Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john grier
I want to get my brothers 74 2.0 back on the road again.
He says it needs pistons as it has been sitting for a few years and has locked up. Or that he does not want to start it and damage the sleeves.
I am not a mech.
A'm I asking the right questions?
I told him to stay with 94 but he wants to go with 96 maybe.
IT is and will stay fi.
Thanks John
nebreitling
if it has locked up then it may well need more than pistons.

but during the engine rebuild (yup!), 96's will be great. still very reliable, plus more power.
john grier
Any other mod's need to be done to make it work?
nebreitling
nope. just bore your cyl's to the pistons. no need to clearance the case or heads or anything.
john grier
Ok that said and done where is it that I can get these for a good price?
nebreitling
usual suspects: jake raby, pelican, gpr, midwest, hph, AA

all ought to have 'em or be able to get 'em.
Tom Perso
Make sure you use your old 94's and have them bored - they are already heat cycled and much better quality than the new 96's.

If you send them to Jake, he'll bore them the right way and match them up to a set of pistons with rings. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Jake's 96mm P/C kit from OEM German Cylinders

Tom
Jake Raby
What Tom said...
BUT if they had a seizure and/or water damage those cores may be rendered useless to me..

Finding good cores is getting very difficult. I end up tossing almost 40% of the ones I score these days.

The price is going up on these bored sets very soon guys- Its so much extra work and the cost of the boring hones and etc is increasing on me.

It may get to the point that I only have the econo sets available without the purchase of a full engine..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.