Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice looking stainless steel muffler for 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
Just saw this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3FE-rqrmpo
Superhawk996
I'd be curious how they really get built and what @mb911 thinks.

I didn't see any setup to backpurge. I had been taught that backpurge was always required to weld stainless.

Also love the "welder" with the bandana mask for some sort of protection (maybe just to be cool or dont' want to be ID'd on camera) that appears to be tack welding welding without a welding helmet to protect from UV flash. confused24.gif

Overall looks nice in the video but made in Taiwan. I'll still be going to Ben though -- buy local!
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 14 2020, 06:06 AM) *

I didn't see any setup to backpurge. I had been taught that backpurge was always required to weld stainless.

Also love the "welder" with the bandana mask for some sort of protection (maybe just to be cool or dont' want to be ID'd on camera) that appears to be tack welding welding without a welding helmet to protect from UV flash. confused24.gif

Overall looks nice in the video but made in Taiwan. I'll still be going to Ben though -- buy local!

I saw it as well.. I wonder what the cost is. Either way not sure they are all they are cracked up to be.. And safety? What safety..
KSCarrera
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 14 2020, 04:36 PM) *

I saw it as well.. I wonder what the cost is. Either way not sure they are all they are cracked up to be.. And safety? What safety..

I'm guessing you've not seen Vintage Speed's work first hand? I had a system on my 912/6 hot-rod and it was the most accurately fitting system I or the workshop had seen. No levering to get bolt holes and flanges to line up. The quality of fabrication is first class.

I currently have a Dansk sport muffler fitted to a set of SSIs and hate the Dansk's appearance and sound, so approached Vintage Speed about building a muffler to replace the Dansk. As soon as it arrives, I'll report back regarding sound levels and bhp/torque... It's the muffler which MT is holding in his arms at the start of the video. No idea of pricing as yet.

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Much of the world cares much less about worker safety than the USA and Germany do, and that’s always reflected in the price.
mb911
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Mar 14 2020, 08:05 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 14 2020, 04:36 PM) *

I'm guessing you've not seen Vintage Speed's work first hand? I had a system on my 912/6 hot-rod and it was the most accurately fitting system I or the workshop had seen. No levering to get bolt holes and flanges to line up. The quality of fabrication is first class.

I currently have a Dansk sport muffler fitted to a set of SSIs and hate the Dansk's appearance and sound, so approached Vintage Speed about building a muffler to replace the Dansk. As soon as it arrives, I'll report back regarding sound levels and bhp/torque... It's the muffler which MT is holding in his arms at the start of the video. No idea of pricing as yet.

Click to view attachment

I am guessing you may not have seen my work first hand?.. I just ask only because I hold the highest standard in regards to my products..

I just don't care for poor safety practices..
KSCarrera
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 14 2020, 05:27 PM) *

I am guessing you may not have seen my work first hand?.. I just ask only because I hold the highest standard in regards to my products..

You did comment "Either way not sure they are all they are cracked up to be" and wondered how you had reached that conclusion not having seen one. On the other hand, I didn't say anything about your systems, as far as I can see. Sadly I have no personal experience with them as I haven't seen any over here on this side of the pond as far as I am aware. Do you have an agent? If so, tell him to get in touch. I have had experience with the Vintage Speed systems (and other products, such as their VW gear shifts) and found no fault with them. But that doesn't mean to say there aren't other great systems around – like yours. drunk.gif
mb911
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Mar 14 2020, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 14 2020, 05:27 PM) *

You did comment "Either way not sure they are all they are cracked up to be" and wondered how you had reached that conclusion not having seen one. On the other hand, I didn't say anything about your systems, as far as I can see. Sadly I have no personal experience with them as I haven't seen any over here on this side of the pond as far as I am aware. Do you have an agent? If so, tell him to get in touch. I have had experience with the Vintage Speed systems (and other products, such as their VW gear shifts) and found no fault with them. But that doesn't mean to say there aren't other great systems around – like yours. drunk.gif

Its all good.. Been building porsche only exhaust for 20 years and aviation exhaust prior.. I don't have any agents in Europe.. People buy direct from me.. No haven't seen one in person but after building allot of systems (several thousand) I see little things.. Back purging concerns me for sure.. I do know there are other folks that make nice stuff no doubt.. I just really get skeptical of products.. Had many experiences refitting B&B , OBX, GHL, TT , etc .. I am sure it will be just fine.. We sometimes over think these things.. Most stainless systems will last longer then we will own the car's..

ValcoOscar
Nice video..thanks for sharing.

I am not a stakeholder in either operation, but BEN is one of us.
Stand up guy!!! grouphug.gif jsharp.gif beerchug.gif

Oscar
914werke
Taiwan, manufactured, CA distribution for the US - Ron Lumus Racing? T1 focus. No option for the 914.
rhodyguy
I just figured the T4 would be priced similar to the 911 applications. I'm uninformed about the 'purging'. Could someone explain it to me?
KSCarrera
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 14 2020, 07:37 PM) *

No option for the 914.

Mine is the first 914 application they've done. I'm as intrigued as anyone to see how it works out. If it doesn't, off it comes – maybe then try one of Ben's... If so, that would make the fourth system on the car in one year! av-943.gif
bandjoey
lots of spot welding with a face mask just held up by hand...then robotic welding for the main welds. Wonder how long people work there before going blind?
several Youtube showing complete muffler build.
914werke
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Mar 14 2020, 12:01 PM) *
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 14 2020, 07:37 PM) *
No option for the 914.
Mine is the first 914 application they've done. I'm as intrigued as anyone to see how it works out. If it doesn't, off it comes – maybe then try one of Ben's... If so, that would make the fourth system on the car in one year! av-943.gif

How much $ (USD) ?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 14 2020, 03:30 PM) *

lots of spot welding with a face mask just held up by hand...then robotic welding for the main welds. Wonder how long people work there before going blind?
several Youtube showing complete muffler build.

I doubt the main welds are robotic for the following reasons but could be wrong.

Plus the premise of one of their other video's is "handmade". https://www.vintagespeed.com.tw/media

1) Judging by the scale of their operation in video they don't have the kind of capital needed for robotics.

2) TIG Welding as a welding process doesn't lend it self to robotic welding easily. MIG - Yes. Laser welding - Yes. TIG - not so much.

3) The complexity of the muffler parts and the assoiated welds would require lots of robot programing and time to get the welds right. Round tubes. Maybe. Mufflers, doubt it. Would only make sense for a high volume operation.

Personally, I'm trusting the tack welders close their eyes when they tack and then the tacked parts move off to some other area for final welding. Someone would have to have a proper welding helmet. You can't make puddles that nice without one. Heck! I can't make puddles that nice with one!
Mike D.
Safety aside...
I have one on my '73 bus with 2056 engine and I love it. Great sound not overly loud, good low end torque. I bought it to go on my T4 converted Type3 fastback but put here instead. I only paid $450 but that was at the OCTO swap meet. It's normally $500. I may just get another in the future for the T3.
FWIW, They had a booth at the 356/912 Phoenix Club Event a couple of weeks ago in Anaheim.
911GT2
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Mar 14 2020, 12:47 PM) *

Safety aside...
I have one on my '73 bus with 2056 engine and I love it. Great sound not overly loud, good low end torque. I bought it to go on my T4 converted Type3 fastback but put here instead. I only paid $450 but that was at the OCTO swap meet. It's normally $500. I may just get another in the future for the T3.
FWIW, They had a booth at the 356/912 Phoenix Club Event a couple of weeks ago in Anaheim.

agree.gif

I run one on mij 1915CC T2a
I find the quality quite good!
Click to view attachment

I Understand the 'buy local' principle but in the EU we don't make things anymore, only bankers and IT people here dry.gif confused24.gif So not to worried about that.
bandjoey
Robots and 12 minutes for a complete build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdxKGs-Rfk

Mark Henry
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Mar 14 2020, 05:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@911GT2

How's the noise level?
I need a performance muffler for my '67 bus (2007cc), but I want to get rid of the drone.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 14 2020, 09:19 PM) *

Robots and 12 minutes for a complete build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdxKGs-Rfk

beerchug.gif

WOW! I stand corrected. Crow tastes yummy! chowtime.gif

Global market for stainless VW parts must be much larger than I would have thought!

Craigers17
From what I've seen, there are several member vendors here that make very high quality mufflers and/or exhaust systems...I dig 'em all!

That said, if you watch some of his videos, it's pretty hard to hate on this Vintage Speed guy. We've already gotten feedback that he offers top notch products. Aesthetically, his stuff looks pretty damn good....check out his Bomber Seat....that thing's a piece of artwork.

Moreover:

He seems to have a passion for everything aircooled.

He has a very impressive collection of bugs, vans, and Porsches.

He has created his own business through hard work, meticulous detail, and a decent system. All admirable characteristics.

....seems like a likable character too.

...as far as safety standards go, I'm sure he's adhering to the acceptable standards within his own country. Personally, I'm tired of having to build a scaffold with hand rails nowadays in order to change a light bulb that I could easily access from the 3rd step of a ladder. If you don't understand my last comment, try actually "getting anything done" at most modern job sites.
911GT2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 14 2020, 05:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@911GT2

How's the noise level?
I need a performance muffler for my '67 bus (2007cc), but I want to get rid of the drone.

I'd say doable. Is it quiet? No! But you need the flow so what are you going to do. But there are far louder exhausts out there.
Also I coated the entire rear end with dynamat to keep the noise down. But in the end it's still a largo boombox. Especially in a 67 since you're missing the firewall between the tank and engine.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Mar 15 2020, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 14 2020, 05:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@911GT2

How's the noise level?

I'd say doable. Is it quiet? No! But you need the flow so what are you going to do. But there are far louder exhausts out there.
Also I coated the entire rear end with dynamat to keep the noise down. But in the end it's still a largo boombox. Especially in a 67 since you're missing the firewall between the tank and engine.

My twin weber, 2007cc has a cheap bugpack header and single QP muffler. It has stock size valves so I can use the heater boxes.

It's not that it's loud, it's the interior drone on long trips. It's fully dynamat x2 layers, IMHO it didn't do much. The foam bed and bedding does way more than the dynamat. Never thought about the lack of a divider between the tank and engine, I'll look at making some kind of divider.
80’s old school
Vintage Speed stuff is well known in the VW world.

I want one BAD for my Karmann Ghia.

Watch some of his videos. Good stuff here.
1adam12
Vintage Speed had a booth at Phoenix Club last year not sure if they attended the most recent one. Back then they were featuring some nice carb accessories and some 911 specific applications.
pete000
I was using their system on my Vanagon, nice welds for sure, the tubing seems thin compared to stuff made over here. Shipping is a bit steep due to the distance and customs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.