Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear tire rubbing fender.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrhurtalot
Good afternoon all,

ive got my car back on the road, and last night I could hear the tire wall rubbing the fender, but only on one side. I dont think there are any shims in place on the side thats rubbing, and the coils should be fine (cars not "bouncy" at all.)

should my first step be to check for shims and return the wheel to a negative camber? sunlight is scarce after work so just trying to work efficiently.

cheers!
SirAndy
Check for a stack of shims, which usually indicates a bent trailing arm.

Also check the suspension console for rust and cracks, i've seen a few that were barely hanging on.

dry.gif
Mueller
Did you change the tires or wheels?
mrhurtalot
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 6 2020, 01:30 PM) *

Check for a stack of shims, which usually indicates a bent trailing arm.

Also check the suspension console for rust and cracks, i've seen a few that were barely hanging on.

dry.gif

so as far as rust goes, I had a friend named alan overhaul the engine, it runs as if its new now. my hand in the process was to clean and polish everything, because me no good with the vroom vroom parts. during this I touched every surface on the car and the only "bad" spot was the hell hole under the battery shelf. which is on the other side.

Ill check for shims, but from what i could tell the trailing arm is fine. Im the second owner of the car and it was fine when I got it and i havent hit anything.

that said, shims sounds like the likely culprit, thanks.
mrhurtalot
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 6 2020, 01:48 PM) *

new tires, same size. either im much fatter than i used to be, or idk whats happening.
Mueller
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Mar 6 2020, 11:55 AM) *

new tires, same size. either im much fatter than i used to be, or idk whats happening.

Same brand tire?

Same size tires can actually vary in size from one manufacture to the next.
Andyrew

Lots of tire manufactuers run wider than others, so thats likely the issue. You might need to step down in tire size. What are you running and how wide of a wheel? Lets see some pictures.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 6 2020, 04:18 PM) *

Lots of tire manufactuers run wider than others, so thats likely the issue. You might need to step down in tire size. What are you running and how wide of a wheel? Lets see some pictures.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.