Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter swap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
Hi all,

I was just wondering... Not knowing the internals of 911 shift mechanisms, is it possible to swap the shift lever from a 914 into an early (901 gearbox) 911? I'm asking for a friend of mine who is putting together a '69 911 from a large depository of parts, and likes the idea of a shorter throw shifter. And... I have an extra one sitting on a shelf...

Possible? Or rediculous?

-Josh2

(Saving my pennies for a rennshifter someday... someday... someday...)
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jhadler @ Jul 5 2005, 03:26 PM)
Hi all,

I was just wondering... Not knowing the internals of 911 shift mechanisms, is it possible to swap the shift lever from a 914 into an early (901 gearbox) 911? I'm asking for a friend of mine who is putting together a '69 911 from a large depository of parts, and likes the idea of a shorter throw shifter. And... I have an extra one sitting on a shelf...

Possible? Or rediculous?

-Josh2

(Saving my pennies for a rennshifter someday... someday... someday...)

If your kit is for a tail shifter, then it'll fit the 911. The Cap'n
jhadler
Linkage coupler is different fro the tailshifter? Never had a tailshifter, so I'm a little ignernt of 'em...

-Josh2
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jhadler @ Jul 5 2005, 04:25 PM)
Linkage coupler is different fro the tailshifter? Never had a tailshifter, so I'm a little ignernt of 'em...

-Josh2

Waaaayfreakinlikedifferent, dude. The Cap'n
hargray2
Tail shifter lever has a ball on the end of it that goes into a cup-bushing.

The side shift lever has an eye on the end of it that bolts to the shift rod-no bushing.

Oh, and to answer your question....

Quite possible.... Quite ridiculous. lol2.gif
jhadler
Thanks for the info!

I feel a little bit more enlightened...

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.