Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB '71 chassis wiring harness in good condition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
IronHillRestorations
Looking for a nice '71 914-4 chassis harness. The harness in my customer's car is pretty hacked up.
T.Rick6
I have a 914-612-021-10 that's in great shape, snorkel is not dry rotted, all rubber plugs still installed, no cuts, no corrosion, been stored for 20+years, willing to trade for -6 stuff or sale if the price is comparable to condition. Todd
JeffBowlsby
Perry, you need to be specific on the 1971 harness, there was a mid year change. Early has a 12 pin connector at the steering column, late has a 14 pin connector at the steering column.
IronHillRestorations
Good catch Jeff. Do you know what the VIN change was at?
mepstein
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 9 2020, 07:25 PM) *

Perry, you need to be specific on the 1971 harness, there was a mid year change. Early has a 12 pin connector at the steering column, late has a 14 pin connector at the steering column.

That’s interesting. Was the late 71 different from a 72.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Mar 9 2020, 05:05 PM) *

Good catch Jeff. Do you know what the VIN change was at?

I wish I did, have seen no indication of that in the manuals.

Here is the DRAFT chassis harness ID guide.

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/914...nessIDGuide.pdf
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 9 2020, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 9 2020, 07:25 PM) *

That’s interesting. Was the late 71 different from a 72.

'72 is completely different. See ID Guide above for specifics on each harness.
IronHillRestorations
If you changed out the steering column cover and switches to the later style, couldn't an early car accept a later harness?
mepstein
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Mar 9 2020, 10:08 PM) *

If you changed out the steering column cover and switches to the later style, couldn't an early car accept a later harness?

I believe that’s what sir Andy did on his car. I think he said it was a lot of work.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Mar 9 2020, 07:08 PM) *

Partially correct. Review each characteristic of the later harness being considered and see if you need to make any changes.

A few examples in addition to the steering columm switches:
Ignition switch type/connection
Want the seat belt relay under the pass seat or the fasten seatbelt dash light?
Early/late door switches were different
Early/late headlight motors were different
Dash gauge selection/wiring varies with the model year
yada, yada...

914_7T3
NOS...not cheap!

Part# 914.612.018.12

https://www.aasesales.com/products/f1n-105381
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Mar 9 2020, 09:50 PM) *

NOS...not cheap!

Part# 914.612.018.12

AASE had several of these a couple of years ago and I had traded several correspondences with them. All they had at the time was the 1970-early 1971 with the 12 pin at the steering column. I suspect they misidentified this harness and indicate the wrong part number as a the later 1971 version. Anyone interested in this items should verify before buying.
IronHillRestorations
Using a later harness will also require cutting out and changing the steering column bracket, which adds more to the mix of things required
raynekat
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Mar 9 2020, 09:50 PM) *

NOS...not cheap!

Part# 914.612.018.12

I used the Aase harness in my 71 build and it fit perfectly from what I remember.
Not cheap, but my harness was beyond help.
Plus I wanted something very nice for the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.