Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First time doing body work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thunderchief
Youtube and this website rock! I don't think I would have attempted this repair 5 or 10 years ago but doing these things myself is making this car that much more special.
Literati914
Seriously true statement.. DIY adds so much more to the experience of these cars.

Good job so far, paint it too.. and show us how it turns out.
Andyrew
Nice foundation!

What's your plan? Fill the holes?

Take it to bare metal or just go to a solid foundation, reprime and spray? What kind of paint are you looking for?

I made this DIY guide for painting a 914 in your garage. Hopefully it can help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOf3ZUrglAg

Lots of us have sprayed their cars here, and a couple are actual pros full time.
914 RZ-1
I painted my car myself, too. Make sure your neighbors are cool with what you are doing. One of mine called the HOA. All the other ones were cool with it. I also got a call from the city. You can spray up to 3 gallons a day and you're legal.

I have a thread on here about my adventures in car painting. PM me if you ever need anything.
mmichalik
Were you able to weld them up first? Can't tell by the pictures.
Thunderchief
Since this was a DIY, I used fiberglass on the backside. I'm going to sand that down too but the underside doesn't need to be perfect.
Thunderchief
Next is four small sections of fiberglass repair. I'll put that up when I finish that.
914e
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Mar 10 2020, 08:45 AM) *

I painted my car myself, too. Make sure your neighbors are cool with what you are doing. One of mine called the HOA. All the other ones were cool with it. I also got a call from the city. You can spray up to 3 gallons a day and you're legal.

I have a thread on here about my adventures in car painting. PM me if you ever need anything.

Just read the thread, that was an adventure. Three gallons a day? That is a ton of paint to be spraying, is that a city rule? My understanding is the EPA allows hobbyists to paint 2 cars a year.
Thunderchief
Btw, Andyrew, I watch all of your videos. Keep up the good work buddy.
Andyrew
Thanks for the support!

Anything I can help with just ask.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.