Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odyssey or Optima?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grimstead
Well I think it's time to buy a new battery and was wondering the groups opinion on which battery to get. idea.gif

I believe the Odyssey's are smaller and lighter than the Optima's but are there any other differences I should be looking for? Any good deal links would be useful too.

This will be going in a 'Semi' DD and the only extra pull I will need would be for a decent sound system.

Thanks... pray.gif
Aaron Cox
your not racing - so weight isnt a big deal
you saw my optima....i like it smile.gif
Joe Ricard
Oddessy only make 220 cold cranking amps. No stereo for me. and I very rarely drive with the driving lights on.
Trekkor
NAPA auto sells their "Orbital" sealed battery.
770 CCA , fits without mods, cost less and has a warranty of course.

Thanks for the lead on this one McMark. wink.gif

KT
Grimstead
Thanks!
I guess I'll be doing some comparisons between the Optima & Orbital...
joeav8tor
I am using the optima 34R with the puck adapter, fits snugly in the battery tray, with some minor shaving down of the base.
Joe
mskala
Had an Optima, worked okay (til dead), but was even heavier than
stock battery.

Got an Odyssey (680) and even though it is much smaller and
lighter, it has no trouble spinning the -6 very fast, and for quite a
long time in the temperatures when we drive our cars.

I busted a wire in the ignition system last month and in proving
what what was wrong, cranked and cranked and never seemed to
get near death. Two thumbs up for odyssey.

Otmar
I've got Twenty Orbitals in my car, used to have Optimas.
From what I hear Optimas are now lower quality than they used to be ten years ago when I loved them. The Orbitals are pretty good, 10% lighter than an Optima and much more cranking power. Reserve capacity is a bit lower but much higher than a Hawker.
I recommend the Orbital. I would even if they didn't sponsor me with these batteries.
VegasRacer
If Otmar recommends Orbital - that is good enough for me. rolleyes.gif
Joseph Mills
Would a small Orbital or Odessy hold up for limited street use?

I put about 3-4k street miles on my car annually.

My car usually starts right up with very little cranking. However, sometimes I play the stereo (with power amp) and sometimes I drive at night.

While I love the idea of saving 25+ pounds, I don't want to feel like I'm pushing it just to play the radio, or be left stranded due to a bit of extra cranking.

Opinions? confused24.gif
Rotary'14
IIRC, The main use of a battery is to start the car. Running accesorie such as lights, stereo, or drink mixer with the car started will only load the alternator, not the battery. If your alternator doesn't put out enough amps to run the accessories, the battery will provide the additional amps, but in this case a higher output alternator is the better solution.

So,, whichever battery size is fine as long as it's got enough CCA to get the starter turning and your car started.
Qarl
Best deals on Hawkery/Odyssey can be found here....

http://www.gotbatteries.com/products/slaba...ies/Odyssey.asp

I just installed the PC545 in the Elise. Weights like 12 lbs. Turns over the car without any issues and runs the stereo fine (from the alternator).

user posted image

I would recommend the PC680 for the 914.

They also offer mounting brackets, suitable for mounting the car in the rear trunk...

http://www.gotbatteries.com/items.asp?para...1/Odyssey/PC680
Otmar
Although I recommend the Orbital for street use, the Hawker is also an excellent battery for what it does.

As long as you are running the engine when you are running the accessories, then the Hawker will hold up fine. (as others have said) But if you are running a stereo and amp with the engine off you are looking at a minimum of 5 Amps of draw, and if your stereo is like the one in my van and you crank it up, you see 40 Amps of draw average.
Try doing that with the engine off with a small Hawker and you only get a few minutes before risking not being able to start.

So, If you are careful not to leave anything on without the alternator working then I'd say the Hawker is fine on the street. If you want to sit around and listen to music while you work on your car, or park with a parking light one (darn turn signal...) then I suggest the Orbital or a larger Hawker.

BTW, as a rule of thumb the weight of a lead battery is directly proportional to how long it can be used at a given load with the engine off.
balljoint
QUOTE (Otmar @ Jul 6 2005, 01:21 PM)
As long as you are running the engine when you are running the accessories, then the Hawker will hold up fine. (as others have said) But if you are running a stereo and amp with the engine off you are looking at a minimum of 5 Amps of draw,

Don't you risk burning out your points if you are running the stereo without the engine running? Seems to me I have heard that caution before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.