Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the factory finish on Pedrini Wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
78PanamaBrown
I have a set of 4 Pedrini Alloy wheels I'd like to bring back to factory finish. They are original now, but there are a few spots where corrosion has created some dark gray areas on an otherwise perfect wheel. It looks like the factory finish was to maybe some kind of hard anodized finish, but it could just be bare aluminum. If it is just bare aluminum, I'm thinking that bead blasting would be the best way to bring them back to factory condition. Any thoughts?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
porsche (or mercedes) silver PAINT

QUOTE(78PanamaBrown @ Mar 14 2020, 09:34 AM) *

I have a set of 4 Pedrini Alloy wheels I'd like to bring back to factory finish. They are original now, but there are a few spots where corrosion has created some dark gray areas on an otherwise perfect wheel. It looks like the factory finish was to maybe some kind of hard anodized finish, but it could just be bare aluminum. If it is just bare aluminum, I'm thinking that bead blasting would be the best way to bring them back to factory condition. Any thoughts?

78PanamaBrown
Hmmmm. The Silver paint does look good, but none of the wheels I have are painted. They appear to be "as cast" with maybe a little machining to the rim and hub, but that's it. I just lightly bead blasted a bunch of them, and they look brand new now, so I'm trying to decide now whether to paint silver, Powder coat silver, clear coat, anodize, or just run them as is. I think these wheels look awesome finished in any of these methods. For that matter, I've seen several Pedrinis painted to match the car color, or even a custom 2 tone treatment. Since there are so many options, I'm not sure if anybody really knows what the "factory finish" was, so that's why I asked. During my research of the "factory finish" I also found out there are 2 different styles of Pedrini wheels, so I put together the attached image to show the difference, in case anybody else runs into this.Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Definitely not anodized. Will be curious to know if they were painted silver.

The Pedrinis delivered on my very early 1973 appeared to be painted black with "raw" aluminum details and lips, though the mystery over whether that was a factory finish lives on.
Chris914n6
Definitely not bare. It would discolor and corrode in short time. Anodized would be traditional if not painted or clear coat.
BK911
Not sure of factory finish, but I blasted and clear powder coated mine.
Imo they turned out AWESOME!!
Pics here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=Pedrini*
I will try to get one of them on the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.