Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whoops!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave_Darling
What is it that the petunia thought when falling several miles (alongside the whale)?

"Not again!"

(Hitch Hiker's reference.)

It seems I'm jobless again; no longer part of the SF contingent of the 914 club. Probably not a bad thing, because the commute was really killing me. Jeff and others with the same miserable commute, I stand in awe of you. pray.gif

I'm thinking that I need to do a few things now. There are a number of "chores" that still need to get done (and now I have time for them!); plus I have a bunch of sleep I need to catch up on. There's some family visiting that should get done. And I really, really need to figure out what it is I want to do with my life from here. Do I want to really figure out how C++ programming works? Do I want to bail out of software alltogether and do "something else" (and if so, what)??

Fortunately, my attorney wub.gif has been very supportive. Hopefully she will remain so.

(Hmm, I wonder if the San Mateo cops had anything to do with this one??? wink.gif )

--DD
tat2dphreak
man, sorry to hear that Dave... sad.gif

nebreitling
i'm sorry to hear that, dave -- but i must say, you have a great attitude towards the whole thing.
redshift
smilie_pokal.gif THAT SUCKS!

What is it with 914 people, and work situations? We need a union.

Good luck Dave, I am sure you will land on your feet, or at least be able to simulate that.

cool_shades.gif

M
Trekkor
Remember that funny suggestion I made last time?
Try that... wink.gif

KT
jasons
If you are interested in a C++ job and relocating to Phoenix AZ, I have an opportunity.....
Jenny
Sorry to hear about it, Dave. You don't seem too upset, which is good. Now, if we can just get you to step away from Palo Alto for a minute, maybe we can hang out sometime! wink.gif

Jen
TravisNeff
Sorry about the job, but it sounds like your commute along will have you hating your job in no-time. Have fun with your time off!
Dave_Darling
It isn't a huge surprise that I got sacked. I was very frustrated at my lack of progress, as well. There was more than one occasion that I found myself sitting at my desk, muttering "What the hell am I doing here anyway?" My heart just wasn't in it for whatever reason.

I'm kinda bummed about it, but not really that immensely upset.

--DD
Katmanken
Crap!

I'm sorry Dave!

We need to start a club....

Have a secret handshake.....

Find perfect jobs......

Ix-nay on elling-tay iles-May

Ken
MoveQik
Hmmm....just when I think a have things figgerd' out, I get all confused again. I thought Dave worked at Pelican??
Bruce Allert
Hey, look at it this way... now you can come up here, visit family, friends & go have a beer & burger wit me at da RoadHouse beerchug.gif right??? Maybe even get ya to help tear down Punkin's engine t'see what all the noise is smash.gif

....b
Allan
If ya wanna relocate to the southern San Juaquin Valley and learn a new trade c'mon down. You too could learn to be a lineman in the oil fields. wink.gif
redshift
Tell me what?

M
Twystd1
Dave,
don't really know ya except for all the stuff I have read on the forums for a couple "O" years.

So what the hell. Got a suggestion.
Do something stupid like:

"GO LIVE YOUR DREAM"

Cause it's all over in a blink of an eye.

Respectfuly,
Clayton Clark
GTeener
Bummer Dave sad.gif
At least you've got a supportive SO.

This whole Bay Area work thing is a Catch-22 for sure.

Your hours are better though laugh.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jul 5 2005, 02:51 PM)
Hmmm....just when I think a have things figgerd' out, I get all confused again. I thought Dave worked at Pelican??

He moderates the 914 board for them and shows at the swaps and shows....not a fulltimer as PP is in El Segundo CA by LAX.
fiid
IIWY, I would skip C++ and go straight for Java. If you are interested I can introduce you here - we're looking for solid engineers. It's all java though, and nothing to do with graphics, although we are doing some interesting algorithms stuff for networks.

Let me know if I can be of help. Oh - we are located in Foster City.
Lyressa Roberts
Well, that sucks, but I understand the commute thing. I'm so happy with my commute right now...nice and short.

Take some R&R and get back into the swing of things with what you REALLY want to do. biggrin.gif
Grimstead
QUOTE (fiid @ Jul 5 2005, 05:10 PM)
IIWY, I would skip C++ and go straight for Java. If you are interested I can introduce you here - we're looking for solid engineers. It's all java though, and nothing to do with graphics, although we are doing some interesting algorithms stuff for networks.

Let me know if I can be of help. Oh - we are located in Foster City.

agree.gif Java is the way to go...
Dave_Darling
Z's right. I answer emails for 'em, deal with the 914 BBS, and "show the flag" on some of the other places. (Like this one!!) I do it for fun, and for "the reeely bitchin' employee discount". It don't pay the mortgage...

Fiid, you're not the first person to suggest Java over C++. I might start poking around with that, but I have zero experience with Java. And nearly zero with C++ for that matter. (Which was one of the problems at the SF job.)

Hmm... I wonder if my copy of Visual Studio will deal with Java? If not, I bet I can download someting for XP or Linux...

Aaaaah, f--k it. I still have to figure out if that's what I wanna do.

--DD
mikelsr
Dave if you want to come back to Urbana and know C, UNIX, or X window servers, PM me, I have an opening.

Mike
lapuwali
Dave, if you don't know any OO stuff at all, then you certainly owe it to yourself to learn that if your going to stick with programming. At the very least, it makes interviewing a lot easier. It's not a language specific thing. There are general concepts that apply to a whole host of languages. Unfortunately, I can't really recommend any books that tackle it on a non-language specific basis. As stated, Java is generally easier to pick up the OO stuff that C++, which is basically a kitchen sink language (as in, they threw in everything and the...).

Hey, fiid, I thought you worked at a bank in the city. Did I dream that, or have you switched jobs? What place in Foster City? I'm mostly asking as I live in San Mateo, and could WALK to Foster City from my house.

jasons
QUOTE (Grimstead @ Jul 5 2005, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (fiid @ Jul 5 2005, 05:10 PM)
IIWY, I would skip C++ and go straight for Java.  If you are interested I can introduce you here - we're looking for solid engineers.  It's all java though, and nothing to do with graphics, although we are doing some interesting algorithms stuff for networks.

Let me know if I can be of help.  Oh - we are located in Foster City.

agree.gif Java is the way to go...

I love C++. Its kind of Zen in a way. As soon as you think you know it, the language bites you in the ass. It keeps you humble in a programming sense. You have to maintain humility and an open mind.
pokey1168
I know probably should stay in the shadows, but find you some hospital IT job blocking hackers and internal net security.......they are nuts about it right now. I know of one that won't even ;et their dept heads download their own software..it all has to go thru the IT dept.
just my .02 chatsmiley.gif
Bleyseng
Hi, and we always like double posts when your avatar looks like that.

DD, I think you should start a 914 repair shop! biggrin.gif
914werke
Dave, sorry to hear but look on the bright side....
At least you have a 914 that RUNS lol2.gif
mightyohm
Sorry to hear about your misfortune (?) Dave... I know the feeling of "is this what I really want to be doing with my life?" because I have been through the same thing more than once before. If you have the cash, I would take a break and travel a bit, do what's important to you, relax a little bit and get your mind together. I did that after I was laid off a couple years ago and it really helped a lot. I found a good job in the end and I am much happier as a result.

If you know C, C++ is not that hard to learn.
I am told Java is similar to C++ but I have no experience with it.

Maybe you can get on the TV show Mythbusters, that's my dream job. wink.gif
ematulac
Sorry to hear that Dave.

Ater having BTDT, take a moment to figure out what you really enjoy doing, and do it. I gave up IT management do become strictly a programmer. I was even able to do my own gig, working my own hours, from home, in my pajamas if felt like it. But I had to go back to a good old 9-5 when I started raising a family.

I'm finding that Java and C# are way easier to get into than C++. And I'm also finding that the jobs are a bit easier come by. One reason is that those two languages are predominantly used for business applications. C++ is used mostly by software development companies. If you choose Java/C# you will have skills sought after by companies in wide variety of sectors, versus just the Software industry.

What were you doing before the C++ gig? Was it the flight sim gig?
MecGen
Hey Dave

You ever thought about going thru a mid life crisis ?
wacko.gif
You get to do a whole bunch a stupid shit and blame the crisis mueba.gif
Quit your job, sell your busines, be a bum for a month ...2 3 4 ...
Complete total 180 deg switch..switch the god almighty trade that for some reason, our education, or upbringing of society, tells us to stay put, shut up, you can't be happy unless you are retired after working the same job for 25 years, change is good for the soul....

914 owners may be down but they are never out smilie_pokal.gif

Best wishes for you, I'll let you know how "my" crisis finishes...
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif

fiid
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jul 5 2005, 04:49 PM)
Fiid, you're not the first person to suggest Java over C++.  I might start poking around with that, but I have zero experience with Java.  And nearly zero with C++ for that matter.  (Which was one of the problems at the SF job.)

Hmm...  I wonder if my copy of Visual Studio will deal with Java?  If not, I bet I can download someting for XP or Linux...

C++ has *LOTS* of language features (READ: rope to hang yourself). Java has less, and is in a lot of ways quite simplistic in comparison. As a result, java code tends to be quite simple and readable (comparitively and when it's well written) - and getting something to run is generally quite easy. It's a modern, clean object oriented, type safe language that takes a lot of worries (esp about memory mgmt) off of the developer. I tend to worry more about threading issues than if I have bothered to free memory.

C++ can do things like smart pointers: your objects can count the number of references that other objects have to them, and when that count goes to zero - the object can automatically self-destruct. In Java - if nothing has a reference to an object, it gets garbage collected automatically next time RAM is a little tight - which isn't quite so ... uh... sexy, but works just as well in practice. People like to bash java's performance, but for a lot of operations it's really quite choppy, and for the time usually saved in development, you will usually have enough money to buy a second server for that big app to make up the difference.

That's not to say C++ is useless, or bad. Java is useless for a lot of (most - perhaps all) system level development, and when performance is paramount, Java is probably not the best choice. IMHExperience, most apps don't run into the kind of performance theshholds that necessetate that though - from what I have seen most apps are really just trying to have functionality that works.

If you want a free Java environment, I would look at Eclipse. On the commercial side: a lot of enterprise Java developers are using IntelliJ by JetBrains. You could mess around with the eval copy or try and get on their open source free licensing program (http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/opensource/opensource.html). I highly recommend IntelliJ.

If you get into Java and get stuck or have any Qs - feel free to email/pm me any time. I'm also on AIM/YIM most of the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.