RolinkHaus
Sand blasted parts
Click to view attachment
thelogo
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Mar 15 2020, 06:34 PM) *

Taking advantage of the Coronavirus.
Click to view attachment

Im taking advantage too .
Cleaned garage and did breaks on the modern cars .

But dropping a engine .you got some brass
Superhawk996
Looking good. So glad to see you digging into this and fixing those little issues that always pop up.

Great job! beerchug.gif
RolinkHaus
Best place to mount the cooler? Thinking under the trunk??

Also, anybody know the size of these fittings???

idea.gif

Click to view attachment
RolinkHaus
Upon re-installing the engine, is the engine compartment seal necessary? Would it not create a little more air flow, leaving it off?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Mar 17 2020, 06:16 AM) *

Upon re-installing the engine, is the engine compartment seal necessary? Would it not create a little more air flow, leaving it off?

No. Don't leave the seals off. You don't want airflow though the seals.

The seals are there to help establish a separation between fan inlet (low pressure area) and the fan outlet above the cylinders (higer pressure area). This keeps cooling air moving in the proper direction.

You want segregation between the cool air above the engine (inlet) and the hot air exiting below the engine. That hot is is then drawn out from under the car by airflow under the car when it's moving and the seals separate it when the car is stopped and idling.

Hot air rises. At idle, without underbody airflow, and without engine compartment seals, the hot air will just rise up into the engine compartment and be recirculated. Worse yet, at idle it will actually be drawn upwards by the low pressure fan inlet and will be recirculated.

Without seals you'll get a mixing of hot air from under the vehicle being drawn back into the engine compartment. This will IMPAIR cooling.

Trust the Germans, they had this air cooling thing figured out.

Alternatively - don't leave out the thermostat and the cooling flaps either. Those are needed too. Removing them leads to slower engine warm up and hotter running temperatures. The flaps act to direct air over the engine mounted oil cooler which it looks like you are keeping.
RolinkHaus
Thanks for the information
Sea Rooster
Glad I found this post. My 2.0 is almost ready to go back in to the '73 and I'm having a hard time finding what seals go in the engine bay.

Car just got back from paint and I want new rubber. Does this package include what I need for the engine bay?

ITEM # 914ERK
914 Early Rubber Package
Manufacturer 914RUBBER

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.