

Measure your panels and post the values in this thread.

I'll start!
tygaboy
Here's my '75 hood.

Note that all measurements were taken across the panel, with the tape following the contour of the hood EXCEPT across the rear. In that case, I just went corner to corner, as pictured.
ConeDodger
Chris,
I know you are all about doing it yourself. You know though that Getty and GT Racing both make fiberglass and carbon fiber lids right?
Mueller
Of all the cr@p I've bought then turned around and sold later on due to being stupid/insane the CF hoods I should have kept.

Pictures top and bottom of lids
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...carbon&st=0

and

Click to view attachment
Retroracer
Chris - clearly I need a new measuring tape; pretty sure mine doesn't go to 4 decimal places.....!

- Tony
tygaboy
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Mar 4 2020, 10:33 AM) *

Chris - clearly I need a new measuring tape; pretty sure mine doesn't go to 4 decimal places.....!

- Tony

@Retroracer - Ha! Well, I'm OK if you use fractions! poke.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 4 2020, 09:55 AM) *

Chris,
I know you are all about doing it yourself. You know though that Getty and GT Racing both make fiberglass and carbon fiber lids right?

@ConeDodger Rob - I had a GT Racing fiberglass trunk lid and the fit/finish was unacceptable. The thread @Mueller posted in his reply above contains a comment about the Getty CF parts that "The fit is excellent, however they are slightly smaller than stock and have a larger gap all around."

I don't want that. I haven't seen the Getty CF products in person so can't comment with experience but I don't want to pay $1099 plus shipping per and have larger gaps.
I will say that I sold the Getty fiberglass GT rockers I purchased new from them as again, for the amount of work they needed, I decided I'd rather add Ben's @mb911 metal ends to my stock rockers.

But, as usual, I may change my mind. I have a meeting at the composite company tomorrow so we'll see what happens.
sb914
First in line for the “group buy”
thelogo
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 4 2020, 09:06 AM) *

Hi World -
I'm looking into having a set of high quality molds made so we have the option of buying carbon fiber parts that are essentially ready to paint / bolt on. No muss, no fuss.
Specifically, the hood and trunk lids.

My concern is that with the variation we know our cars have, I want to submit the "biggest" panels for use in making the molds so that, if needed, the parts could be trimmed down for that perfect fit! aktion035.gif

In order to do this, I wanted to get a feel for what sort of variance there may be in the panels. Here's where I'd really appreciate your help:

Measure your panels and post the values in this thread.

I'll start!

You need to make a carb fibre valance...
wub.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 4 2020, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 4 2020, 09:55 AM) *

Chris,

@ConeDodger Rob - I had a GT Racing fiberglass trunk lid and the fit/finish was unacceptable. The thread @Mueller posted in his reply above contains a comment about the Getty CF parts that "The fit is excellent, however they are slightly smaller than stock and have a larger gap all around."

I don't want that. I haven't seen the Getty CF products in person so can't comment with experience but I don't want to pay $1099 plus shipping per and have larger gaps.
I will say that I sold the Getty fiberglass GT rockers I purchased new from them as again, for the amount of work they needed, I decided I'd rather add Ben's @mb911 metal ends to my stock rockers.

But, as usual, I may change my mind. I have a meeting at the composite company tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

Mine are fiberglass replicas of the GT balsa backed lids and fit really well. Go for it! I think mine are GT Racing. Got to go through receipts to know for sure...
911GT2
QUOTE(sb914 @ Mar 4 2020, 11:53 AM) *

First in line for the “group buy”

agree.gif , ok second then. If shipping is possible.
mb911
I would be really interested in this.. I am undecided if I would paint body color but likely. At least the top side.. Very cool
914forme
Okay, dang put me down for a set, I would love the balsa like the GT lid, and if you can sign them before the last clear epoxy coat on the underside like the factory GT parts, I would really like it.

Chris' signature edition beer.gif
Krieger
I will measure both of mine this weekend. Wider would be better. Make those gaps smaller than stock. I would be in for a set.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 4 2020, 08:21 PM) *

I will measure both of mine this weekend. Wider would be better. Make those gaps smaller than stock. I would be in for a set.

@Krieger - Andy, that would be great, thanks! And yep, small gaps is where it's at...

If you could measure your trunk lid(s), too, I can start collecting that data, as well. Feel free to post the measurements on this thread. Thanks again!
JRust
I'd like to see a CF top! Not crazy about doing the CF from my trunks for the color black. Perfect for the top though biggrin.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 4 2020, 08:44 PM) *

I'd like to see a CF top! Not crazy about doing the CF from my trunks for the color black. Perfect for the top though biggrin.gif

@JRust - The top is the first thing I'm asking him to do and I'm willing to fund that for a single unit. But for my build, all I need is the top skin with the side edges for the seal mounts. I don't require all the underside features.
That said, I will be asking about a "full copy" CF top and will report back.
JRust
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 4 2020, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 4 2020, 08:44 PM) *

@JRust - The top is the first thing I'm asking him to do and I'm willing to fund that for a single unit. But for my build, all I need is the top skin with the side edges for the seal mounts. I don't require all the underside features.
That said, I will be asking about a "full copy" CF top and will report back.

Yeah I want all the seals to be on it like a stock top. Along with mounting. Love to see some improvement of the latches front a rear. Some that give you some easy adjustment for perfect tight fit. I could see those going in a group buy quick. Much quicker than front & rear trunks
tygaboy
Apologies for the detailed post but I figured interested parties would appreciate the update:

OK, so not meaning to jump the gun but, today I had what I think was a very successful meeting with the composite company.

I left them my hood and a smoothed, late roof as the first items to estimate.

We talked about a number of options that included:
- I pay to have them make me molds. They use "my" mold to make parts as I order them and I sell the parts.
- They make and own the molds. I purchase a predetermined number of parts at a particular price.
- A couple other models.

I'll be talking with them in a few days after they've had a chance to take a closer look at the parts and have worked up rough pricing info.

I mentioned the current going rate of ~$1100 for the Getty CF lids and that didn't raise any concerns so I'm cautiously optimistic I can get them to market for less. And the quality will be VERY high.

I think a GROUP BUY would be the best way to make this work and again, I'll know more in a week or so and will keep you all posted. Until then:

Keep Calm and Autoclave On! beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
I'll measure my hood and trunk for you this weekend. Statistically you want the largest sample size you can get since there are so many unknowns here inclusive of the large variable of paint thickness which could be up to 3-4mm itself with high build primer and urethane paint.

Come on guys! help a brother out! Let's get as many measured as possible. You can bet the other supplier went small to ensure that they fit all vehicles. rolleyes.gif

FWIW -- in automotive OEM's generally try to own their own tooling. I can tell you at least two distinct horror stories about suppliers that went bankrupt and we were in court getting access to thier shuttered/locked facilities to get our tools back to send to a viable supplier in order to keep production lines running.

You never know when a supplier is about to go out of business and screw you, even when dealing with the big boys. If you don't own the tools (with proof - ideally have you name or brand built into the tool somewhere), you're double screwed because you may not have the time and/or resources to go back and remake the tooling.

I'm not sure of the #'s involved, but, it is always about risk managment.
Superhawk996
Here are my dimensions in millimeters

Hood

Click to view attachment

Trunk

Click to view attachment
Krieger
This is what I measured. I couldn't get a good fore/aft measurement. Paint wise I know my 75 has less paint on it, but it does measure larger.
infraredcalvin
@tygaboy

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...orts-molds.html

Might be a better start???
tygaboy
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 22 2020, 10:59 PM) *

@infraredcalvin - Thanks for the heads up. Those need to go to someone who will carry on making those parts - and that's not me.
Best of all, it looks like 914 Rubber is on it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.