Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Pink Floyd Reunited?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I heard something about Pink Floyd being reunited for the Live 8 concert? Did anyone get to see this? Driving my 914 with Pink Floyd brings back some memories. Can we expect an album?
MarkG
Roger Waters did re-join for the Live8; co-worker saw some of their concert on MTV or something - said it was awsome.

We can but hope this means a reunion and a tour........
Dead Air
I think they'll do an album. Hopefully something like "Animals"
Their show for "live8" was great! Like they never stopped playing.
grantsfo
Oh so true. When my car had a stereo the glovebox contained 3 awesome bootleg recordings of PF concerts from late 60's and early 70's.
Eddie Williams
Didn't see it live on TV, but saw replays of it, not bad. Roger Waters and David GIlmour are showing their age. I seriously doubt an album would come out of it.

drew365
Pink Floyd is one of my favorite groups. I saw them live in 1968 at a small college campus in Cleveland and have been a fan ever since. The film Live at Pompeii is unbelievable.
Having said that, I thought Roger Waters voice sounded pretty bad on the one Live 8 song I heard. I really doubt we'll ever get a new Floyd album with Roger Waters. I wouldn't bet against a few select concert dates, but I don't think they mended the fences enough to do an album.
Lou W
I saw the Wall concert in LA, it was fantastic. I heard that they were only going to get something like ten minutes (Two Songs) at the Live 8 show. Also heard that they are going to do a limited amount of concerts this year. smile.gif
Gary#
Not bad for a bunch of "fossils" aktion035.gif rolleyes.gif
Try this link - worked 4 me:
> http://yee.is-useless.org/Live%208%20-%20P...20(webcast).wmv
beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
pre darkside of the moon release tour. fall 1972? i was an E-2 home on leave before heading to germany. best ever concert. played dsotm start to end.

k
phantom914
So...which one's Pink? wink.gif

Andrew
phantom914
QUOTE (drew365 @ Jul 5 2005, 04:17 PM)
Pink Floyd is one of my favorite groups. I saw them live in 1968 at a small college campus in Cleveland and have been a fan ever since. The film Live at Pompeii is unbelievable.
Having said that, I thought Roger Waters voice sounded pretty bad on the one Live 8 song I heard. I really doubt we'll ever get a new Floyd album with Roger Waters. I wouldn't bet against a few select concert dates, but I don't think they mended the fences enough to do an album.

Yeah. If Water's voice matched his ego, it would be great.
Never could handle his solo stuff. ( Remember "Pros and cons of hitchiking"?)
I think he and Floyd both were better off with eachother.

Gilmour sounded pretty good though.

Andrew
Jake Raby
Bet you guys didn't know that the old drummer for Floyd owned a Jake engine, did ya??

I sold a 2500 to a guy building a 356 Panamerica replica for him a few years ago. I don't know if he ever raced it or not- never heard from him again.

He raced in the La Carrera Panamerica back in the 90s in an old Jag replica and one of my other customers in Atlanta owns that very car with his name right on the driver's side....
Brent
Just heard live8 bootleg CD's were available on Ebay, but have been pulled off. The Pink Floyd performance was shown on both MTV and VH1. Did you also catch The Who and McCartney.

neo914-6
The Animals tour in the late 70's was the best visual concert I've ever seen...despite the chemical enhancement. laugh.gif

How'd they make those floating pigs disappear?
CptTripps
I don't think it's a long-term thing...

...from he Pink Floyd website...

user posted image
thomasotten
By Dave's comment about America, I wonder if Dave Gilmour knows that President Bush granted more aid to Africa than any other president in our history.

I generally liked Roger's solo work, although it did have some weak points. He is just so far left, that it is hard to tolerate some of the songs on "Amused to Death". And he has gotten worse: On his website are a couple of MP3's of some new songs he is working on: If I remember correctly, one of them has lyrics like "that Texas education must have f**ked you up real good", in reference to G.W. Bush.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread political, so let me just say I like the band, but they were better when Roger's lyrics weren't so direct. And, Pink Floyd without R. Waters is lacking as well, no depth to the lyrics.
rhodyguy
well this won't be political so it should pass the litmus test.

every time some some rocker, or movie star that lives in a castle, has other homes around the world, private jets, has an official residence in a tax friendly country, and starts spouting off about how WE need to do more for the world i want to barf.gif headbang.gif . let them divest themselves of their worldly goods, move to the suburbs, drive a kia, and do their own laundry.

water's radio waves was pretty good.

k
CptTripps
I generally agree...but Bob Geldof, Bono, and a few others REALLY walk the walk. I read that Bono has donated more tha any single person to the cause over the last 4-5 years. I guess he lives off of the money he's had, and has given almost 100% of whatever he's made on the last 3 albums to his work in Africa.

I've been studying this a lot of late...mostly because of my curiosity from the Live 8 concerts. There is a *LOT* more than can be done. I could give 2 shits what W has donated in the past, there needs to be more done. We are still behind juggernaut countries like Sweden, Australia, and Italy in aid money. The US promised 100mil to the cause in the last 6 years. That's pathetic if you ask me.

But it's not just out job, the other leaders need to step up to the plate as well. this problem is SO solvable...makes a lot of the other BS we bicker about so trivial.

Couple of other quick stats and I'll get off my soap box.

It costs $20US to send an african student to school for 1 year with uniform. That student will be VERY likely to have a 100% attendance record, and go on to secondary education like college.

A 1yr supply of the HIV drugs that student (or adult) needs is $50. They have nearly 100% success with the person taking the medication correctly. In the US, the same drugs cost over $200 a month, and the failure rate on taking the drugs is lower than 60%.

ok, back to work...
rhodyguy
if anyone hasn't done so, i suggest you read COLLAPSE by Jared Diamond. it helped me see the issues in countries like Sudan and other ones with great clarity. the documented failures and the future of impending doom is not very heartening.

do you think when someone such as angelina jolie goes to africa to enlighten us to the plight of the of the people, she drinks river water and sleeps without the benefit insect netting? i think not. nor does geldorf live on the dole in a dublin squat.

k

k
thomasotten
I read somewhere that each "artist" performing at the Live 8 concert recieved a $12,000 care package. screwy.gif
phantom914
Does any one know how much privately donated money the US sends to Africa? I thought I heard that the US is way up there compared to other countries as far as citizens' contributions, not official government contributions.

Andrew
redshift
Here we go..

Why would I hand out money, to despot criminal assholes, so they can pump up their volume?

I am sick of dickheads in the World, and damned tired of paying to build a better dickhead.

M
ClayPerrine
This thread is moving dangerously close to politics.

I don't want to lock the thread..... I like Pink Floyd! sad.gif
rhodyguy
AHA!!! the mystery deleter. wink.gif shine on you crazy diamond.

k
ClayPerrine
I normally don't delete threads. I just lock them so y'all know where they went, and I normally post a comment before locking them.

Oh.... Betty gets upset with me when I make jokes about Pigs on the Wing when I have to put the Corvette on the lift....... lol2.gif
redshift
In Jesse Jackson voice:

there is no pain

you are receding

a distant ship's

smoke

on the horizon

You are

only coming

through in waves

your lips move

but I can't hear

what you're sayin'

When I

was a child

I had a fever

My hands

felt just like two

balloons

Now I

got that feeling

once again

I can't explain

you would

not understand

This is

not

how I am

I

have

become

comfortably numb
CptTripps
lol2.gif

thanks...I needed that.
thomasotten
The best Pink Floyd albums in order:

The Wall
Dark Side
Final Cut
Animals
Shine on (or whatever it's called)
Meddle

I think the early stuff with Syd is hardly worth all the trubutes to Syd that they always mention when in concert. The best stuff is the conceptual stuff that Waters did when the band was in it's best form (I say that even though I disagree with much of Water's conclusions and viewpoints from the big concept albums).
Jakester
QUOTE (thomasotten @ Jul 6 2005, 07:27 AM)
I read somewhere that each "artist" performing at the Live 8 concert recieved a $12,000 care package. screwy.gif

Gives new meaning to the phrase

"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"

Serious PF fans will understand...
Dead Air
QUOTE (thomasotten @ Jul 6 2005, 08:29 AM)
The best Pink Floyd albums in order:

The Wall
Dark Side
Final Cut
Animals
Shine on (or whatever it's called)
Meddle

QUOTE]

"wish you were Here"
redshift
QUOTE (Jakester @ Jul 6 2005, 12:43 PM)

Serious PF fans will understand...

The mem'ries of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

Yuck!

M
Dead Air
Dogs...

"You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to...
So when they turn their backs on you,
You'll have the chance to put the knife in...

Deaf, dumb and blind. You just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable and no one has a real friend.
It seems toyou the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
And everything's done under the sun
And you belive at heart everyone's a Killer..."

Political? Sounds alot like reality to me!
Brent
Back on thread: Live8 performances available on AOL. I hate AOL, but at least they have a video ready to view.
-B
rhodyguy
how about Atom Heart Mother rolleyes.gif ? Relics(?) icon8.gif . careful with that axe eugene wink.gif . i've got a saucer full of secrets.

k
thomasotten
One of the best rendisions of "Dogs" can be found on the Roger Waters live CD, "In the Flesh". I went to that concert, by the way.
drew365
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 7 2005, 06:41 AM)
how about Atom Heart Mother rolleyes.gif ? Relics(?) icon8.gif . careful with that axe eugene wink.gif . i've got a saucer full of secrets.

k

Allen's Pyschedelic Breakfast. It always cracks me up to think of the conversation a couple of record executives might have had before releasing that track:

Say JD, what do think of this song, Allen's Pyschedelic Breakfast?
I don't know DJ, it's kind of hard to dance to. wacko.gif
Brent
If anyone wants a copy of the performance and is going to the V8 meet at Hooters in Dublin, I may be able to help you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.