Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front mounted oil coolers for the /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I got my oil cooler for the front, Setrab 22X6X2 that came with -12 fittings (ebay purchase) and now need to install it into the front trunk. I will be using GT bumper and valance (in FG). I'd like to see some pics for some ideas of how to install it. Doesn't have to be the same size. I will be making my own shroud and probably will be venting out the wheel wells as opposed to the bottom because I will already have my big A/C condensor taking up most of the floor space.

Doug C
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (DougC @ Jul 5 2005, 04:45 PM)
I got my oil cooler for the front, Setrab 22X6X2 that came with -12 fittings...

top or side fittings ?
DougC
Side Fittings...I actually dove into this project last night. Lots of cut-off wheel and grinder sparks. I would have taken pics but the batteries on the camera were discharged. I think I may need to cut a little more on the sides but I need to evaluate a little more - pics would help smile.gif .

Doug C
RON S.
Did mine a couple years ago,
Pics are kinda old,but it all works,and doesn't leak.

I fabbed up a Mazda unit with a removable endcap.I plumbed the unit with -16 Aeroquip Startlite.

R
RON S.
next one

cooler end
RON S.
Overhead,
RON S.
Last one with shroud installed.

It's and old pic,the last line is now in,and the engine is upp & running.

R
DougC
Ron, thanks for the pics..do you have that thing shrouded now? Also, what can you tell me about the fans?

Doug C
Aaron Cox
fans: fans help when your not moving, but impede flow at anything above 10mph or so.

do you really need the fans? your stock engine mounted oil cooler cant handle the duties of idling in traffic??

just a thought

i need to start plumbing my setrab setup....
didja run the lines through the rockers? or through the longs???

it gets squirley when ya get to the front fender, just seein what you did for that

AA
DougC
looks like you beat me to the shrouding question. That's a very nice looking set-up you have, don't think mine will be as nice - mainly because I won't be able to use a factory looking shroud. I'll have to make my own 'cause of my big A/C condensor. I will also have to vent out the side wheel wells. Looks like your cooler is sitting straight up and not slanted forward or backwards which is why I wanted to see some pics. It would probably work either way but I just wasn't sure.

Doug C
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jul 6 2005, 11:31 AM)
your stock engine mounted oil cooler cant handle the duties of idling in traffic??

3,6 ...

no on-engine cooler...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 6 2005, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jul 6 2005, 11:31 AM)
your stock engine mounted oil cooler cant handle the duties of idling in traffic??

3,6 ...

no on-engine cooler...

EDIT: unless it is a 3.6 without an engine oil cooler wink.gif
DougC
As for the question of needing a fan..I doubt the smaller (but streetable) engine would need a fan in regular traffic situations but I need a fan for waiting in lines at TacoBell. I may install a toggle switch to turn it on and lable it "Popeye's Chicken" biggrin.gif . Plus I'll be running a 2.7L with the A/C on..

Doug C
DougC
...in Texas.......in August.... happy11.gif .

Doug C
slivel
Here's mine. Little hard to see with the ducting.
Aaron Cox
ron - do you have a pic of the cutout you made in the front of the tub??
slivel
Intake view from the front.
RON S.
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jul 6 2005, 07:51 AM)
ron - do you have a pic of the cutout you made in the front of the tub??

Yeah Doug,

I got some on my home computer,I have to get after I get off work.

The pic below,shows how much I had to section the shroud,just to get it to fit over my coller and look acceptable.

the fans are 100cfm units,5" dia. ea.

A lotta work,but it turned out ok.

Most of my parts,I designed on Cad,then I lasered them out here in the fab shop.
Tweek & try,Tweek & try til everything looked & fit as professionally as I could make it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.