Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Tin Gap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rikyrat
Hi All:

I just got done reinstalling my engine, and have replaced all of the engine bay seals.
I seem to have a gap, about a 1/2 inch on the sides and front of the engine.
I don't think this is normal, but can't figure out how to adjust it out.
I have replace both the front and rear motor mounts.
Anybody else run into this problem, and how did you correct it.

Thanks in advance
IronHillRestorations
The engine tin seals have a lip that should hook over the lip of the engine tin, and the front corners should be miter cut and have a hog ring at the lower bottom. The seal for the back should have two flaps that sandwich the rear engine tin.

Years ago I installed an engine a little to one side, and here's what I did: loosen up the outer engine bar bolts and the transmission mounts just enough to allow you to lever the power plant in the direction you need. Sometimes it takes two people, one to push and the other to tighten a bolt when you get it positioned
BeatNavy
I first had that issue when I replaced my original 1.7 with a 2056. New engine bay seals, tin seemed to be in good shape, but I had gaps on side and near front. I found I could reduce the gap somewhat by trying to shift the engine forward a bit, but it was still there. Then I did, as some others, by using hog rings to secure the rubber seals at the corners. That helped some, but its still not perfect. I have no issues with cooling, however.
Amphicar770
1/2" seems like a lot?

I did have gaps on one side when I replaced my seals. I used some 3m rubber trim adhesive on that section and it seems to have held.
SirAndy
Post some pics ...
idea.gif
wes
I had the same problem, I adjusted it but still can see a miner bit of light at the upper corners. All new seals but it’s often been on my mind as not perfect for cooling. Also are the holes in photo supposed to be open or plugged? Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
QUOTE(wes @ Mar 11 2020, 12:07 PM) *

I had the same problem, I adjusted it but still can see a miner bit of light at the upper corners. All new seals but it’s often been on my mind as not perfect for cooling. Also are the holes in photo supposed to be open or plugged? Click to view attachment

I think that hole is suppose for the battery cable goin to the alternator
Rikyrat
I am such a dork, no it was not 1/2" more like 1/4" inch.
I followed the suggestion that said the seal have a lip around them, and put the lip on the engine tins. Guess what? it worked, no more light around the engine.
I guess that I panicked a little seeing the light around the engine, had the work lamp under the car. Of course there is going to be a gap, otherwise, dummy, you could not get the engine in.

so thanks all for replying.
Onward thru the fog, all I have to do now is get my Dub shop injection system wired up and I will be down the road
Mikey914
I did notice many unmolested car I have see there are hog rings in the corners. I suspect that may be a factory install?
Jamie
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 12 2020, 04:13 PM) *

I did notice many unmolested car I have see there are hog rings in the corners. I suspect that may be a factory install?

Could someone enlighten me with a photo about these "hog ring" things you mention?
wes
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 12 2020, 04:13 PM) *

Hog rings? Ah are you referring to my photo?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.