Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !!!!!!!! DAMN SHIFT BUSHINGS!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben1440
Ok, well i got the super shift busing kit from pelican because I am converting from a tail shifter to a side shifter. I was installing the firewall bushing when I ran into trouble.

I got the old one out, but when I put the new one in I ended up breaking it. I tried the tip from pelican parts website to try and compress with a vice grip but that didnt help. Basically I was trying to hammer it in and it cracked.

My question is #1, is there some sort of ghetto rig I can do to resolve this or,

#2, Do i need to just buy a new firewall conversion bushing. If so, does anyone have any tips on installation,

Thanks,

--BEN

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
rick 918-S
Too late now but next time put it in boiling water. It will soften. then you can deform it to complete the install. also do a search. I recall a thread on installing these things. Someone, maybe Brad posted some photos of a tool they made to press it into the firewall.
jgara962
Just put in new shift bushings myself a couple of weeks ago. I expected the firewall bushing to be hell, but it wasn't that bad. I pushed in the top half, and then used a flat head screwdriver to push in the rest of the bushing. I actually had a harder time getting the rubber boot back on than I did gettin the bushing in. I don't know if this is the preferred method, but it worked for me.
ematulac
QUOTE (jgara962 @ Jul 5 2005, 10:06 PM)
Just put in new shift bushings myself a couple of weeks ago. I expected the firewall bushing to be hell, but it wasn't that bad. I pushed in the top half, and then used a flat head screwdriver to push in the rest of the bushing. I actually had a harder time getting the rubber boot back on than I did gettin the bushing in. I don't know if this is the preferred method, but it worked for me.

I basically did the same thing. I think I ended up using 2 flathead screwdrivers. Didn't seem like it would damage the bushing, either. YMMV.
Rog914
Just did it 3 days ago. Tried to hammer it in but kept boncing out. So I tried the putting it in boiling water. press it in with my thumbs, one side pushed in and pushed the other side with my thumb, went right in. I did'nt think it would work but putting it in boiling water for a little while realy made it pliable and went in pretty easy.

Hpoe this helps

Ralph

White 74 2.0 soon to have an all grey interior
Joe Ricard
If you are worried about the crack get some JB weld. you can probably get some on the inside bearing surface and then match fit the rod. Tighter the better as long as it don't bind.
tat2dphreak
here's the way I did it... boiling water softened it, but it was still hard to get in there..., so I made a "press"... I took a long bolt with full threads, and 2 BIG washers(as big as the bushing)
tigthened it down slowly and the thing will just slide in...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jul 6 2005, 03:03 AM)
If you are worried about the crack get some JB weld. you can probably get some on the inside bearing surface and then match fit the rod. Tighter the better as long as it don't bind.

JB Weld, or any other product like it, ain't gonna stick to the material used to make these bushings .......... The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 6 2005, 08:06 AM)
JB Weld, or any other product like it, ain't gonna stick to the material used to make these bushings .......... The Cap'n

Ok.. I just have to say it.......

Use JB Weld on your shift bushings and YOU WILL DIE!!! chairfall.gif

(Sorry Cap'n)

ben1440
Thanks everyone for the advice. I don't know why I didnt think of boiling it because I was thinking along the lines of heating it up before installing it screwy.gif

Ohh well, its too late, now I know for when I get the replacement.

Thanks! pray.gif

--Ben
joeav8tor
I wrestled with the same bushing in the firewall...I removed the shifter rod that goes through the firewall (by disconnecting the whole shifter ) so you dont have to readjust anything...dropped the bushing in boiling water, and it pushed in easily.
Joe
Mueller
I ended up putting a slice on the bushing....similar to a Nyliner® bushing

user posted image
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 6 2005, 06:18 AM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 6 2005, 08:06 AM)
JB Weld, or any other product like it, ain't gonna stick to the material used to make these bushings ..........  The Cap'n

Ok.. I just have to say it.......

Use JB Weld on your shift bushings and YOU WILL DIE!!! chairfall.gif

(Sorry Cap'n)

Yea that's why I went to the threaded pipe nipple at the rear transaxle shift console (i don't know what you call it). NO SLOP it shifts wonderfully. put a grease fitting in it and all is gud.
ben1440
The boiling water did the trick. I had to get another one from Pelican, but it is in now. Thanks for the help guys!

--Ben
scottb
I actually had a harder time getting the rubber boot back on

how in the hell did you get this firewall boot back on?!?!?!?!?!

i tried for nearly an hour about 9 months ago then gave up and the thing just flops around now.

if there is a trick (other than patience, of which i have none) inquiring minds want to know!!!!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.