Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found a LE Bumblebee
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MrLeeS
Hi all, I’ve found an LE for sale and and contemplating buying it. I have 2 914s as it is, but neither is original, 1 is a straight track car and the other is a big displacement turbo car with lots of mods. I would like to make sure the investment in an original car is worth it. I’ve checked the VIN against the registry and it is registered. Not a spot of rust anywhere, My concern is that it has 1.8 heads and SDS injection, a spoiler on the rear and a respray with some hail damage on the front hood. Assuming the rest of the motor is not original to the car, is a decent running (the SDS will be ditched for Webers if I buy it) driving LE with these flaws worth the 12k asked? Or should I treat it as a regular 914? I doubt I’d pay more than 7k for it as it sits as a regular 74.

Thanks

Click to view attachment
iankarr
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

12K for a solid, running bumblebee (even without the original engine) sounds like a deal. The "investment" value is more about what your plans are for the car. If you did a concours restoration with NOS parts, 75K wouldn't be a suprising valuation. Just my opinion...and not factoring in the craziness of our times. YMMV....
mepstein
If you buy it for $12k and you invest $50K, it could be a $40k car. That’s how it works. If you could make money from restorations, shops would buy and build them on spec.
Buy it if owning one is your passion. Don’t buy it as any kind of investment.

Big Len
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 10 2020, 07:37 PM) *

If you buy it for $12k and you invest $50K, it could be a $40k car. That’s how it works. If you could make money from restorations, shops would buy and build them on spec.
Buy it if owning one is your passion. Don’t buy it as any kind of investment.

What he said...
MrLeeS
Everything is an investment at some level. I appreciate the input. I’ll try and get some pics to post. And if I don’t buy it I’ll pass it along here. The seller is looking to clear up some space and would appreciate the added interest.
JeffBowlsby
The engine runs well you say. Given the choice between SDS and carbs, the SDS is your best bet considering the fussiness factor of carbs, originality, reliability and resale value. SDS is a good system if the DJet does not work out for you.
VaccaRabite
1) Why on earth would you ditch SDS for Webers???? Its not like Webers are OEM to a bumblebee.

2) If it is a running 914 that is really not rusty, its worth the asking price and probably undervalued if it is an LE car. But you will never get top investment dollar for a Bee with a 1.8 and running anything other then 2.0 DJET injection. Please don't let carbs get into the conversation with this car. If you are more concerned with future money then having a fun car now, you are going to need to do some work.

Zach

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.