Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoring an old conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914e
When the kids turned 14 my son and daughter for some reason decided they needed to build a car. I still suspect somehow my brothers stuck this idea in their heads. After months of failing to get them to drop the idea. I was able to convince them the $500 muscle cars that I grew up with are long gone. So I convinced them a bug was a perfect first car. Cheap and easy to get parts for. They found a 74 super with a blown engine for about $700. The owner claimed it was daily driver till the engine blew. The body looked pretty solid.

Click to view attachment
My plan was to have them rebuild the engine, do the body work, and get it back on the road. We dissembled it and started on the body work. After a few months we had a machine shop examine the engine parts, it was in worse shape then I expected but workable. Meanwhile my daughter started suggesting we should make it electric. Looking at the motor and controller cost it seemed to be in the range of the engine rebuild, then I looked up the batteries.... No way batteries are 20K. They sanded and soda blasted for months. Found some rust areas, being in Arizona a quarter size rust area is a disaster. After looking at what everyone in the world considers rust, I got over it and bought a welder.

My daughter kept on me about making it electric, after I figured out the smart way was to use batteries from a wreaked car for pennies on the dollar, I agreed. Of course teenagers can't finish the body work in April when it is below 90F. They wait August weeks before school to try to finish when it is still110F. Anyway after many days of painting at 4 am we finish.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Back in the 90's and 2000's the local utility sponsored electric car races. Often a 914 was converted to electric and raced. As we built the bug I ran across a few of the old 914 conversions.
After the bug was on the road, I enjoyed driving it so much I started looking for making something of my own. I started looking a Ghia's, Buses, 911's and then one day a 914 pops up on Craigslist.

Click to view attachment

Old DC motor, converted by a high school or college 20 years ago. Even had a battery module. The body looked good, the price cheap.
Tbrown4x4
Go on.

BTW, The bug looks great!
Porschef
beer3.gif popcorn[1].gif
Root_Werks
Got a ride in an EV Bug once. It was an early 70's and well done. Other than the limited range, it was impressively quick.
914e
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 17 2020, 08:32 AM) *

Got a ride in an EV Bug once. It was an early 70's and well done. Other than the limited range, it was impressively quick.

The bug is quick, even with the power turned down. Since the kids drive it often, there is no reason to allow them full power. With modern batteries it is only about 150 to 200 pounds heavier than stock. It has 80 miles of range which is plenty for driving around town.
914e
Since a rare rain in Phoenix is keeping me from working on the car. I can get some more posts in. I have not been able the track down the full history. I believe it was a high school team that did the conversion.
I think it was done around 98. I have a some drawings of the original battery layout and cabling, along with a few changes over the years. The original conversion had 20 six volt deep cycle lead acid batteries. I estimate that added around 1500 pounds to a car. With lithium batteries I expect it to be about the the weight of a 914/6.

After having it towed back to Phoenix we starting at what we had.
Click to view attachment

One ugly green interior and a few boxes of parts. Since the paint was flaking off in a few areas and looked to be only one layer. I thought it was original paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A few minutes with the sander and we find the rear deck lid is not the original. After doing the bug the kids make short work of removing the paint off the 914
Click to view attachment

Being in Arizona I knew I didn't want to repaint it black, and when driving something small I like it to be bright, so if someone hits you that can't claim they didn't see it.

After printing out pictures of 914s in most of the factory colors and looking at them for weeks. I decided on orange, though yellow looks great we already have one yellow car. The next problem was which orange.
Click to view attachment

Signal or Nepal?
Tbrown4x4
Nepal is a little more unusual. One of our local guys has a Nepal Orange car and I always hear people comment on how nice it looks.
911GT2
Cool build! shades.gif

Both of them! Good luck!
mbseto
This will be cool to watch. Always thought the 914 would make a smart EV.
JOEPROPER
I sold a Nepal Orange car and bought a Signal Orange car fairly recently and like the Nepal color much better.
914e
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Mar 19 2020, 07:19 AM) *

I sold a Nepal Orange car and bought a Signal Orange car fairly recently and like the Nepal color much better.

After painting the two samples. I had vivid memories of both colors. I remember 914s in both the colors.
914e
Both front corners had bumped into something. So I spent a few days hammering, tapping, pushing and pulling to get them into shape.

Click to view attachment

Roughly back into shape well enough for the turn signal housing to fit again. As you can see the weatherstrip channel had rusted through in a few areas.

Click to view attachment

I spent a few weekend welding the rusted areas. All pretty minor compared to some of the heroic efforts I see many put in here.

Other than the front corners, the only bodywork I could fine the was the passenger front. It looked like it had been hit right in the middle of the wheel well. It looked like a body shop repair, though a little heavy on the filler. It had been pulled back out with a body hammer, no idea why it is all accessible.

Click to view attachment

Finally after months more than I planned, it was ready to be be sealed and painted.
Click to view attachment

First basecoat

Click to view attachment

And the clearcoat. As you see I went with Signal Orange. I went back forth for about a month. Signal Orange just pops in the blinding Arizona sun.
914e
Starting to look like car again with the bumpers, tire and wheels.

Click to view attachment
914e
Double post
914e
Progress has slowed to a crawl with the pandemic. My wife is has been a work by 6am sometimes going back after dinner to meet with crews til 10-11 at night. The kids are stuck with me all day while I was putting in 12-18 hour days so I didn't have time to see if the car was still there.

About a months ago my daughter had burst of ambition and volunteered to rebuild the CV joints. After watching Van Svenson's You Tube videos she jumped right in.Click to view attachment
Unfortunately I didn't think to order new C clips when I ordered the boots and gaskets so we had to wait a few days for them.

Then she decided to recover the seats which the cats decided would be a worthy throne.

Click to view attachment

I have mostly being pulling what little hair I have out trying to fix butchered wiring harness.
It is bad enough they painted the wire and turn signal, they could have at least masked the connector.

Click to view attachment
914e
double post
rjames
Love that your kids are into it.
You made quick work getting it ready to paint and then getting color on.
I envy those that have the ability to prep and paint their own cars.

Nice job! It's looking great!

Root_Werks
Wow, you got that painted and looking like a million bucks fast! Nice work!
nditiz1
I was thinking of converting the silver beetle in my profile pic to electric. The cost was going to be around 17k for the full setup from EV. What did it end up costing you for the 74 super? I also have a 74 super and 72 super awaiting resto for when the kids are grown (3 under 5 now)
914e
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Apr 28 2020, 12:26 PM) *

I was thinking of converting the silver beetle in my profile pic to electric. The cost was going to be around 17k for the full setup from EV. What did it end up costing you for the 74 super? I also have a 74 super and 72 super awaiting resto for when the kids are grown (3 under 5 now)

Some of the electronics have gone up about 30- 40 percent from the tariffs. My motor and controller was under 4k at the time, 1 k for the adapter, DC to DC for 12 volts about $100, $700 for the charger, $700 for the BMS, $150 for the cooling plate, maybe 1k is cable and small parts.

The Chevy Volt batteries cost about $2500.

I would say about 10K now.
914e
My poor car's wiring harness has been butchered. It has been spliced, chewed on, torn, chopped and who knows what else.Click to view attachment

With everything else going on I have been slowly tracing down the wiring problems.
Splices everywhere, you have to love splices that as you trace wire 6" later you have another splice.

Click to view attachment

The fairly heavy black with red wire confused me looking at the schematics till I remembered the later model's fuel pump is in the front. I kept wondering why it was in the front part of the harness.

The new "fuel" will require a bit heavier gauge cable so I won't be use that one anyway.Click to view attachment

I finally sorted out the headlight motors. A few feet of harness is missing for the drivers side front lights. New harnesses from 914 rubber are just long enough to repair most of it.

I have most of it sorted out, now I just need to fix the splices and rewrap the harness.
914e
After my daughter rebuilt the CV joints she was too busy the last few weeks of school to help on the car. If she had time she might have reminded me to order all the parts I needed, before I tried to put it back together. First mistake was I forgot to order Schnorr washers. Oh well the half shaft was in, I ordered the washers which nobody in the whole state has on a Saturday.

Click to view attachment

My transaxle had a pretty bad leak from the speedo bushing, so when Mike released the new double seal version I snapped one up. I at least made sure I could get the fill plug out, the bad news was I could barely even touch the gear oil. sad.gif The good news is I didn't lose a drop from my quart low transaxle. I only had a pint in the garage so I added what I had. It wasn't full, but it didn't leak so I had some misguided hope. Some how though all this I had the pull down the half shaft of the transaxle again the tore the gasket. headbang.gif
I was hoping the put in the shift linkage but it would be in the way. Ordered extra CV joint gaskets, and extra washers just to have them. Picked some gear oil during week.

I topped up the gear oil, put on the CV joint gasket, bolted in the the half shaft. Put in the shift linkage and had both end connected, looked up and noticed I forgot the cover. Disconnect the linkage go find the cover, slide it on and think there should a rubber boot. I must have that boot somewhere, I dig though all my boxes of parts can't find it. We go grab some lunch.

After lunch I look through my orders to see if have ordered one, I had not. I add it to a new order. (Can I claim 914 rubber and AA as a dependents?) I go back out to car the pull the linkage back out till I can get the boot. To find a fresh puddle of gear oil. It is pouring out the the output shaft seal. At two in the afternoon on Saturday nobody open has that seal. Autohaus had them in stock but they are only open during the week.

Looking at the weather I see that mid week was dropping back into the 90's. Since work has dropped back down to just insane, I decide to take a day off midweek after I get the parts. The parts arrive, I pull the half shaft again. I pull the output shaft and seal, put in the new seal. Looking at the output shaft, it seems strange me that Porsche would have left the casting rough so close the the seal. I start cleaning up the shaft to put it back only to find that it not casting . It is rock hard Arizona desert that had combined with gear oil to make one of the best epoxies you can find.
After about 30 minutes I was able to remove it. With it cleaned up reinstalled it, the half shaft, linkage, torqued everything with ALL the parts installed. So far after a few days still bone dry.
914e
After over 5 months of brutal summer I have finally been able work on the car the last two weekends. We had started on the seats about the time @iankarr released his video on redoing the seats. At the time I was worried I would finish before he released the 2nd half. lol-2.gif As luck would have he had plenty of time.Click to view attachment
We did add something that works good here. Seat heaters are more than enough to keep you warm in the two to three weeks of Arizona winter.Click to view attachment
I thought I took pictures of the finished seat, I guess I have to take one tomorrow
914e
It only took me 18 months to post the next day.

The inspector has approved the seats.

Click to view attachment

I still need to work on the interior.

Click to view attachment

914e
I decided to drill a bunch of holes in the car.

Click to view attachment

To add the front sway-bar.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cleaned it up flapper wheel for welding

Click to view attachment

Not the prettiest weld but I think it will hold

Click to view attachment

Root_Werks
I feel your pain what you have to clean up wiring wise. My 914 was a rats nest, took days to sort through everything, mostly remove or undo everything PO did. Yuck. End product is well worth the work.
914e
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 15 2022, 08:35 AM) *

I feel your pain what you have to clean up wiring wise. My 914 was a rats nest, took days to sort through everything, mostly remove or undo everything PO did. Yuck. End product is well worth the work.

I think there are two thing all 914's have rust and wiring messed up by previous owner.
I have it all working now I have make it pretty.
914e
After welding in the sway-bar mounts, I install rebuilt front calipers from PMB to match the rears.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(914e @ Aug 31 2022, 01:53 AM) *

After welding in the sway-bar mounts, I install rebuilt front calipers from PMB to match the rears.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Nice!

VTO wheels?
Size? Tire size? Full view picture please.
914e
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Aug 31 2022, 04:51 AM) *

Nice!

VTO wheels?

@seanpaulmc Yes, VTO wheels they are 16 x7 with 195/55 Michelin
Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires. They are custom color off one the other model of wheels. The custom color was very reasonable.

Click to view attachment
seanpaulmc
Thanks! Love it!!

QUOTE(914e @ Sep 1 2022, 01:39 AM) *

QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Aug 31 2022, 04:51 AM) *

Nice!

VTO wheels?

@seanpaulmc Yes, VTO wheels they are 16 x7 with 195/55 Michelin
Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires. They are custom color off one the other model of wheels. The custom color was very reasonable.

Click to view attachment

TRS63
Love the wheels and really clean job first.gif

Antoine
914e
I'm still way behind on posts. I was having issues the 25 year old DC motor and controller. I had always planned to replace it with modern AC motor from the beginning when I found the car.

Click to view attachment

So I decide it was a good time to upgrade the motor.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The lightweight aluminum flywheel is an interference fit to the hub so it needed to be heated in the oven while my wife was not looking.

Click to view attachment

914e
A side by side of the old DC motor and the new AC motor.

Click to view attachment

a few specs
Rated Torque: 173 Lb Ft
Rated Power: 120 HP
Max RPM: 8,000
Air Cooled
914e
Then I needed to fabricate the mounting plate the inverter/ controller and the throttle.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Of course after I had pulled the old motor and was cleaning it up and noticed the brushes did not move at all. That ultrafine Arizona dust had settled in brush holders and pretty much locked them into place. That explained the strange issues I was having.it was a struggle to work them loose.

Click to view attachment
914e
Of course the car had to be throughly inspected.

Click to view attachment

914e
My son designed and printed a cable loom to dress the cables.

Click to view attachment

914e
The battery box required some arts and crafts or CAD AKA Cardboard Aid Design. Being a professional I stepped it up to foam-core.

Click to view attachment

This the large DC power connector shell.

Click to view attachment

Inside the battery box is two Chevy Volt modules. There will be a box on each side of the motor.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The first box in the car.

Click to view attachment

From the other side.

Click to view attachment

With both boxes in, it is tight fit.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.