Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEWBIE!!!!!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pokey1168
OK guys I am admittedly one of the newest to the group... and damn proud of it.......Sorry it was the Texan in me sneaking out.....I just wanted to throw out some introductions for all, and start getting in the group. 'Cuz let's face it I am going to pick the collective brains for my project and give where I can. aktion035.gif
GWN7
Well Hello and welcome beerchug.gif

Tell us about your car and post some pictures of it.
redshift
We gave at the orifice.

Miles
pokey1168
The car......ah, right ........OHMIGOD is this going to a project ....it was driven into a field in Okla. somewhere and parked, some time around 1987. It has played host to a BIG family of rats over the years that has made the rewiring job a daunting task to say the least. I have definitely bitten off a mouthful on this one. I have been nicknamed the "resurrector" by my bro because of the projects I have ended up with and gotten up and running after they were deemed DOR (dead on the road). I will try to get some pics posted in a few mins. just to give everyone a reason to love their teener a bit more. welder.gif
MoveQik
Welcome. Now let's see some pics! beerchug.gif
pokey1168
body from the longs up is pretty straight.....no big rust or dents
pokey1168
now for the really bad......those with weak constitutions may need to step outside
pokey1168
it just keeps getting worse
pokey1168
HOLY COW WHAT WAS I THINKING
qa1142
Welcome to team Miller matic welder.gif

Hope the avitar is a picture of you

happy11.gif
pokey1168
no such luck I wish I knew who she was...........WUFF!

I have a funny feeling I will get LOTS of pratice with the mig before this is done
pokey1168
other than getting out while I can, any fun advice for the newbie?
pokey1168
here is another fun one
Lyressa Roberts
Welcome aboard!!! One bit of advice: "Don't lurk!" Actually, I don't mind lurkers as I never see them, but some people have a hay day... laugh.gif

You really need to get to know these guys. We have a great group of people. Many who know their stuff and then those like me who are just bored and ask the simple questions. biggrin.gif
qa1142
There are good tubs in Texas. I almost got one in E-bay in primer for $500. That is way to go if you can find one...
davep
Restore it to the original blue, it appears to be L50E Adriatic Blue, very nice.
I wouldn't worry so much about the floor and longs. What does the hell-hole look like. The whole area under the battery tray is the critical part, especially the inner suspension pickup. If that is okay, the rest is (almost) a piece of cake.
mack914
I think you have a better chance of hookin' up with the girl in your avitar than you do of bring that 914 back to life. sheeplove.gif bootyshake.gif chatsmiley.gif
spare time toys
Welcome to the gang. Get that jewel inside quick. looking at the radar you got some big boomers headed your way. If you are down in DFW on the 15 or 16th we are getting together to eat, drink, and BS first rounds on you beerchug.gif its sorta a double secret initiatuion thing lol2.gif lol2.gif
pokey1168
I think she'll live again........there's no sag to her even with the top off, the windows up and my # 210 in the car one either side. The doors still swing open and closed with no drag, so I think she has a pretty strong spine. The battery tray is going to go and the froward well. .......It'll take some welding but I think she'll survive it.
pokey1168
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jul 5 2005, 09:30 PM)
Welcome to the gang. Get that jewel inside quick. looking at the radar you got some big boomers headed your way. If you are down in DFW on the 15 or 16th we are getting together to eat, drink, and BS first rounds on you beerchug.gif its sorta a double secret initiatuion thing lol2.gif lol2.gif

I may try it, it is the only weekend this month I am not on call for the hospital
pokey1168
looks like the wet stuff might head this way again tonight. mad.gif
redshift
I saw one like that in Truk Lagoon... blink.gif

Modern man doesn't need rain, rain is spiteful.. God! Please stop all rain!!! pray.gif

(think it'll work?)

sad.gif

M
Bleyseng
bondo is your friend.....

nah, get all the pieces and weld them in. Lots of new rustproofing and she be as good as new.

wink.gif
pokey1168
thanks for the support Lord knows I'll need more of it before it is all over.
pokey1168
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 5 2005, 09:46 PM)
I saw one like that in Truk Lagoon... blink.gif

AWW now I'm sure the one in Truk wasn't that bad.........I always wanted to dive Truk
pokey1168
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jul 5 2005, 09:30 PM)
If you are down in DFW on the 15 or 16th we are getting together to eat, drink, and BS first rounds on you beerchug.gif its sorta a double secret initiatuion thing lol2.gif lol2.gif

Is pappa's going to be the designated site? Or has everyone decided yet?
Allan
wavey.gif Good luck and post lots of pics.......
pokey1168
from the looks of it I may have to just plan to do a progress series
rick 918-S
monkeydance.gif wavey.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
pokey1168
I am not so sure there will be that many smiles
GWN7
Smilies come after the work is done. wink.gif biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
Welcome.
If you need anything, holler. I have been dealing with these cars for about 20 years now (God, I feel old!!!!), and I am here in the DFW area.

BTW.. I have seen worse in the floorpans.
tat2dphreak
Welcome!

I went to school out in West TX... liked it, except for being away from everything else...

step 1: pull the rocker panels and attack with a screwdriver or icepick... if it's 90% solid, then the floor pans can be saved fairly easily... I would vote on replacing the whole damn floor though... there are full reproductions available... if you have center tunnel rust that may be a different story...

if the longs are crusty, find another tub... I had to find another tub a couple years ago...
jr91472
welcome......

where is Pampa? confused24.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Jul 6 2005, 10:53 AM)
welcome......

near amarillo...
ClayPerrine
Long way to come for Dinner.

Why don't you come to the MUSR over Labor Day Weekend? It's gonna be in Granbury.... 4 days of 914 nirvana!!!
pokey1168
the longs only have two very small holes near the front(dime size) and seem to be pretty solid other than that....the tunnel is rusted through at the back on top and sides but doesn't look to include the clutch tube or the like, it will definitely take some metal work to get it solid. I am more than a little nervous about the back of the tunnel where it meets the firewall though. I know it is rusted but I am not sure how I need to procede I can get the whole floor pan set except for the tunnel. AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGH why in the heck did it have to rust there....Ok I'm better now......
ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
pokey1168
welcome......

it is about 60 miles northeast of Amarillo.....if you find the dead center of the Tx panhandle on the map we're just to the right....BTW the rust bucket ressurrection came from just north of you.

I bought it from a guy in Mckinney, and by the time we followed him out to the boonies to pick her up we were just about 10 miles south of Sherman
pokey1168
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 6 2005, 10:58 AM)

Why don't you come to the MUSR over Labor Day Weekend? It's gonna be in Granbury.... 4 days of 914 nirvana!!!

I am trying to swing MUSR even though I would have to bring another girl (a 911) to the ball.......I may be on call that weekend......I have managed to catch every other holiday this year mad.gif ........and I know I am not on call the 15 or 16
pokey1168
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 6 2005, 10:55 AM)
welcome......

near amarillo...

I am surprised anyone even knew where Amarillo was. ( thank God for I-40 ) Where did you go to school up here?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (pokey1168 @ Jul 6 2005, 02:39 PM)

Why don't you come to the MUSR over Labor Day Weekend?  It's gonna be in Granbury.... 4 days of 914 nirvana!!!

I am trying to swing MUSR even though I would have to bring another girl (a 911) to the ball.......I may be on call that weekend......I have managed to catch every other holiday this year mad.gif ........and I know I am not on call the 15 or 16

bring the avatar girl! w00t.gif she looks to be more fun than a taildragger anyway smile.gif

pokey1168
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 6 2005, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (pokey1168 @ Jul 6 2005, 02:39 PM)

Why don't you come to the MUSR over Labor Day Weekend?  It's gonna be in Granbury.... 4 days of 914 nirvana!!!

bring the avatar girl! w00t.gif she looks to be more fun than a taildragger anyway smile.gif

I wish!... but I am pretty sure the Mrs would object abit... About .45 caliber of an objection
ClayPerrine
Bring the taildragger. We let anyone come on the tours, but anyone that is NOT driving a 914 has to go to the back of the line (we don't want to be held up by slower cars in front of us biggrin.gif ).

Bring the Wife too... Betty and I will have 2 914s there, so we will have open seats if you don't want to drive the taildragger.

tat2dphreak
yup, tool wenches are allowed! mine's joining us friday night or saturday
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 6 2005, 01:57 PM)

Allowed? Are you TRYING to get me sleeping on the couch tonight? sad.gif

You are encouraged to bring your wife, daughter, avatar girl, whatever.... We try to make it fun for everyone! mueba.gif

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 6 2005, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 6 2005, 01:57 PM)

Allowed? Are you TRYING to get me sleeping on the couch tonight? sad.gif

You are encouraged to bring your wife, daughter, avatar girl, whatever.... We try to make it fun for everyone! mueba.gif

Sorry Clay, I didn't mean it like that... I had to talk my wife into coming... she was afraid it would be a bunch of guys just sitting around looking at each other's cars...
pokey1168
After I just went and spent $125 on a set of dual 34's for my bus I will be talking REALLY sweet to the missus. (just wait till I tell her that the silly things will fit the teener mueba.gif ) ......Are you starting to wonder about the number of projects yet? BWHAAHAHAHAHAHA

I have figured out that if it is on Fri. there will be no way I can make it down. OK, no LEGAL way I can make it down in time to meet and greet.
pokey1168
WTHOT (way the heck off topic) I feel the need to share some advice. NEVER FEED A CHOW CHOW TACO BELL!!!!!!eeeeeeeeeeewww!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.