Time for a engine swap ...
biggrin.gif

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-t...specs-analysis/

driving.gif

914Sixer
600 hp is mind boggling.
Superhawk996
Impressive specs

"Koenigsegg cars are mid-engine cars," the founder explains. "We don't make pure electric cars because for the time being, we think they're too heavy, and they don't make a cool sound. And as long as we can be CO2 neutral and frugal and clean comparatively, we will push the combustion engine."

agree.gif - especially the mid-engine part and that a car should make a cool sound. Triple's have a very cool sound.

No mention of price. My bet is that you can have a near original 914/6 for the price of this Koenigsegg engine alone. You can scratch me off the list of potential firsts laugh.gif
preach
Just turbo an old geo metro engine and slap it in. redneck koenigsegg.
tygaboy
Someone send me one and I'll put it in my car. poke.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 16 2020, 07:26 AM) *

Impressive specs

"Koenigsegg cars are mid-engine cars," the founder explains. "We don't make pure electric cars because for the time being, we think they're too heavy, and they don't make a cool sound. And as long as we can be CO2 neutral and frugal and clean comparatively, we will push the combustion engine."

agree.gif - especially the mid-engine part and that a car should make a cool sound. Triple's have a very cool sound.

No mention of price. My bet is that you can have a near original 914/6 for the price of this Koenigsegg engine alone. You can scratch me off the list of potential firsts laugh.gif

The tech is around and these guys have always been up there,the valveless engine concept isn't new,most of the research has come from the constant need to make large marine diesel engines more frugal,the bigger ships run by the last company I worked for were burning 650,000L per 6 week trip...they are small engines (toys)compared to container and cruise ships that have engines making 1000hp/cylinder,now you are talking serious fuel consumption blink.gif .
The development is there but most people are too focused on electric cars and thinking its the way to go due to well advertised info by certain car companies.unless you are generating power from hydro-electric or wind farms these is nothing "green" about them.
Rant over lol-2.gif .
Big Len
Engineering is way above my head. Holy moly.
Krieger
Amazing technology! I wonder how much the non turbo would cost?
falcor75
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 16 2020, 06:26 AM) *

Amazing technology! I wonder how much the non turbo would cost?

There isnt a non turbo version... and the car starts around 1.7 million $US.
Love the way they are pushing the boundaries, first with the gearboxless Regera and then the LightSpeedTransmission in the Jesko and now the freevalve engine in the Gemera.
r_towle
high pressure rubber hoses control the valve train.
What could possibly go wrong??
falcor75
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 16 2020, 10:05 PM) *

high pressure rubber hoses control the valve train.
What could possibly go wrong??

Click to view attachment

Not a rubber hose in sight...its all contained in this unit as I understand it. So it mounts kinda like a coil on plug pack does today. They have been working on it for 20 years so its not completely new or untested.
Tbrown4x4
Hmmm. Sure looks like that could fit in a conventional valve spring seat area.
Superhawk996
The real question is: Why on earth would you WANT a conventional valve spring? Valve springs are extraneous mass in the system and subject to resonance and lead to valve float.

The point of the this engine excercise is to get rid of the camshaft and to enable infinately variable valve timing and the HP that can come with it.

Ducati Desmodromic valvetrain is a great example of an purley mechanical valve train that eliminated conventional valve springs. Desmo has it's own issues of adjustment and complexity but it was a solution to the limitations of conventional springs and metalurgy of the early 1900's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocfIYUc5bpU

falcor75
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Mar 17 2020, 01:25 PM) *

Hmmm. Sure looks like that could fit in a conventional valve spring seat area.

Yes but without the ECU to drive it its just a paperweight. As I have understood it it gives the tuning operator so many degrees of freedom that its hard to tune with normal logic. Hence they have resorted to AI tuning or a self learning system.

"Precision performance with Artificial Intelligence (AI)

There are many variables at play in the workings of an internal combustion engine (ICE). These include the complexity of achieving maximum performance, efficiency, reliability and safety with minimum fuel consumption, emission, size and cost.

Adding the Freevalve system to the mix makes it possible for the ICE to reach new heights. The Freevalve system creates many more variables to consider and tune. These can include NOx, CO2 emissions, fuel consumption, HC/NMOG, power and torque, all competing for priority in a cycle.

Then there’s fuel types, lubricants, temperatures, component wear and tear, alongside the Freevalve liberation.

Clearly it becomes virtually impossible for humans to tune each parameter for optimum results. Given this, Koenigsegg has decided to use AI in order to optimize the TFG for different conditions and situations

That is why Koenigsegg has chosen to partner with SparkCognition, the world’s leading AI company, in order to leverage the development of the Freevalve equipped TFG."
Andyrew
Love the engine.. In something lighter than what KG is building... The electronic motor aids are really whats going to make this car amazing. The crazy 4 cylinder in this car is doing fantastic things but to be honest the 600hp number is NOT that high. Especially in comparison to the additional electric motors on the car.

The whole point of making a small displacement high potential motor is to put in a lightweight chassis and have a rocket...

Put this in a carbon no frills tub (This is KG were talking about) with as little in it as possible. Drop the weight to say 1700lbs like the Elise with say 500-600hp and set the world on fire with a really radical engaging car vs a 3500lb hypercar that honestly feels like its driving you.

914forme
Andrew ever driven a hyper car? I never feel like at speed they are driving me, matter of fact I find myself wondering how much is left in them.

And it is a 2.0L 3 cylinder 600HP is pretty good, and I am guessing there is more in that engine. If Dodge could do the same thing on a production engine the new Hell Spawn would be posting 1860 HP numbers all day long.

Yes I just made that up, but then Dodge does not hire me to drive their stuff, because that's the only way I would ever drive them. Or the Avis guy gives me an upgrade barf.gif And you find me driving back to the Portland Airport spinning the tires, and drifting around corners, to get the gas tank back down to half a tank.
Andyrew
Alright you caught me, I've never driven a hypercar in real life. Spent quite the hours in simulators and read quite a lot of reviews, especially from KG. The electronic aids sure help the transitions and overall grip.

I'm not trying to downplay 600hp from 2L. It's fantastic specific output. My point is that with 1100hp assistance from electric motors, the 600hp 2L motor is really not the star of the show... In fact one would say that the engine/trans/fuel system is just added weight. Drop 700lbs for that system and just have the electric system and your power to weight ratio isn't that far off and the handling, braking, and efficiency is improved.
preach
919 EVO's engine is a 2.0t 4cyl making 710hp.
Mike Bellis
If I had the money I would already be doing it. The KG motor will fit nicely in my engine cradle.
falcor75
QUOTE(preach @ Mar 18 2020, 05:29 AM) *

919 EVO's engine is a 2.0t 4cyl making 710hp.

Race engines and one-offs need not apply. Its a different thing when you intend to put it into production (even if just 300 of them) and pass worldwide emissions tests.

914forme
agree.gif
If that was the case then we could just look to NHRA who is now pushing 1341.46 HP per liter in the top fuel dragsters. @8.2L we are looking at 11000 HP and over 12700 Ft Pounds of torque.

To make this kind of power requires 80+ gallons of fuel per hour. The Fuel line is larger than the chromoly tubing used in the chassis construction. Each engine is torn down after each run, re-ringed, and honed at minimum.

One off engine, doing what it needs to do to win races.
cali914
500hp on pump gas like that is not enough. LOL. Incredible
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.