Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Strut spinning?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BPic
Hi everyone,

I have new Koni struts and everything has been either refurbished or replaced with new. I can't tighten the passenger side front strut. It appears to be spinning. Drivers side no problem. Any idea what may be wrong? confused24.gif

Thanks!!
Krieger
Are you referring to the nut on the very top of the strut or the nut on the strut body that you see when you take the wheel off?
IronHillRestorations
You've got to come up with a way to hold the large concave washer with the notch in it. I've got an old hook spanner that works good enough
BPic
Thank you. I think I have a hooked spanner. I give it try.

Thanks again!
Spoke
I would think an air gun would help accelerate the nut without spinning the shaft. Once a little tight you should be able to snug up with the wrench.
iankarr
agree.gif
Got both of mine off with an air impact. You need the fast torque of an impact wrench.
mepstein
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 22 2020, 04:30 PM) *

agree.gif
Got both of mine off with an air impact. You need the fast torque of an impact wrench.

agree.gif agree.gif

I never realized I couldn't live without an impact wrench until I bought one.
iankarr
Sorry...i misread your post and thought you were trying to get the nuts off. To tighten, I used a pipe wrench to hold the notched washer. Then just a beefy torque wrench to tighten to spec...
cary
Two uga dugas with a 600# impact wrench.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 22 2020, 11:53 PM) *

Two uga dugas with a 600# impact wrench.

You should probably rethink that advise. There is a torque spec for the strut nuts, and impact drivers can vary their output torque.

And if you need to hold the notched washer, a fan wrench from a 75 911 works great.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.