Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: George Follmer " American Wheel Man "
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
George Follmer one of the Titans of the CanAm days piloted a 917 panzer, in a field of other Greats like McLaren, Donohue, Posey, Schekter. Author Tom Madigan, and published by Ed Justice, jr. it's a great read ! I have had it for a few months, and when I mentioned it to a good friend...he said to send along and he will have it signed for me.
Very grateful that it's now autographed and in my motorsports library...goes well with my Follmer / MoMo steering wheel on the flat-fan car driving.gif
Click to view attachment
URY914
I saw his 917-10 this morning at Amelia Island.........

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 6 2020, 06:37 PM) *

I saw his 917-10 this morning at Amelia Island.........

Click to view attachment

L & M's smokemm !! driving.gif
FlacaProductions
I had that slot car back in the day.
(and it's one of the reasons I'm a Porsche fan and a Follmer fan!)
KELTY360
Watched him driving one of the 911 RSRs at the inaugural IROC at Riverside Raceway. He was part of one of the greatest lineup of drivers in racing history.
sixnotfour
Let George Do It...
bought 2 of these yrs ago
horizontally-opposed
Have been fortunate to spend time with George Follmer, most recently on a series of phone calls for last year's "Blink" series, and feel exactly that: Fortunate. What a cool American, cool champion, and cool car guy.

My favorite time with him, however, came at Laguna Seca during an LSR event, when Jim Edwards put George and Johannes van Overbeek in a 934 and 935 for a story for Excellence. George was a delight to be around, but cracked all of us up when he was asked if he wanted to drive the 934 for a second time and he smiled, said "No thanks, how about I drive that instead?" (pointing to the old Joe Camel RSR). Edwards was cool with that, and George had a lot of fun in the RSR for the rest of the day. Just after a session where George had been out in "The Last 935," the old Akin car, a guy driving a (thin-air?) "RSR" came up, breathless and said "Hey George, I pas...uh, I was with you coming out of the Corkscrew." I was up there taking pics when they came down the hill, and while he passed George Follmer he failed to surpass George Follmer. I asked George about it later, and he said he had nothing to gain and everything to lose in an old 935, and was just happy to be out there. How cool is that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.