Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking to put together a GB for SS Vintage speed Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
We have been working with Vintage speed to try to put together a GB and we finally got numbers together. The catch, we need 25 units to make it happen. We will be bringing them over ocean freight, so the final numbers will be in shipping, but will be much cheaper than bringing in individually.

I have seen some of their work, and will have a sample prior to the shipment. I've been real happy with what I have seen so far, and think these would be a great option to the current options.

Who's in?
List is $693 without shipping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb07sMAJJ7s...eature=youtu.be
bdstone914
@Mikey914

That one looks like a 2.0L.
Are both 2.0 and 1.7 - 1.8 planned? No 75-76 types?
mb911
sad.gif

I would have been happy/ thrilled to work with you on these..
Mikey914
Still not too late Ben
mb911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 17 2020, 07:56 AM) *

Still not too late Ben

Pm sent.. Lets do this
Mark Henry
I'm looking for a VS one for my '67 bus, but if you do a deal with Ben I'd likely be interested in a /6 muffler.
KSCarrera
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 17 2020, 10:46 AM) *

@Mikey914

That one looks like a 2.0L.
Are both 2.0 and 1.7 - 1.8 planned? No 75-76 types?

MT (owner of Vintage Speed) made the first one you see here for me and then I suggested there might be a wider market for them. Hence, the first is a 2.0-litre type but what MT was asking is if anyone has a stock 1.7 muffler in good condition that he can use as a pattern for measurements etc. Knowing MT, he'll look to widen the range eventually – if you check his range of VW mufflers, you'll see what I mean.

Best thing is to drop him an e-mail: shop@vintagespeed.com.tw. or call +886 4 2359 2422 - or message through the Vintage Speed Facebook page
Cairo94507
I would rather support Ben and I hope 914 Rubber and Ben can get together on this and make it happen. Ben's products are top drawer and he stands behind his work. beerchug.gif
djway
My 914 motor kinda accidentally fell into my Notchback.
Depending on the version I could use one.
Coondog
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 17 2020, 01:32 PM) *

I would rather support Ben and I hope 914 Rubber and Ben can get together on this and make it happen. Ben's products are top drawer and he stands behind his work. beerchug.gif

100% agree.
framos914
I would be interested. Will look for updates on final version
DucRS
I too would be interested for a 2.0
davehg
For me, looks are important but how it sounds and performs are key. It would help if you could post more details on performance. These look quite exquisite, very jewel like especially the exhaust ports. A sound sample would absolutely help, as the note is pretty key. At least for me it is - exhausts have such a distinct tone that it is hard to spend that kind of money without hearing them via a video sample.

I have two of Ben’s stainless mufflers - a single pipe outlet and his dual pipe GT version, plus his flat six header/heat exchangers. They are wonderfully crafted, with beautiful welds, and they really look the business.

I am looking forward to hear how Ben’s headers and single pipe version perform on my 2.7 twin plug, but that is a ways off as the restoration is on a slower track for a few months, and I have yet to hear the sound of the single pipe exhaust.

I did put 1600 miles in four days (road trip) on his GT dual pipe muffler on my injected 3.2 car and it is LOUD, probably too much so for me for the street, but would work fine for the track and really shrieks at full throttle (in a good way for the track, but less so when Officer friendly is nearby). I understand the latest GT versions may have been revised since mine was made and may be quieter with less drone in the 2500-4500 rpm range.

For the street, at least for my tastes, I love the tone of the Dansk mufflers which have a nice growl. I only wish the Dansk versions looked as nice as the Vintage or Ben’s mufflers, and for the price Ben offers these on the forum, it is hard to pay retail for a Dansk when for the same $$ you can get stainless. Plus, Ben has stepped up in support of the 914 community in many other projects, like his oil tanks and lines, and engine tins. I like supporting those kind of guys.

It sounds like the Vintage GB deal would only be for the four cylinder cars in any event.
bdstone914
@Mikey914

@DAVEHG

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/Classic-PORSCHE-c33996821

What exactly are you planning to bring in? They list six different mufflers for 914.
Not much info on any of them.
They have a chart on the site about sound but dont say how it relates to any of the 914 models.
By personal vote is working with Ben and a stock location exit. I hate the shin ripper pipes. They get grounded out on 914's when you transition to a angle like entering a driveway.
davehg
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 17 2020, 11:01 PM) *
look
@Mikey914

@DAVEHG

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/Classic-PORSCHE-c33996821

What exactly are you planning to bring in? They list six different mufflers for 914.
Not much info on any of them.
They have a chart on the site about sound but dont say how it relates to any of the 914 models.

Doesn’t look like they have a /6 option unless you go with the full headers for an early 911, and my they are pricey!. They should do a version with just the muffler only.

I will say, their exhaust ports/pipes on the end of the muffler look nice - I like how they are internally beveled.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(DucRS @ Mar 18 2020, 12:28 AM) *

I too would be interested for a 2.0

Ben has already produced a 2.0L 914/4 stainless exhaust. Ready to roll. I purchased the first one. A hand crafted work of art.

Top notch build quality and is hand weld TIG which is the gold standard for Stainless Exhuast fabrication.
913B
popcorn[1].gif I may be interested.
mb911
Thanks for the support guys.. I talked with Mark and are looking at options. I won't muddy up this thread at all..
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 18 2020, 09:32 AM) *

agree.gif not much more to say really unsure why 914rubber has gone this direction.
Mikey914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 18 2020, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 18 2020, 09:32 AM) *

agree.gif not much more to say really unsure why 914rubber has gone this direction.

We simply didn’t have the collaboration to go any other way. We had been approached by a potential new vendor and simply are trying to support these cars.

Ben and I are currently in conversation as to what we can do to help develop a relationship to support his products. And yes, there will be a GB as we try to help him to develop a product line, even making some of the flanges he will need to make them.

So yes we left this up as we have been working with this vendor. And yes if you really want one of these sign up, we need 25 to make it work., and in fairness we will see where it goes.
However, do look for an announcement for a GB we will do with Ben. We have been a supporter of his for quite some time, just need to work out a few things.

Mark
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 19 2020, 07:00 AM) *

However, do look for an announcement for a GB we will do with Ben. We have been a supporter of his for quite some time, just need to work out a few things.

Mark

cheer.gif
yellowporky
I pulled my muffler out of storage and found out what i though was a 2,0 is a 1,7.
Now i need a 2,0 muffler option.
Interested to see what happens here.
Thanks
mb911
I already make 2.0 options
yellowporky
Ben,
I sent you a pm
Thanks
nickg
any sound clips? I would be interested
Villemi
No news and sound of the Vintage speed on a 2.0l 914 ?
mb911
I think it fizzled out when folks realized I already make them.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Villemi @ Sep 13 2020, 01:25 PM) *

All I know is baywindow bus guys have bought them and then sell them as they are loud. Gets old driving with a loud exhaust as well I know with my old Bursch. I am saving up for one of Ben's quiet SS exhausts.
mepstein
QUOTE(Villemi @ Sep 13 2020, 04:25 PM) *

I have both side and rear exit 2.0 stainless steel mufflers in stock and they are handmade in the USA by Ben’s/MB911 production shop. $550

1.7/1.8 coming soon - couple weeks.
914-6 - sold out but I’ll get more made if people want.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 13 2020, 04:35 PM) *

All I know is baywindow bus guys have bought them and then sell them as they are loud. Gets old driving with a loud exhaust as well I know with my old Bursch. I am saving up for one of Ben's quiet SS exhausts.

Its pretty awesome. I really like mine. So much quieter then the Triad I had on before.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 14 2020, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 13 2020, 04:35 PM) *

Its pretty awesome. I really like mine. So much quieter then the Triad I had on before.

Zach

I remember reading on Marv's 3.6 thread that he said Ben's quiet muffler was one of the best upgrades he's made to his car and that's a guy who's running a built 993 engine and 915 trans. driving.gif
mlindner
Mikey914, Ben already has a better product built and supported in the US. You need this to get unfizzled. My 2 cents. Best, Mark
Jake Raby
Ben has a great product.. heavy gauge stainless, and thick flanges that stay straight. Also, the baffles won't rattle loose, and fail.
Very impressed with everything that he has worked with me on over the years.
While others that built a reputation for having great stuff have made things from thinner materials, and cut corners, Ben has continued to keep things robust. I have fried his systems on the dyno, and seen EGT over 1400 degrees, without any flange warpage.
mb911
I think Mark and I 914rubber and 914-6werkshop.com are going to figure something out to benefit us all. Fingers crossed
porsche914rick
welder.gif
flat4guy
I have seen many of these in the VW world - good product with a nice sound. Is there one available for the 1.7?
Mikey914
So when I started this thread I intended to import thees directly and sell them. I may still do that as an option for those that want that specific part. But to support Ben's efforts also.

I have sense made a deal with Ben to stock and distribute his product. We will be bringing the 2.0 in 1st, and he's working on the 1.7 now.

mlindner
Mikey914, excellent.
Cbarbato
I’ll post this here as opposed to PM since all the experts are hanging around. I created a thread on Dansk Vs. Bursch for a replacement for my FI 1.7. Had the Bursch. Loved its tone and how it was raspy during shifts even though it was a little loud. Couldn’t get a replacement Bursch, bought a Dansk. Hate it. Too quite, too tinny, exhaust pipe goes in the wrong place and doesn’t work with an early valance so if I’m going to replace The valance anyways...

I here Ben makes nice things, is local (I’m in Chicago burbs), has an aviation background (so do I). The VS 1.7 dual tip looks awesome as well. I want something that sounds “sportscar” closer to the Bursch spectrum than Dansk.

Bursch and triad haters seem to love Ben’s product and always remark about its quietness and outstanding build quality, which is why I ask the question: If you want little pops and crackles when you let off the throttle and some loud which product do you go with, VS or Ben’s?
mb911
QUOTE(Cbarbato @ Oct 5 2020, 09:05 AM) *

I’ll post this here as opposed to PM since all the experts are hanging around. I created a thread on Dansk Vs. Bursch for a replacement for my FI 1.7. Had the Bursch. Loved its tone and how it was raspy during shifts even though it was a little loud. Couldn’t get a replacement Bursch, bought a Dansk. Hate it. Too quite, too tinny, exhaust pipe goes in the wrong place and doesn’t work with an early valance so if I’m going to replace The valance anyways...

I here Ben makes nice things, is local (I’m in Chicago burbs), has an aviation background (so do I). The VS 1.7 dual tip looks awesome as well. I want something that sounds “sportscar” closer to the Bursch spectrum than Dansk.

Bursch and triad haters seem to love Ben’s product and always remark about its quietness and outstanding build quality, which is why I ask the question: If you want little pops and crackles when you let off the throttle and some loud which product do you go with, VS or Ben’s?

Just to clarify I make a sport muffler as well as a quiet muffler. Also note that 914 rubber now carries my mufflers as well.
jim_hoyland
My Bursch is starting to rust. May be a candidate for one...
mepstein
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 5 2020, 04:52 PM) *

I have Ben’s 2.0 side exhaust in stock. 1.7 coming soon.

@jim_hoyland
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 5 2020, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 5 2020, 04:52 PM) *

I have Ben’s 2.0 side exhaust in stock. 1.7 coming soon.

@jim_hoyland

Got it. Gonna have the bumpers for a backdating. Will shoot pics of my current set up; the valance is a FG holed one. Motor is 1.8 L-Jet with SS HES
Gint
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 5 2020, 01:34 PM) *
Just to clarify I make a sport muffler as well as a quiet muffler. Also note that 914 rubber now carries my mufflers as well.

Is there a sound clip available of each? And does each have an O2 bung already installed? Thanks
Mikey914
We will be testing and doing sound clips for these products once we have them.
-Mark
Gint
@Mikey914 , @mb911

Guys, do both models have O2 bungs?
mepstein
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 6 2020, 10:15 AM) *

@Mikey914 , @mb911

Guys, do both models have O2 bungs?

They are available for $35
I have a pic of one that we just did for a customer- somewhere on my phone.
Gint
I don't want to spend all the money on a beautifully welded stainless muffler and have to farm out welding an O2 bung on it. If it was included, it's a huge value add. At least to me. and a significant detail to state one way or another. Hence, the question.
mepstein
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 6 2020, 05:59 PM) *

I don't want to spend all the money on a beautifully welded stainless muffler and have to farm out welding an O2 bung on it. If it was included, it's a huge value add. At least to me. and a significant detail to state one way or another. Hence, the question.

Yes, If you want one, It's added when they build the muffler.
@Gint
mb911
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 6 2020, 01:59 PM) *

Very very few people request o2 bungs and if I included one with each muffler people would complain that they want a plug.. Best sampling is really the heat exchangers anyway.. I personally have sold thousands of mufflers over the years and can count on 1 hand how many want an o2 bung on the muffler.. Now when being built I can add the o2 bung to the build for $35 as Mark said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.