Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dashboard issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
Hi guys,

Sorting out the last electric gremlins so I can get the car inspected/registered.

What I did so far :

* installed hella front euro headlights
* renewed the rubber under the dashpad so the horn works
* installed new pin at the rear light switch so back up lights work
* adjusted switch at the brakepedal so breaklights work
* installed jwest fusepanel with led fuses - no blown fuses
* in short all the external lights work, hazard, blinkers, mean and high beam, fogs etc

One last thing I am looking for are the dashboard lights. I have the green and red light of the oil, dashboard light and the little green bulb of the citylights work.
I don't have the blue high beam, no blinkerlights left and right, no hazard.

I checked all grounds, they all look good...cleaned the one under the fusebox.
Removed indicator and wiperstalk, took off the tubes for the windscreenwasher (have electrical pump installed). Opened the dashboard and checked the gauges... had two loose wires but most probably ripped them off when removing the panel. Noticed nothing special but was a bit worried (too many wires biggrin.gif ) and re-installed everything.

Now I have the indicator lights but instead of left right they blink together (so bulb is ok) BUT now my wiper remains on (not constantly every 10 seconds or so). My next guess was to replace both the indicator and wiperstalk but apparently the wiperstalk is NLA...

No idea what to do next ... shall I remove and disconnect all the gauges, clean all connections, but new bulbs and clean the grounds and hope for the best ?

I've read everything I could find (most tell it is a ground issue but they all look so clean, with no corrosion whatsoever) so any suggestions are welcome

So close, only the few lights keep me away fm inspection/registration. evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif

thks
Dax

Tbrown4x4
Very difficult to help without being there, but I may have an idea on the turn signal indicators. You didn't mention the year of the car, and my experience with my 1973 could be different.

Anyway, my indicators have always blinked together, but there are two separate bulbs, and they SHOULD be able to blink independently.

It turns out that the previous owner replaced the turn signal flasher with a 3 pole instead of the correct 4 pole. The fourth pole provides a ground to the indicator bulbs. I bought spoke's LED flasher and it fixed the indicators.

@Spoke

Do you have intermittent wipers?

I will have to check my wiring diagram for the High Beam lamp. You may have to get back under the dash and trace everything out.

dax1969
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Mar 20 2020, 11:51 AM) *

Very difficult to help without being there, but I may have an idea on the turn signal indicators. You didn't mention the year of the car, and my experience with my 1973 could be different.

Anyway, my indicators have always blinked together, but there are two separate bulbs, and they SHOULD be able to blink independently.

It turns out that the previous owner replaced the turn signal flasher with a 3 pole instead of the correct 4 pole. The fourth pole provides a ground to the indicator bulbs. I bought spoke's LED flasher and it fixed the indicators.

@Spoke

Do you have intermittent wipers?

I will have to check my wiring diagram for the High Beam lamp. You may have to get back under the dash and trace everything out.

Thks yr info. The car is a 1974 - think an early one cause the dash has the silver dots.
When replacing the fusebox to a jwest one I disconnected the indicator switch and it definetely has 4 poles. Assume they can only go in the socket one way ?
Before taking the wiperstalk off I thought (not sure, only have the car two weeks) I only had 2 possibilities, now with the thing I've done it looks I have three,
one being intermittent... only goes every 10 sec but I can't switch it off. It keeps wiping even in off position. That's no good

bye
dax1969
Damn, just found this on the workbench... must have fallen out off the indicator or wiperstalk... Or is this is a piece of the watertubes I removed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you have intermittent wiper system and the lower screw under the steering wheel is not grounding (see the 914 "tech tips 700"
The instrument lights work from the headlight switch rheostat so check that first for variable voltage
Check the four corners first to make sure that the assemblies are well grounded and that the bulbs are making proper connection and are of equal brightness. These things cause both interior arrows to flash together.

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Mar 20 2020, 03:20 AM) *

Hi guys,

Sorting out the last electric gremlins so I can get the car inspected/registered.

What I did so far :

* installed hella front euro headlights
* renewed the rubber under the dashpad so the horn works
* installed new pin at the rear light switch so back up lights work
* adjusted switch at the brakepedal so breaklights work
* installed jwest fusepanel with led fuses - no blown fuses
* in short all the external lights work, hazard, blinkers, mean and high beam, fogs etc

One last thing I am looking for are the dashboard lights. I have the green and red light of the oil, dashboard light and the little green bulb of the citylights work.
I don't have the blue high beam, no blinkerlights left and right, no hazard.

I checked all grounds, they all look good...cleaned the one under the fusebox.
Removed indicator and wiperstalk, took off the tubes for the windscreenwasher (have electrical pump installed). Opened the dashboard and checked the gauges... had two loose wires but most probably ripped them off when removing the panel. Noticed nothing special but was a bit worried (too many wires biggrin.gif ) and re-installed everything.

Now I have the indicator lights but instead of left right they blink together (so bulb is ok) BUT now my wiper remains on (not constantly every 10 seconds or so). My next guess was to replace both the indicator and wiperstalk but apparently the wiperstalk is NLA...

No idea what to do next ... shall I remove and disconnect all the gauges, clean all connections, but new bulbs and clean the grounds and hope for the best ?

I've read everything I could find (most tell it is a ground issue but they all look so clean, with no corrosion whatsoever) so any suggestions are welcome

So close, only the few lights keep me away fm inspection/registration. evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif

thks
Dax
FlacaProductions
YES - you need that tab installed.
I can't remember off the top of my head which corner screw it fits on and I can't find it in any of my pictures - but it fits on the washer/wiper switch unit.

Pull the switches (sorry...) and you should see where it goes if you look closely. it goes with the circle down and the vertical part against the body of the switch unit - and then the tab slides into a slit in the switch unit...hope this helps - it'll make sense when you get in there.
dax1969
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 20 2020, 05:16 PM) *

YES - you need that tab installed.
I can't remember off the top of my head which corner screw it fits on and I can't find it in any of my pictures - but it fits on the washer/wiper switch unit.

Pull the switches (sorry...) and you should see where it goes if you look closely. it goes with the circle down and the vertical part against the body of the switch unit - and then the tab slides into a slit in the switch unit...hope this helps - it'll make sense when you get in there.

Thank you so much. Stared to the switches for 20 minutes and couldn't figure it out... will disassemble again tomorrow. Now I know it has to go on then I will find it

Also noticed that the switch only and 3 screws (the long thin ones for bolting the switches to the column).... could it have an effect ? Should I source a fourth one so everything is well secured and grounded ?

thks
dax1969
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 20 2020, 04:04 PM) *

you have intermittent wiper system and the lower screw under the steering wheel is not grounding (see the 914 "tech tips 700"
The instrument lights work from the headlight switch rheostat so check that first for variable voltage
Check the four corners first to make sure that the assemblies are well grounded and that the bulbs are making proper connection and are of equal brightness. These things cause both interior arrows to flash together.

Thks, do you mean the thin screws bolting the switches to the column ? I noticed I only have 3 instead of 4.
Will first get that connector back in and see where it gets me.

thks again
FlacaProductions
I would source a 4th screw if you can and I'll try to dig up the photo that's in my head that shows where that tab goes.
dax1969
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 20 2020, 08:37 PM) *

I would source a 4th screw if you can and I'll try to dig up the photo that's in my head that shows where that tab goes.

Hi,
Just took everything apart and found where the connector goes.
It goes on the left top side... screw through the little hole and the tab
goes between the contacts of the indicator. Wiper works as it should.
Will source a fourth screw as soon as the shops re-open (only food and
pharmacists are open here).
Still have the issues with the lights so took the middle gauge out.
While checking two bulbs just crumbled in my hand. Ordered a dozen
new ones online... will install the new ones soon and see what the result
is...
thks for your help !
FlacaProductions
Good move on finding where that tab went - i was pretty sure you'd see it!
dax1969
UPDATE - 1974

Installed a new flasher relay and now I have the following on the dash :

* I finally have the blue light of the high beam
* the green light of the turn signal right comes on but very weak
* no green light of the turn signal left
* they don't blink simulteanously when the hazards are on

I noticed that the "fasten your seatbelt" light flashes when I put the turnsignals on left/right and the hazards. I also have no parking light brake.

As said earlier, all grounds checked, cleaned and they are ok.

What to look for now ? Could any of the centerconsole gauges mess things up ?
(clock and temp gauge not working). Or could the parkinglight/ brakelight switch
cause this problem ?

Thks in advance
Dax
StarBear
DOn't know if this will help, but I also have an early '74. Every aftermarket flasher relay I've ever installed has worked differently to not at all. I've been using NOS units, the only ones that have ever worked properly for me. Problem is (I think) that during the early 74 months some of the wiring and relays were still 73, so I've found some of my wiring to be a hybrid - sorta 73 and sorta 74.

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Apr 3 2020, 08:49 AM) *

UPDATE - 1974

Installed a new flasher relay and now I have the following on the dash :

* I finally have the blue light of the high beam
* the green light of the turn signal right comes on but very weak
* no green light of the turn signal left
* they don't blink simulteanously when the hazards are on

I noticed that the "fasten your seatbelt" light flashes when I put the turnsignals on left/right and the hazards. I also have no parking light brake.

As said earlier, all grounds checked, cleaned and they are ok.

What to look for now ? Could any of the centerconsole gauges mess things up ?
(clock and temp gauge not working). Or could the parkinglight/ brakelight switch
cause this problem ?

Thks in advance
Dax

dax1969
[quote name='StarBear' date='Apr 3 2020, 03:41 PM' post='2800448']
DOn't know if this will help, but I also have an early '74. Every aftermarket flasher relay I've ever installed has worked differently to not at all. I've been using NOS units, the only ones that have ever worked properly for me. Problem is (I think) that during the early 74 months some of the wiring and relays were still 73, so I've found some of my wiring to be a hybrid - sorta 73 and sorta 74.

[quote name='dax1969' post='2800440' date='Apr 3 2020, 08:49 AM']

Damn if this is true ... I ordered a genuine Porsche one online as my local porsche shop is closed. The buggers replied that they could not deliver as they usually run to their nearest Porsche shop mad.gif mad.gif They've send me a refund and sent me the URO one....

pffft....

stay healthy !
Dave_Darling
The 74 wiring harnesses only have a single turn signal indicator wire. That's because the 74 gauges only have one blinkenlight in the tach. The early 74s with the two indicators in the tach actually had both of them jumpered to the single wire so that both arrows blinked together when either turn signal was on.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.